SubCore - I get Your point, but I'm afraid that without proper communications, there may be a problem to get those required 250 people to send *real* money (not only sign-up). I'm not trying to say that Smoku doesn't care about people involved, but it seems for me that he may use some help @ communication field. Well, lets just wait for his response.

Also, I'm definitely *not* trying to make this "product release event", lets leave this to our long lost Nokia friends I'm really talking about communication with such 250 "brave souls".

---

As for carrying tablet with You - just remember, that via miniPCIe HSPA module - and proper software - You can use this thing as phone. I agree that 7'' thing may be not "best" suited for phone use, but on the other hand - with bluetooth (or any) headset, why not? It also contain build-in speaker and microphone, so "loudspeakers" are also an option.

As for future devices *if* this project succeed - there will be definitely one, even if Smoku would be not interested in doing so. If really, after this project being what we want it to, no one skilled enough would be interested in gathering 1000 people (remember, 2-3 years after first CordiaTAB, when we need more modern hardware), I would definitely do. For me, community designed hardware is final goal.

Of course it depends on many factors - some of them being voted in near future, as our "roadmap", some of them depending on how this project will turn out...

Just remember. CordiaHD isn't our "only hope". It's one of possible solutions, that seems quite neat for me. But, there is also MeegoCE, for example. Lets separate Operating System thing from hardware thing. We have now few interesting option as OS, but none hardware option. So, we need to create one ourself

First step, by gathering 250 people and buying existing, yet fully compatible device seems all right to me. Nice "proveground" for things like how this project is maintained (communication included ). Then, gaining experiences for this - cause I'm quite sure we will face some unexpected problems - we can try harder approach, with designing our own hardware. So, basically, lets start with easier and "smaller" - but still effective - approach, and then, after learning on it (and using it happily) lets try harder things.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by te37v View Post
How realistic is it that if this device succeeds...

1. There will be another device after the Cordia Tab?
2. The one following the Cordia Tab has updated hardware?

While me and many others would like to support this project, there doesn't seem to be too much of a point if all we get is an outdated machine running open source software that may not have a future. However, if this can lead to a device with beast specifications then many would see it worthwhile. Would Smoku (or someone) be willing to work on device with customs specs?
We have already started talking about the GEN2 hardware. I hope to be able to go to the Open Hardware Summit on Spet. 15 where I will have the GEN2 in the back of my mind.

Generally, I think we would like to have a physical form factor similar to the N8x0 or Dell Streak 5, but of course we are at early stage and things change. I would not hold out much hope for "beast" specifications if you mean the latest and greatest CPU, GPU, super hi-res display, etc. Open source is the first priority for Cordia project which necessitates some tradeoffs.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
n8x0 form factor is way to go for mobile users.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
I second openness over performance. Although, the same time, I prefer performance over low price (of course, with some limitations ) Not that I represent rich part of society - I just like to buy one good device and use it for years, instead of changing every year or two.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Maybe You haven't noticed - you probably have not - but increased interest in CordiaTAB started when bunch of people, including me, advocated this on current pre-election "future for maemo.org" threads. Most of people didn't even knew about Cordia project, before that.
I can testify to that :-)

Another aspect is that a team, even very small, would probably help. That doesn't mean giving up control of the project : it's just that in many successful endeavours, public relations are not handled by the same person as the technical stuff.

Remember the two Steves - Wozniak & Jobs ? :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
I'm looking at getting Always Innovating's Smart Book and definitely wanting to run Cordia on it.

Not that I don't like the CordiaTab, but the Smart Book is what suits my needs better.

Originally Posted by canuckkat View Post
I'm looking at getting Always Innovating's Smart Book and definitely wanting to run Cordia on it.

Not that I don't like the CordiaTab, but the Smart Book is what suits my needs better.
Smart Book is interesting idea but previous hardware was a total disaster. Poor build quality. I think that has not changed since (although I may be wrong).

It may be interesting as a purely developer device for Cordia, since it allows easy access to motherboard, and had lots of space for internal usb hardware.

If you have any questions about it, I've got one TouchBook bellow my desk.

Original owner has posted following upon receiving it:

http://majic.rs/blog/always-innovati...st-impressions
http://majic.rs/blog/always-innovati...-the-day-after

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-20 at 04:42.

Before You propose any hardware for consideration, check if it's 100% compatible with our needs, i.e. got open drivers/modules etc... It would be pity to lack DSP acceleration, for example
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Before You propose any hardware for consideration, check if it's 100% compatible with our needs, i.e. got open drivers/modules etc... It would be pity to lack DSP acceleration, for example
DSP brings you to closed source waters (TI), and AI Touch/Smart Book is beagle-board based, so I guess it fits the purpose.

In fact it is more open than any of nokia devices, past or future.

My remark was about poor casing quality, and annoying keyboard and touchpad.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-20 at 19:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
i have signed for preorder cordia tab. community = openness = freedom = cordia = linux = n900
And as a user of n900 would like to support cordia

The Following User Says Thank You to nike_ab For This Useful Post:

Tags
cordia, fremantle ux, hildon, maemo 5 ux, meego, sanctuary, the garden