Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
with kernel-flasher-maemo you overclock by changing the scaling_max_freq (either temporarily in /sys/... or permanently in /etc/pmconfig)

with the other hardcoded kernels you don't need and cannot change the max. frequency

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
with kernel-flasher-maemo you overclock by changing the scaling_max_freq (either temporarily in /sys/... or permanently in /etc/pmconfig)

with the other hardcoded kernels you don't need and cannot change the max. frequency
Ok, thanks you !

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by kangou View Post
I'm also running the 900 Mhz Kernel and Conky displays "900Mhz" (and I can feel the difference), but scaling_max_freq gives me "600000"... There is something wrong ?
It is not titan's kernel but Lehto.

Lehto did it first but it looks like he didn't fix scaling governor and because of that the change of /sys/devices/.../scaling_max_frequency is NOT needed in his kernel.

So - don't worry, you run on 900MHz which is reported in /sys/device/.../cpuinfo_cur_frequency file. And /etc/pmconfig has no any influence on that in Lehto kernel version.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
tried the following after flashing the kernel to 900mhs according to jakiman...

- launch X Terminal
- type sudo gainroot (you need the rootsh package installed)
- type apt-get install --reinstall mp-fremantle-generic-pr

its says package mp-fremantle-generic-p is not available but is reffered to by another package

this may mean that the package is missing or obsolete. or only availablr from another source

package mp-fremantle-generic-p has no installation candidate

????????????

i habe middle east version .. is the package different ? if so then what is the package called ???

pls help

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
same here
Nothinhga wrong as lehto said

Thank you a lot

2 titan:

It looks like I found why it switches from 125MHz to 600MHz fast - it is work of drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_ondemand.c and it depends from cpuinfo.transition_latency.

Looks like frequency governor decides that transition to another frequency can be too long and choses a higher frequency (actually - middle of table) to switch from 125MHz.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stubble View Post
tried the following after flashing the kernel to 900mhs according to jakiman...

- launch X Terminal
- type sudo gainroot (you need the rootsh package installed)
- type apt-get install --reinstall mp-fremantle-generic-pr

its says package mp-fremantle-generic-p is not available but is reffered to by another package

this may mean that the package is missing or obsolete. or only availablr from another source

package mp-fremantle-generic-p has no installation candidate

????????????

i habe middle east version .. is the package different ? if so then what is the package called ???

pls help
Can you print here the output of x-terminal command

dpkg -l | grep mp-fremantle

?

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ reading, uk
been running 900mhz all day today all is good and the battery is allot better, i had the arsenal score on for the whole game refreshing every 2 mins and i hardley used any power.
I used to use half a battery.

The Following User Says Thank You to torres76 For This Useful Post:
Hi People. Firstly would like to say thanks to all the people who invest their time and effort into making all this happen and helping everyone. So thanks.

I'm having a problem setting the CPU clock speed permanently.

I used this to overclock to 1GHZ:

sudo gainroot
echo 1000000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

but how do I set it permanent? I don't understand this bit:

To permanently fix the limit edit the scaling_max_freq setting in /etc/pmconfig (using vi).

Sorry I know this must be a really silly question. Could someone write down the code if that's what it is? Thanks.

Also is this an alternative way to overclock or better than the first way that was introduced using the Maemo Flasher program?

hmm...
I tried
apt-get install --reinstall mp-fremantle-generic-pr
than it say...download something...I type "y" for yes ...its download it and installed it
after reboot product info is still unknown

dpkg -l | grep mp-fremantle
ii mp-fremantle-generic-pr 3.2010.02-8

can someone help me?

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom