Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by slender View Post
People saying that there is no problem are people who turn off every theme and bling to bare minimum and care only about raw processing power when running script from CLI.
Not necessarily true. I've loaded mine up, including themes and applets, and it's still very responsive. I'm not dismissing any reports of N900 slowness, but I do still maintain it's not the black and white issue that some claim or insinuate it to be.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by masq View Post
@slender:

thanks for the help with this. my rootfs is 73% full with 60.4M left (out of 227M). Why is that an issue?
No itīs not for you. Try to keep it that way. If it gets full the system starts to behave weirdly.

I have the cpu load applet installed and it often hits the red bar and not when I'm particularly doing anything interesting (though sometimes its cause its trying to connect to the 3g network). The problem is that when this happens the phone gets very sluggish and it takes forever to open a terminal and get top up and then I don't see anything weird.
Ok. You have problem. This is not normal.

This really feels to me like swapping problems from back in the days when we didn't have gigs of ram but when I check top I don't see any process eating up too much memory.
And cpu column? Any processes eating all cpu?

In the thread from my last post the "personal ip" widget was suggested as a possible culprit and it might be so I disabled it. I can try to kill all the other widgets for a few days and see how things go but its also hard to intentionally reproduce the problem.
YES. This is excatly FIRST THING TO DO, when you are having some weird slowdowns.

I haven't been too careful about this but just opening a bunch of apps and using them the phone stays pretty responsive. After a few days however it seems that the phone randomly gets less responsive when a few browser windows are open. I haven't tested this carefully enough to be sure this is the pattern but the problem reappears a lot but I just can't consistently figure out its cause.
This is not resolution but just cheezy workaround:
- reboot your phone once in a while. It might make things better
- also clearing microb cache once in a week could make difference

Today for instance I had only the music player loaded (and paused) yet when I received a phone call the phone screen stayed blank until i missed the call. It also took a few presses of the power button to get a live screen to swipe my finger accross (and my phone does not have a lock code). The only other thing besides the music player was that there was a waiting message notification for me. In the thread I linked to above message notifications seem to be linked to this sort of slowdown a lot.
Someone also reported here that he got black screen everytime someone calls.

What i have seen is that pulseaudio eats just too much cpu even when you are not playing anything. Also for me sometimes when call is coming i have to wait couple of rings before i can answer because after heavy usage my phone is just stalling and itīs touchscreen just doesnt get any taps. Also switcinh to portrait mode seems to make it go really slow so i have switched rotation to automatic so it doesnt try to rotate it when iīm using it on landscape mode.

Last edited by slender; 2010-02-01 at 14:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
@juise-

Thanks for the info. The problem does seem like swapping to me and at first I thought I was just a desktop boy learning to deal with a mobile world but, and I'm sorry to make this comparison, my girlfriend's iphone 3gs can handle the same webpages+playing music without batting an eye. I'm not hitting up particularly heavy flash sites (in fact I think they're mostly flashless) and all my music is mp3 format.

If this problem is just caused by some bad widget I have enabled then that's great and I'll try to figure it out and disable it. But others really don't find the whole system becomes sluggish when using the music player?

Regarding your other comments: I'd love to see the firmware updates that speed up Ovi maps (right now I prefer to use my gf's iphone when we're lost), speed up the camera and GPS locking, give us a portrait mode virtual keyboard, I could go on...

I knew going into this the extra apps would be on us and i wanted it that way but its annoying that the core is missing essential features and no one but nokia can do anything about it. Also everyone said this thing was blazing but it really doesn't feel that way :-(

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Not necessarily true. I've loaded mine up, including themes and applets, and it's still very responsive. I'm not dismissing any reports of N900 slowness, but I do still maintain it's not the black and white issue that some claim or insinuate it to be.
Yep. Sorry. This just is one thing that boils me up too much :|

Last edited by slender; 2010-02-01 at 15:06.

Originally Posted by masq View Post
Thanks for the info. The problem does seem like swapping to me and at first I thought I was just a desktop boy learning to deal with a mobile world but, and I'm sorry to make this comparison, my girlfriend's iphone 3gs can handle the same webpages+playing music without batting an eye. I'm not hitting up particularly heavy flash sites (in fact I think they're mostly flashless) and all my music is mp3 format.
FYI. Using speakers is heavier for CPU so try to use headphones. And comparison to different devices is exactly what users should do!

If this problem is just caused by some bad widget I have enabled then that's great and I'll try to figure it out and disable it. But others really don't find the whole system becomes sluggish when using the music player?
So all your problems are realeated to listening music on background?

Regarding your other comments: I'd love to see the firmware updates that speed up Ovi maps (right now I prefer to use my gf's iphone when we're lost), speed up the camera and GPS locking, give us a portrait mode virtual keyboard, I could go on...
But heyyy. You got soooo many pixels so do not expect

Looks like you have bought wrong device :|

I knew going into this the extra apps would be on us and i wanted it that way but its annoying that the core is missing essential features and no one but nokia can do anything about it. Also everyone said this thing was blazing but it really doesn't feel that way :-(
Do not believe hype. Think all the gadgets this way: Everything is utterly complete s*Ī%#t until its proven wrong by yourself. Long live the pessimism

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
I am having this issue too.
I'm using the cpu-mem applet too, and I'm getting CPU spikes CONSTANTLY.
Switching through apps are painfully slow a lot of the time, since the N900 sometimes won't react to my input at all, sometimes it'll react 3-4 seconds after I've pressed.
And when it finally decides to switch to another windows, the drawing of the window is also extremely slow and choppy.

Music playing in the background will randomly skip, when multitasking are opening a new link in the browser. Again because of the CPU spikes.

Receiving a phone call while I'm listening to music, and browsing mobile websites, is always a gamble, since I won't know if I can answer in time.

I've tried running conky, but every time I get the cpu spikes, I can't multitask and switch to it, hence, I can never get to see exactly what is causing these spikes. I can see, however, that the cpu is toggling up and down constantly. Seems excessive for light use.
Is there another system load app, that will survey the cpu use, and output it to a log, for later investigation ?

The Following User Says Thank You to real_per For This Useful Post:
Posts: 68 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Chicago
Are there are scripts one can run to clear caches, reboot, etc? I find these problems about every two days. When I reboot, it's all good and I go on my merry way. But it seems like it would be nice to have a utility that takes care of some of these housekeeping issues. Maybe I am missing something.

It would be nice to test phone with single webpage with heavy flash content (browserd sometimes goes nuts and hits high cpu even its minimized) and play music same time. That would be ultimate test how responsive phone is when it rings. I think that everything should go almost sleep when phone rings. In my opinion it should be priority number one.

It happens once in awhile to mee also. I have to wait couple of rings before i can answer and this is after using phone quite heavily. Others who are having this issue i would suggest that setting turning control to automatic takes away need of rotation when you are using phone in landscape mode so you miss one ring less.

hey there, im sorry to hear of your troubles.

right so i can agree completely agree with 2 and 3 really more apps would be grand, but 1 we need to sort!

so people were saying about the cpu spiking, i believe this is down to clock throttling so dont worry too much about that.

can linux and arm suffer fron dpc latency?

the device is strange but it is brutally fast, i sat for six hours on the weekend putting it through its paces, flooding memory and pushing cpu.

i did this by playing youtube videos with mass browsing and i experienced zero lockups,

below i have a picture, youtube was playing but is white because the page hadn't rendered on the app selector or page (but the video was playing in the background)

The device should be running down the tasks you describe like a hot knife going through butter im planning a two week run of the device perminently on and so far no slow downs, im on 48 hours and 26 minutes at the moment

Last edited by Catacylsm; 2010-02-01 at 17:34.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catacylsm For This Useful Post:
I notice that after rebooting the phone , the indexer kicks in and hogs the CPU up for about 2-3 minutes. During this time the phone is quite unresponsive. Although this is relatively short time , but long enough nonetheless to make it unpleasant.

I cant see any reason as to why indexer should be on the phone full stop to be honest .

Tags
you're a mess