Notices

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Now where the possibility to make p2p games is available it would be great to have someone to play and test(!) with! Who is willing?

Please send me an private message or make you contact details public in our little maemo miniature user directory.

Me on twitter

I don't like the way if I just want to practice, (say playing white) that every time you enter the moves for black the black pieces switch around. It makes you totally lose focus on the board.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
http://wiki.maemo.org/Miniature never made it to a proper release but the few people that I found that tested it and followed the project said that there was some good stuff in there. mikhas had a non-easy time back in the day dealing directly with QGraphicsView but now with Qt Quick the UI part should be simpler. How much of the backend can be reused, I don't know.

Bumping up this thread, just in case there is some steam left.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Today we have released Miniature 0.3 Berlin Defence. The wiki pages have been updated accordingly with new info and plenty of screenshots.

This is a total restart, having MeeGo Harmattan as primary platform. I someone is interested in working on a Maemo implementation please contact us. Miniature is based on Qt & Qt Quick, and there is an ongoing project to port Qt Quick Components to Maemo 5, so there is a possibility.

We have also made an announcement in the MeGo context, hoping to get someone interested in making Miniature work in MeeGo upstream, which would be another way to have it running in the N900.

As always, feedback is welcomed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
How to get Miniature to work in Maemo 5: http://wiki.maemo.org/QtComponents/Miniature - you can see the icon of the app installed in an N900 at

End users: don't worry, it will be eventually a single click to install just like any other app. That wiki page shows the changes needed at a code level, which are little details considering how big and complex Miniature has grown.

Miniature 0.4 is not that far and it does play real FICS games (with real chat with your opponent). We are still chasing a couple of features and some bugs, but the current version in master is fully functional already.

By the way: Twitter users, please follow and promote https://twitter.com/#!/MiniatureChess

Miniature 0.4 De Lucena released! Now the Nokia N9 and N950club can play chess games online. It looks like Maemo users will be able to enjoy it soon as well!

The release notes can be found at http://wiki.maemo.org/Miniature/0.4_De_Lucena

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Paris
Great news, thx!!
Will boot less on NITdroid if it'll be available for the N900...always cool to play against another human on line...

Tried to install the last version available for the N900 (guess it's 0.3, with the link in meego forum you gave) but for now I have only a black screen; will try again later to see if I'm missing some dependencies or smth.

The Following User Says Thank You to bingbings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Paris
Well finally installed on my N900 and played a few games as guest....

First impressions - it's pretty neat, love the interface (who the hell was involved in the weird chess program for maemo5 ??), easy to use, no problem in finding players, overall great experience for maemo chess players, big thx!!.This miniature program will not leave my N900 from now, well done Sir!!

I was experiencing some rotations problem - unable to play if I turned my N900 in portrait orientation, will try next time whitout having forced rotation enabled.

Not necessarily on the downside but (for me) : the 3 click needed to move might be too waisting time when playing blitz chess and I was wondering if the notification when the oponent move (actually the slim blue bar) couldn't be modified showing exactly the last opponent move (a classic square modified color could be an option).

edit : yeah forgotted - the version I installed is the 0.4 and I did it by adding the catalogue showed in the link in the meego forum (thx inean), need to install qt-components too.

Last edited by bingbings; 2011-09-15 at 06:39.

bingbings, thank you very much for your feedback.

I have answered you at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...11#post1089011 - let's use that new thread specific to the new Miniature and let's put this one into rest.

Tags
chess, fremantle, miniature