Hello

I'm running Debian Wheezy on my PC, and have a few bits and pieces I want to try to get running on my N900.

Is anyone else running the Qt or device SDK under Wheezy? What's the best way of setting it up to develop for the N900? Are the versions of Qt and QtCreator that are in the Wheezy repository OK for maemo5 development (Qt-4.7.5, right?)?

Also, are the device-specific SDKs necessary, or is Qt sufficient to get the ball rolling? What sort of software benefits from using the Fremantle/Harmattan SDKs? I remember seeing a link in Maemo News, a month or two ago, linking to someone's blog of having to redo setting up the maemo5 SDK.

Background
I installed the Qt SDK from the Wheezy repository, using Synaptic, which pulls in QtCreator and all the base dependencies. For the SDK, the repo just says version 2, while QtCreator is 2.5.0 and supports Qt 4.8.1.

Re: versions: While an eventual wide audience would be great, my order of priority is: my N900, then Fremantle repositories, then other maemo versions, so ensuring compatibility with all Qt platforms isn't a consideration to start with.

Unfortunately, the IDE seems inconsistent with its own Help and when creating a new project, it is not possible to target any mobile devices (it only allows Desktop).

When I installed all the packages, Synaptic still shows a list of QtMobility packages, but not installed. Is QtMobility ever embedded into QtCreator or do I need to actively install them, and are they even necessary for N900 C/C++ development?

Although I have no problem with compiling from source, if the Debian maintainers have done the hard work of sorting out the dependencies, I would rather use the official binaries.
I've moved this post from the bottom of a thread where is was slightly off-topic, so apologies to those who might have seen it already.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

Last edited by demolition; 2012-11-14 at 22:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Qt in wheezy repository are QtCreator without any addition from Nokia, like the qtlibs and qtcreators you can found on qt-project.org website (except that qt-project have more recent version).

But you can use and install the qt sdk from Nokia on your Debian, it will just sit in your home, instead of the system.

Go here : http://www.developer.nokia.com/info/...f8/Qt_SDK.html

And you ll get the last qt sdk from Nokia which have pre configurated target for fremantle and harmattan. (i use it on wheezy too )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
That was a very rapid reply - Thank you!

I'm just registering with Nokia Developer at the moment. Shall report back. What with Nokia selling/moving Qt to Digia, and the fact there are packages called "Qt SDK" in Debian's repositories, there are quite a lot of opportunities to get confused/lost!

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Progress so far...

OK. So, Iceweasel (Debian's Firefox) died twice while trying to download the SDK. Both times after about 200MB into the 800MB download!

In the end I managed to get the SDK by recovering the URI from the download window and then using wget. I think the URI includes a log-in code, so it would not have been possible without registering etc. even though it's only HTTP, not HTTPS. Anyway, because of that doing something like this is worthwhile (as one line):
Code:
openssl md5 <file> | awk '{ if($2 == "<md5_str>") print "OK"; else print "fail"}'
- replacing <file> and <md5_str> accordingly. The md5 codes are on the Qt SKD download page.

Now I just need to build the thing!
Oops. Just seen in the rather limited text in the documentation that I should have grabbed the web install version, if targeting maemo5. Dammit.

... OK... tomorrow!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Edit: 21st Nov:

Finally got a chance to install this. Well, sort of... I have tried the online and offline versions (32bit Linux).They both require MASSIVE /tmp directories. When I set up my machine, I did so with the default LVM configuration - i.e. with a 400MB-ish /tmp partition.
When updating the offline version, the Maintenance Tool wants to use nearly 4GB of temporary space, while the online one tries to use about 850MB.

Just wondered:
- has anyone else has encountered a similar problem?
- is it 100% necessary to alter the partitions on my HDD, if I want to install the Nokia-Qt-SDK?
- how else might I rectify/prevent this problem?

Last edited by demolition; 2012-11-23 at 00:27. Reason: concat posts

Bump!
I need to reduce the impact this monster has on my 400MB /tmp. partition.

How can a tmp-directory be specified for a binary file, on the point of executing?

Is there something I can do in the command line? e.g.
Code:
# ./Qt-install.run <option 1> <option 2> ...

At last, it's installed! I managed to install the SDK by creating a 5GB folder with dd, then mounting the new folder on to /tmp.

To install the Maemo 5 toolchain, I used the package manager from the Maintenance Tool. However I can't get any Maemo 5 options to show up in the toolchain menu, only Maemo 6 (i.e. Harmattan). Nor any other menu.

Also, the Maemo folder that the Maitenance Tool installs contains the folder 4.6.2 - not 4.7.4 - why? Is this correct?

...anyone have any ideas?