Active Topics

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
I personally hate the concept of entire UI fading. That just makes me feel like the entire OS crashed, or kernel froze, and I bet I'm not alone with this.

I suggest the following:

1) Minimize unresponsive app to the dashboard with a throbber

2) If the app will not respond within, say 30 secs, bring up above suggested "kill this?" dialogue.

3) If the app hogs all resources, terminate automatically in one minute

4) Add notification area to the desktop, which tells you what happened. Windowsy "Your app just crashed, click OK" popups are just silly and should never be used.

EDIT: I guess the tray would do that better

You know, i don't like my idea so much that i have to keep pushing it, it just kind of annoys me i can't seem to make it well understood. So here it is again, for the last time (i promise!): when cpu usage goes above, say, 90%, the screen becomes black and white. There is no light fading (maybe even making it 5% brighter to compensate for lack of colors). There is no overlay and nothing to keep you from trying to interact with it, it just carries on as usual, but looks a bit different to let you know it's busy

Originally Posted by Suurorca View Post
Some apps are right to use lots of resources. When i decompress a .zip, i prefer a 10 second inactivity period and then back to idle rather than 2 minutes using 10% CPU. Apps should not be killed just because of resource use, and deciding which ones are not responding and which simply have high demands is hard

The Following User Says Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Suurorca View Post
This is dangerous if not done right. It's a mobile computer, right, so I might try to run my hypothetical number crunching tool on it - at 100% CPU.

Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
You know, i don't like my idea so much that i have to keep pushing it, it just kind of annoys me i can't seem to make it well understood. So here it is again, for the last time (i promise!): when cpu usage goes above, say, 90%, the screen becomes black and white. There is no light fading (maybe even making it 5% brighter to compensate for lack of colors). There is no overlay and nothing to keep you from trying to interact with it, it just carries on as usual, but looks a bit different to let you know it's busy
I see the logic and it's non-intrusive, but loss of color is loss of functionality. For text it might not interfere with ability to get information off the screen for the current task, but it might for other use cases. Image editing?

I like the LED idea, but I'd also like some form of visual indicator on-screen. It will boil down to implementation, but I think a discreet transparent overlay is less obtrusive.

Is it maybe an idea to make the indicator pluggable so people can write their own screen-dimming code later if they don't like the overlay?

Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
Some apps are right to use lots of resources. When i decompress a .zip, i prefer a 10 second inactivity period and then back to idle rather than 2 minutes using 10% CPU. Apps should not be killed just because of resource use, and deciding which ones are not responding and which simply have high demands is hard
Completely agree. It's my ARM processor to tax, dammit!

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I think the problem of fading out the colour to black and white is that a lot of the interface is black and white already, so it won't be very obvious, especially to people will partial colour blindness. I don't like the idea of minimising the app either, for the same reason that you might at least want to be able to read the frozen screen. I still vote for an indicator either in the status area, or overlaid on/replacing the top-left task button.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
I suggested that the display background light should be dimmed under heavy load. Not too power needy, plus as a added bonus, more juice available for processing!?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
How about making the 'AE' swirl in a cube form. So rotating 360 degrees in 3D. The middle always stays same, so this can be used as pointer target.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
This is dangerous if not done right. It's a mobile computer, right, so I might try to run my hypothetical number crunching tool on it - at 100% CPU.
Or kill it yourself:

N800/OS2007
-- Metalayer-crawler delenda est.
(How ironic. )

The point is, to still be able to murder the damn thing in case it hogs.

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has thought of adding a 'System Busy' indicator to the N900? Perhaps whenever the system usage level is above 20% the LED on the N900 could light up a certain color to show that the system is busy doing something. It would function similar to the hard drive busy light on many computers, but for CPU usage instead.

This would be super cool and add to it's "computer-like" functionality.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
why don't you use cpuload or cpumem applet? ^^

the led would be quite irritating and would suck up the battery faster as it is the case at the moment - and that's already bad enough xD

Last edited by b666m; 2010-02-16 at 03:08.