Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
This is the elephones Problem, photo dug out by netman:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...ogs-images.png
Yes that is the light leak issue Elephone have. Or more precisely, the screen module's problem.

It doesn't affect any basic use, the light appears on the edge of the glass not the screen. So the display bit of the screen isn't affected. And the "leak" mostly visible when ambient light is dark and screen is bright (like having some white content)

Perhaps for some manufacturer it's not an issue as it doesn't affect use at all and only can see under certain circumstances.

But we decided to try to fix it. The process is not the easiest as we are not involved in the manufacturing of the screen module but we managed to make it to the way it should look like. And then a series of verification and reliability test needs to be performed again.

A lot of extra costs but this is our determination and promise to the customers.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
But I'd still say that rubber coating is better than glass surface. For example my Oneplus X (w/ Sailfish), both sides of the phone feel like glass. You can use the phone as a spirit level; if the surface isn't completely even, the phone will slide and fall down The phone is way too slippery and only usable with rubber covers.

And if you make a protecting cover like Otterbox for n900, it will greatly increase the thickness of the device so it won't fit to any pocket anymore...
My OPX is my favorite SFOS compatible phone. I really like the look of it. Too bad it only partially supports US frequencies resulting in spotty and crappy service here. I deal with the super-slippery aspect using a Poetic case. It looks really nice on the phone and has grippy nubbins.

Re: an otterbox style case for the Pro1. Even with the extra bulk, I think I'd like to have something that protective. It saved my N900 several times. And I had the jeans with an N900 shaped wear patch to show for it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 580 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgium
Here my aggregation of the info coming out of NYC event: http://matland.be/fxqa/

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by netman View Post
Here my aggregation of the info coming out of NYC event: http://matland.be/fxqa/
I forgot to add this earlier. Feel free to add it to this info page. Its the setting menu for the slider for locking the orientation and the backlighting.
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Yes that is the light leak issue Elephone have. Or more precisely, the screen module's problem.
[...]
But we decided to try to fix it. The process is not the easiest as we are not involved in the manufacturing of the screen module but we managed to make it to the way it should look like. And then a series of verification and reliability test needs to be performed again.

A lot of extra costs but this is our determination and promise to the customers.
You should try using a black permanent marker to paint the edges of the protector to black. You know, the same way, which invented decades ago for CD''s? To prevent laser light from escaping from the surface of the CD and this way improve sound quality
(It doesen't work.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
You should try using a black permanent marker to paint the edges of the protector to black. You know, the same way, which invented decades ago for CD''s? To prevent laser light from escaping from the surface of the CD and this way improve sound quality
(It doesen't work.)
Normal paint will fall off and liquid damage the display under hot or humid or both circumstances. This is where tests are needed.

If using special paint which can hold high temp and humid, the process itself needs high temp and can damage the display. It's certainly not as easy as that.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Hey Chen!
Could you disclose the name of the technique used to make the new back surface more grippy?

I have clearly generalized too much yesterday when i stumbled over the term soft-grip used by NY attendees.
Now after a night of research i realize there are gazillions of material combinations and techniques to give a surface more grip and just the public/marketing reduces all to one term.

My gripe seems to be with bad and/or cheap mixtures of Styrene Ethylene Butylene Styrene SEBS used in the early days and in low end products nowadays.

Only the name would be enough so i can research further for myself. Thank you!

EDIT, Is there any image where we can see the new back? The NY attendees understandably concentrated on the front and i did not see a picture of the new back surface.

Last edited by mosen; 2019-08-31 at 10:22.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I'm an little concerned about this "Light leaking issue": It does not affect useability or longevitiy in any way, but you invested time and money to modify a component, that could have been bought and used off the shelf?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Holter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
and these extra costs will be added to non-preorder buyers price (that's why we still don't know the price lol)! brilliant.
Again: don't buy, if you don't like it.

It's not your decision what is part of development of the product. Yours is only to decide if you can agree with the contract offered.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
and these extra costs will be added to non-preorder buyers price (that's why we still don't know the price lol)! brilliant.

using a screen protector is same level as using TV remote control inside a plastic bag. how come in the era of Nokia N95 (which had bare LCD without any plastic over it) nobody tried to protect it with anything? and it never broke or scratched by miracle! And now, in era of pseudo-tempered, very solid gorilla-glasses, you still need 2-3 layers of another protective layers over your sreens? that's total ******. and I don't want to pay for tests of something adeqate person would never use.
Ha! shaihkritzer, you're back I was wondering when we would see your negative input again. I guess all the positivity about the Pro1 and the NYC event in the last couple of pages drove you off, but Chen's remark finally gave you something to bite into. With your assumptions of course totally disregarding and disrespecting all of the hard work Chen's team is delivering.

Well, as Amboss said, no one is forcing you to do or buy anything. If you don't like it, just walk away. Certainly, no one here will miss you, since you don't actually ever deliver any constructive criticism, but always negative assumptions, doom-thinking, and repeating for very selective topics how 'it was better during the "old days"'. I think we are fully capable of doing that without you, thanks

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit