Active Topics

Are there any phones currently being made or announced that come with a stylus besides the Note lineup?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
Are there any phones currently being made or announced that come with a stylus besides the Note lineup?
Unfortunately no one With build in pen. I love the note series but trying Sonys z ultra. Not as great as the note. I think note 4 could be something great. Note ll and lll was not as innovativt as note l so i hope samsung pulling some **** out of the hat later this year.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I've got a Note 2, and I'm not exactly thrilled with it, but I've found that trying to navigate with my finger is kind of impossible. I'll click the wrong thing 3 times before I finally get what I meant to select.

Guess I'll hold on to this phone until either a new phone with a stylus comes out, or one with a hw keyboard.

Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
HW keyboards were the only thing keeping me looking at new Android phones.
After they were gone, I stopped even looking at new phones.
Also, the camera key, and some other stuff were gone...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life View Post
Also, the camera key, and some other stuff were gone...
And now you can buy a button separately, which plugs into the headphone jack to provide functions previously available via a built-in button.
Attached Images

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
....Sonys z ultra. Not as great as the note. I think note 4 could be something great. Note ll and lll was not as innovativt as note l so i hope samsung pulling some **** out of the hat later this year.
SONY's flagship is a really great device.
It's major flaws come from LARGE bezels, high price, low availability.
And sure the software isn't as powerful as TouchWiz, but it certainly looks better in stock.

The OG NOTE 1 was very innovative because it was practically the first smart/super phone with a 5+ inch display, HD resolution, large battery, and a stylus. It had a competent software soon (ICS) and a very good camera and processor for its time.

The Note 2 was like a facelift model.

The Note 3 was as innovative as the Note 1.
It was one of the first devices to bump the resolution to 1080p. It has the brightest screen out of any mobile display out there, and on-average its a very bright screen. It also draws 30-40% less battery than the N2/S4's screen. It introduced Qualcomm's new 4G antenna which draws about x10 less battery than previous offerings. It has/had the largest battery in the market. It had the fastest processor and RAM for a looong time. At the time, its camera bested the Lumia in many factors. It was also the best at video recording, and introduced 4K shooting. The camera scored in the top 2-3 spots worldwide, losing due to poor lowlight performance (an improvement from the N2's "no lowlight performance"). The body was made incredibly thin, the bezels were further shaved, and the back leather was a premium addition. The improvements made to the S Pen were great (easier to hold, accuracy, pen silo in both positions, kickstand-feature).

I don't think the Note 4 is going to be better, yet as good as the Note 3:
It'll introduce a QHD resolution which wouldn't bring any noticeable improvements to the display, but will subtract from battery life. It might even subtract from the brightness and screen latency... not good.
If it comes with the SQD 801, it won't affect battery life positively and won't perform better. Likely it will come with SQD 805 and 4GB RAM, keeping battery life same while introducing a performance increase. Apps won't really take advantage of the 64-bit architecture, or the new-improved-ART coding, or the new-material design-experience. Battery size could increase slightly, yet overall battery life is expected to drop between 10-20% of the Note 3. The overall dimensions might get physically larger, including thickness too.

I'm more looking forward to the Note 5. The "tick" of the tick-tock cycle.
It'll probably bring in new innovations in terms of:
- Apps will be more powerful, stylish and use less battery life (64-bit, ART, Material Design).
- screen glare will be vastly reduced, eliminating the need to increase brightness so much outdoors.
- power-draw improvements in all sensors should increase battery life significantly.
- phone's screen and body could be designed to be less fragile and more "tuff".
- Could be physically same as Note 3 while supporting a larger screen and battery.
- microUSB 3.0 could be introduced, a proper alternative to Lightning port (unlike N3/S5's franken-port).
- front-facing speakers could become standard.
- on-screen buttons could finally be introduced.
- a built-in kickstand could be harnessed.
- wireless charging could be factory installed.
- Note 5 could become a Nexus with updates directly from Google and Project Silver.
- screen could be curved or even bendable.
- could be slightly cheaper $500-600 instead of $650-800

At the end of the day, it'll be worth more than the sum of all its parts.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
tl;dr

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Currently Z Ultra is on sale at Expansys for $350. I see it as the portable tablet (fits in my back pocket) with the largest screen. The size of the bezel is perfect, giving you enough space to hold it horizontally with either hand. Love it!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by ch88xy View Post
Currently Z Ultra is on sale at Expansys for $350. I see it as the portable tablet (fits in my back pocket) with the largest screen. The size of the bezel is perfect, giving you enough space to hold it horizontally with either hand. Love it!
The worst thing with z ultra is the worst fingerprint magnet ever. No other phones even come close. Luckily I have the white one, black is even worse.

Possibly to buy external stylus to z ultra.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
tl;dr

Well, aren't you so special!!

But seriously the Note series is probably the best phone that Android can offer. I've accustomed so easily from *needing* physical keyboards, to now preferring a large slab.

I'd like to see something like a franken-phone inspired by all the phones out there:
- iPhone's shape (flat sides, straight sides and circle corners).
- iPhone's logo in the back
- iPhone's arrangement of headphone port and microUSB 3.0 on the bottom

- Nokia N9's buttonless front
- Nokia N9's gestures to unlock
- Nokia L-1020's camera
- Jolla's concept of OtherHalf

- HTC Legend's unibody, with a top-mounted flap to access microSD, microSIM, removable battery
- HTC Arrive's front-facing stereo speakers
- HTC HD7's metal kickstand that protects the camera and amps the antenna

- LG G2's button arrangement (volume/power) on the back
- LG G3's camera and ois
- SONY's dustproof, waterproof, and shockproof features
- Samsung's trend of "zero bezel"
- Samsung's engineering and display technology

...all in a 5.2 inch flavour of a phone.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post: