Notices

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
1. I think that adding one-liner required to make QML Browser act as default system browser to the first post would help many people (just like Open Media Player does it).
I have always used browser-switchboard to select my default system browser.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Whooooray, volume-key zooming! This mark the day when QML Browser become usable for everyday use, in my case.

It works great - but, as expected, I've encountered few bugs:

1. Sometimes during fullscreen, all interface buttons stop working (the one for switching out of fullscreen, swiping from left for cursor or from right for history - nothing works), while rendered page can still be scrolled and used normally. What's interesting - if I get out of fullscreen by sending:
Code:
wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,fullscreen
... I can access the top-bar menu (new window, etc), but clicking those doesn't produce any results (they turn blue, indicated that they were clicked, but that's all about it). It looks like whole interface gets stuck.

I haven't found a way to reproduce it reliably, but it happens relatively often.
I'm not sure of the cause of these fullscreen interface issues. I suspect it's some problem with QWebView that prevents UI updates. I'll have to do some investigation.

2. Cursor mode works somehow strange. If I use it directly after swiping (without clicking on cursor icon to make it sticky), I can't highlight text for copying by using shift - it just keep scrolling page.

Hoever, if I set it to sticky, all text that it hover over gets highlighted, even without holding shift.
When I first implemented the cursor mode, I had not finished the QML key handling in the components, so there was no way to handle the shift key press event. The key handling has since been implemented, so I should be able to complete the cursor mode implementation for the next update.

3. As for the issue reported by marmistrz and explained by Copernicus, it is also perfectly reproducible without switching user agent, as long as page is still loading. If it stops loading (either by itself, or via cancelling), issue disappears.
It won't be possible to fix rendering issues at the application level. It may be possible to fix them in the components, but I suspect the changes need to be made at a lower level than that exposed in the QtWebKit public APIs.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chill View Post
Using QMLBrowser with the virtual keyboard: after typing a URL and pressing enter, the main screen is shown again but the browser does not go to the URL. It requires opening the physical keyboard and pressing enter there.
This is a Qt problem. Qt applications don't receive a enter key press event when the enter key is pressed in the virtual keyboard. I'd be interested if anyone can cite a Qt application that handles the enter key press, then I can check the source code. It's on the TODO list, anyway.

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by Kossuth View Post
Been using the qml-browser for a while, and I have to say I like it. I would like to ask would it be of any benefit to compile the qml-browser also with thumb2 ISA to gain smaller memory consumption. Although it seems that qml-browser already uses little less memory compared to microb (assuming microb is responsible for both brwoser and browserd processes). This is just an idea, not really an feature request, because I'm more than happy with the pace this software is progressing. Thank you very much.
I don't yet have the thumb target set up in Scratchbox, and I'm not using CSSU-thumb (I'm still using some ancient version of CSSU-stable). Hopefully, I will find time to change that in the near future, at which point I'll start compiling my projects for thumb.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
After some extensive usage, I've found one "major" bug with QML Browser, and got idea for two small, yet nifty enhancements:

Bug:

1. Once, I required to turn network access off, while QML Browser was loading some page (at the same time). Immediately, QML Browser literally spammed me with "select network" maemo popups. Upon dismissing it, new one immediately popped up, all the time. What's even worse, actually selecting network and connecting haven't helped - it seems that large number of network connection requests got queued every second, and system was just executing all of them, one after another.

Add to this fact that network connection pop-up is impossible to minimize, and you get the picture. Summing it up, I had to kill QML Browser via ssh, from another device.
There is no bearer management code in QML Browser. Everything is handled by QtNetwork and QtWebKit. I will take a look at where the re-connection requests originate from and decide where it is best to implement handling of such cases (components or application).

Suggestions:

1. It would be nice, if browsing history via from-right swipe would be accessible even on the bookmarks screen (the one that appears after starting QML Browser). It's quite silly, that we need to open any_random page, before being able to select what we really want, from browsing history.
You can select from the full browsing history by tapping on the combobox arrow in the text field. The 'recent history' is unique the specific WebView instance (so if you have two browser windows open, each 'recent history' is different, just like in MicroB), and is only availble when a page has been visited in that WebView.

2. Not sure if it's doable here, but all major desktop browser seems to remember last used zoom level for given site (unless private data gets cleared... I hope).

It would be nice, if QML Browser could do that, too. there are many sites optimized for 1024 resolution as minimum, which require exactly one zoom-out in QML browser, to be fully usable. Repeating it for every visited page gets tedious - even more for sites, that actually require more zoom-outs. Having them render initially at last used zoom level would be great.
I don't think there is anything in the QtWebKit settings APIs that would allow me to do this. It is of course technically possible to do it, simply by storing the values in an appropriate format, but I'm not sure what that format would be. It would depend on what else was to be stored besides the zoom level.

Additional suggestions:

1. I think that adding one-liner required to make QML Browser act as default system browser to the first post would help many people (just like Open Media Player does it).
Well, I was not ready to suggest that people make it their default browser. The project's main aim has always been to help me test the components in a real-world scenario.

2. The "lacking features" point about scrolling with cursor keys is actually misleading - up&down arrows scrolling works fine, at least here. Haven't checked left&right scrolling.
The cursor key handling was only implemented in the last update, following implementation of custom key event handling in the components. I've now removed that reference from the first post.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sankt-Peterburg, Russia
Does it save cookies? Whenever I exit the site I've logined in to and open it again, I have to log in again. Is this intended?

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I don't yet have the thumb target set up in Scratchbox, and I'm not using CSSU-thumb (I'm still using some ancient version of CSSU-stable). Hopefully, I will find time to change that in the near future, at which point I'll start compiling my projects for thumb.
The issue with thumb versions is there isn't a proper repository system for them at the moment.
I am testing the next CSSU Stable release as we speak, Stable isn't dead yet

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/....28upcoming.29

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
One more bug noticed: after long browsing with the iPhone user agent (at least 5-10 mins) the windows can silently close (nothing in the long when running the binary) How to get some useful info about this?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

I don't think there is anything in the QtWebKit settings APIs that would allow me to do this. It is of course technically possible to do it, simply by storing the values in an appropriate format, but I'm not sure what that format would be. It would depend on what else was to be stored besides the zoom level.
I think that another interesting thing to store, would be last used position in page, when using back/forward. Desktop browsers put you exactly where you have been, while QML Browser just bring you to the top of page (after back/forward).

Well, I was not ready to suggest that people make it their default browser.
Well, just like sixwheeledbeast, I'm starting to use it as my main browser for N900 It's that good!

Even despite the "cookies issue", which indeed, makes usual way of reading/replying in forums (open all subscribed threads in new tabs - windows in N900's case - and read/reply to the one by one, closing done ones) much less sexy. I guess that handling cookies between opened windows it is in a to-do list?

The cursor key handling was only implemented in the last update, following implementation of custom key event handling in the components.
BTW, small issue with it - now, when you shift+up/down arrow in text fields (to highlight whole lines), page scrolls at the same time. I think disabling scrolling when shift (or any modifier?) is pressed, might be a good idea.

Also, two issues (small one, and a goddamned big blocker-sized one, in that order) I've noticed:

1. Browsing history (complete one) acts strange. For example, after visiting dozens threads on TMO - all in separate windows - and closing all of them, on next start of QML Browser, my history consists only of main TMO page, and login page. Applies to other sites too, of course. MicroB stores every sub-page (at least when visited in separate windows).

2. The old bane of everything Qt/QML related hit us again. I'm talking, of course, about the fact, that QML Browser completely ignores 80% of special characters binded to hardware keyboard. So, for example, if in your:
[/i]/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51[/i]

...you have [ mapped to shift + Alt_Gr (aka blue arrow) + f (or anything else, for that matter), it works in whole Maemo (terminal, microB, etc) QML Browser will only detec that you've pressed "-". Same forany other QT/QML program, sadly - but in browser, lack of majority custom-mapped keys is very painful, obviously.

If you find a way to fix it, you immediately receive Maemo's Nobel prize Not sure what can be done about it, though (so far, no one was able /knowledgeable enough to fix it - which made me hate QML, for a long while).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by ekze View Post
Does it save cookies? Whenever I exit the site I've logined in to and open it again, I have to log in again. Is this intended?
I just checked the code, and I notice I have not enabled persistent storage in the web settings, so it's probably just that. I can't be sure, as I don't a lot of experience with QtWebKit, so I'll enable the setting and try before the next update.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, components, hildon, maemo 5, web browser