Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by nappleton View Post
If i have the option to switch this phone as i'm only 10 days into my contract and having masses of problems with freezes and rebooting should i get rid of it now for the htc touch pro 2?
If you have a reboot issue, upgrade to PR1.1.1 or send it in for repair. It is not normal.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Karachi, Pakistan
Thanks for posting quite informative article.

Looking forward for MeeGo running on my N900

// chall3ng3r //

thanks Stskeeps.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leicester,UK
can someone explain what QT is please,is it like an enviroment (i.e.java enviroment)?

Secondly does maemo 5 run smoothly on the N8xO???just thinkin although the processor is really good on the n900 maemo6 may need a better processor???

all in all though im happy with my n900 would trade it for anythingggg

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mobile
Originally Posted by ashyk36 View Post
can someone explain what QT is please,is it like an enviroment (i.e.java enviroment)?
QT is a framework for drawing GUI elements. Every OS has its own framework, QT is an OS independant GUI. Java is a language with its own OS independant GUI framework, however QT can be used with Java, C, Python etc ....so one framework regardless of language.

Originally Posted by ashyk36 View Post
Secondly does maemo 5 run smoothly on the N8xO???just thinkin although the processor is really good on the n900 maemo6 may need a better processor???
Maemo6/meego WILL run on the n900, and it will be available, just not officially available from Nokia. The question being discussed here is, 'should we lobby nokia to OFFICIALLY support new OS versions for some period time after a device is released.'

My 2 cents...

I bought an N900 because I was fed up with devices that wouldn't run the way I wanted.
I looked around a bit: Symbian, iPhoneOS, Android all had their pros and cons.
The openness Meamo, the Linux desktop-ish architecture,
and the QT environment convinced me.
I don't know yet what to think about Meego; it's too early, with too many unanswered questions.
I wish they had stated: "we'll go all QT (1) and deb packages (2)".
I'm not a developer so the tech choices don't affect me that much for now
besides I have no interest in learning a new environment twice a year.
But still my goal remains the same: to develop QT apps fitting my needs and share the code with to community in the event it might but useful to someone else (they might port it to Meego).
If Meego proves to be a good thing, has a low learning curve
and works on N900, I'll be glad to flash my device. :-)
Now I do need to find the time to get started.

(1) no more GTK for the sake of a uniform UI/API
(2) I've worked with RPM before and know you can run into dependencies hell a lot easier that with deb. yet it's only related to the developers laziness ;-)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm the owner of two N800s. Nokia completely stopped supporting them more than a year ago. There have been no usable community updates or OS replacements for my N800s since that time.

No disrespect of Stskeeps (or the other core Mer team members) meant in any way, and I am a complete layman with only the pretensions of hackerhood, but I must say that the task of backporting an OS (or even taking over the bugfixing / update process of an existing, abandoned OS) is colossal. It is gargantuan. It is intimidating. And it takes a lot of resources to do right. That either means a long time with a few qualified volunteers or a short time with a huge mass of qualified volunteers. Both are very difficult to get.

So, while I would like a Maemo 4 update on my N800s, or a Maemo 5 backport, or a Meego backport for any of the Maemo devices, I'm not going to hold my breath, nor will I get really upset if it never happens.

My attitude about my Nokia devices has been the same as my attitude in most of my life*:
  • Don't worry about the future. Be grateful for what you've got right now. Go a step further: celebrate the cool stuff you have right now.
  • Don't whine and complain about what you want but don't have. That never works, except for spoiled children on their doting parents. Focus your energy usefully and do constructive things to get what you want, or re-evaluate what you want and see if you can get it another, more achievable way.
  • Don't go into something with unrealistic expectations. If you buy something to do a task that it cannot do, either because you didn't do your research or with the hopes that it will do it in the future, you're doing it wrong. Unless of course you've got the skills and some concrete plans to enable that task yourself.
  • Expect everything to take longer and cost more. Be skeptical of optimistic statements. Be skeptical of pessimistic statements too. Actually, be skeptical of everything.
  • Hope for the best, but expect the worst. This will lead to a host of pleasant surprises when things work out.
  • Encourage helpful people. Ignore trolls.
  • Know that everyone is merely human. We all make mistakes. We all have different opinions.**

* Well, at least the attitude I aspire to. In practice, I don't always succeed. Well, even that may be optimistic. Be skeptical of that statement.
** Most of them are wrong.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
"The Following 347 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post"

Epic.

Thanks for the post!

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Ignore trolls.
Sometimes you have to nuke'm from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Sometimes you have to nuke'm from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
True, but the higher you throw them, the harder they hit when they get back... Gravity, ain't it a bi*ch?!

Tags
be happy, be worry, don't worry, reading is a skill, stskeeps rats, too long?, you're the problem