Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Stop that! You're using up my CPU cycles and battery to render that!
If you wanted to save battery, you should WRITE ALL CAPS, because as we know, this means having voltage on one bit less for every character in memory.

Hi all!

I wonder whether it has MMS support.
The tech spec does not mention this feature.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by smilingshark View Post
I wonder whether it has MMS support.
The N900 does not support MMS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
In case anyone was wondering, I found out a bit more about Documents To Go, the suite of apps for opening MS Office documents on the N900.

There's a free version of the apps that allows you to open all Office files, however you will need to pay for the full version of Documents To Go for the ability to create/edit Office files.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by alephito View Post
I added this question to the Wiki page for you.
Thank you for your help. I deleted my post (to reduce clutter) when I saw that you had added my question to the wiki, but then I saw Jaffa's answer in the wiki, saying that
Nokia does not support host mode.

Sorry about the bold, but this is appalling. How can the device be a computer and not act as a USB host? I'll repeat my wiki question here, because once again the community will be left to work out an answer:

If USB is the only charging option, where will power come from for extended host-mode sessions (longer than battery life)? Y-cable again? Mini Y-cable is widely available, but not micro. Will Nokia supply a micro Y-cable, or are we back to hardware hacking?

OK, there are probably mini-to-micro adapters somewhere, but what else will be needed? Perhaps GA has some answers, since he was very definite about OTG operation in this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=54

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by scaler View Post
Nokia does not support host mode.

Sorry about the bold, but this is appalling.
Perhaps your intense reaction stems from a misunderstanding of the meaning of "support" in this context? Host-mode is available and it should work fine but Nokia does not test it or provide for it as an officially supported feature. That means that it's not guaranteed to stick around and it's not guaranteed to be completely functional. That does not mean that it wont work at all.

The vast majority of Nokia's customers don't care in the least about host-mode support. They're going to plug their devices into their Windows machines and transfer files, perhaps sync with Ovi Suite and that's about it. Since that's the case and given that Nokia has limited resources to dedicate, then the extreme expense of supporting a feature like this (and host-mode is probably the most expensive feature they could choose to support) just doesn't make any sort of sense.

I don't know how you will provide power to the device while in host-mode (perhaps tapping into the USB pins in the battery compartment), but I am sure there will be no issues using it for as long as the battery holds out.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-09-02 at 21:23. Reason: Hyphen-errant

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
jolouis will whip something up for us, I'm sure! We just need a micro USB OTG dongle, and the rest should be easy to piece together from off the shelf parts. (EDIT: It should be the same adapter as the N810 one he already stocks)

I'll try to see what I can find out about actual support...

Last edited by qole; 2009-09-03 at 03:01.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
OK bad news, using the standard micro USB cable, my always-useful Female-Female adapter, and an 8GB USB key, I installed and ran "usbcontrol" from the repositories and the mode wouldn't switch from "b_idle" to "host" at all. Trying the old "echo host > /sys/.../musb_hdrc/mode" had the same result. Whatever you write, it is overwritten with "b_idle"...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Why would we need to wait for it to load completely before scrolling? We never had to wait before... so... ?
depends on the site and usage. Many times I have to wait... even on a very fast connection.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by qole View Post
OK bad news, using the standard micro USB cable, my always-useful Female-Female adapter, and an 8GB USB key, I installed and ran "usbcontrol" from the repositories and the mode wouldn't switch from "b_idle" to "host" at all. Trying the old "echo host > /sys/.../musb_hdrc/mode" had the same result. Whatever you write, it is overwritten with "b_idle"...
That's very, very bad news. Any comment from Nokians? Being able to connect a usb stick has been a life saver to me several times.

EDIT: please Committee members, Alan, Tim, Jaffa, whoever, go ask why it behaves this way and whether there's a hack to circumvent the problem. That's really a regression. I can understand Nokia does not support something, but unfortunately this seems more like a prohibition...

Last edited by debernardis; 2009-09-03 at 11:38.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post: