Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I'd be surprised if this was really so.
I find the Jolla device to be just perfect tool for my work and personal needs, in fact I could go as far as claim it is the best phone I ever have owned

How do you find out, BTW, the device that they are using fot twitter? Not being a twitter-bird myself I do not know this, is it possible to find from somebody's tweets what was the device?
Usually the tweets will have a footer saying "via APP for xx device" or something similar hence when they announced their existence people were saying they are all N9 fans by using one of the third party apps on the N9 to tweet...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Maybe sales are not so important.

http://www.ibtimes.com/amazon-nearly...m-care-1513368

Just need a lot of investors!

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
I was so excited by the Jolla launch that I paid to go to Finland to collect it. Had a wonderful time too. The interest on this forum was huge.

10 months on and it is very quiet here. The weeks leading up to to an N900 or N9 release would see a torrent of threads and posts. The Jolla updates barely get noticed, I have started the last couple of update threads and even a week and counting delay does not generate much comment.

I stopped using my Jolla as a smartphone when on a weekend break I realised it wasn't up to scratch and i found myself envying other devices and borrowing my wifes phone.

Terrible reception, awful video sound, dim screen that made typing impossible, no sat nav, and struggling to get back to the camera view if i had looked at a picture preview all added up.

Then I don't understand the community aspect any more. Jolla.together is a mess, official announcements seem to be all about India launch and very little on the OS. Exciting initiatives have never arrived and i just feel it has all run out of steam a bit. I have never met another Jolla user in the UK or anyone who has heard of it. ...and still no ability to purchase apps which will stifle Sailfish native apps.

I am amazed, however, at the quality of those who are producing stuff essentially for free. Tweetian, Friends and quite a few others have been brilliant.

I sold my n9 a few weeks back and it still feels like a betrayal, I can't say I have any such feelings for my neglected Jolla.

However I live in hope. Hope that some of the screens and functions seen on the demos back in the launch will be available and that battery % will appear on the largely redundant lock screen and that swiping left or right on that screen may actually do something.

So i hope the ship continues to sail and wish a safe voyage. I may get on board again when the cabins are complete.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Sure there is more anticipation for an update when you don't know whenever it will be released or if it all.

Look at N9 updates, they came about all 6 months and after PR1.2 nobody was sure if PR1.3 would ever arrive. Also you didn't know what will be in the update and if it will fix bug x or bug y which you might have.

With Jolla we already know since a few weeks what will be in update 9. We got informed when it will be released, then we got informed that it got delayed and then we got another information that it won't be released this week. So we will get Update 9 next week.

See the difference? We just don't have anything to talk about.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Sure there is more anticipation for an update when you don't know whenever it will be released or if it all.

Look at N9 updates, they came about all 6 months and after PR1.2 nobody was sure if PR1.3 would ever arrive. Also you didn't know what will be in the update and if it will fix bug x or bug y which you might have.
Yeah, and you could not be sure of that even after the update had launched as there were no freakin changelogs, volunteers had to painstakingly compile incomplete lists of what might have changed and what possibly was corrected

With Jolla we already know since a few weeks what will be in update 9. We got informed when it will be released, then we got informed that it got delayed and then we got another information that it won't be released this week. So we will get Update 9 next week.

Yes, and another thing is that the updates just drop by casually "just like that", think about it, this is going to be the 9th in what, 10 months since the device was launched. Remember when Nokia gave us PR1.9 huh?

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany

Sounds like transparency is a bad thing for publicity then. People only talk about companies or products that are kept secret and fed by rumours.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
10 months on and it is very quiet here [about Jolla --ed].
You've got to be kidding. Have you looked at Active Topics recently? It's a torrent of Jolla related posts. In a forum called talk.maemo.org, a Maemo user feels like an outsider. There was a time I considered leaving the forum for that very reason.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You've got to be kidding. Have you looked at Active Topics recently? It's a torrent of Jolla related posts. In a forum called talk.maemo.org, a Maemo user feels like an outsider. There was a time I considered leaving the forum for that very reason.
I think his point is more on the developmental aspects of the device instead of bla bla threads like sales, launches etc. Compared to the early days of the n9, I too do feel that the apps and developer interest seems lower. For example name the five most popular apps' threads for the Jolla and you will be hard pressed to do so while for the N9 you could even name 10.

Also his frustration is understandable when coming from a device like the N9 that had many basics covered out of the box or via those relatively quick pr releases whereas even proper native offline navigation is still not covered on the Jolla.

With the launch in India I was thinking of ordering one and getting it shipped via my relatives to Singapore but the massive gaps in the OS and numerous build quality issues have put me off and have decided to keep my S4 as daily driver instead.

This is where I feel Jolla has failed till date; other than the pure GNU/Linux strength it has so many basic flaws that even a fan like me rather waits it out... The mobile world is much more difficult and different now then when the N9 launched so expectations and functions are much higher/different. So to be worse than the n9 in basics is certainly not encouraging.

Anyway that's enough off-topic from an outsider looking in...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2014-09-24 at 17:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
With the launch in India I was thinking of ordering one and getting it shipped via my relatives to Singapore but the massive gaps in the OS and numerous build quality issues have put me off and have decided to keep my S4 as daily driver instead.
Well, you'll have to experience it to properly appreciate it, I think
Have you ever tried the Jolla device, held it in your hand, or are you concerned based on other people's evaluations?

When the device first came out, I have to say I was not so happy with the features, but after 8 cycles of SW updates it is totally different beast now. And still, I hear from people who have heard about it but not used it that "it's the device that has not got even landscape mode in the browser"

There might be something in the build quality issues, it feels the quality of devices can vary a lot; For example my device has had none of those problems many people have complained about, and I am not the only one. There are lots of people here who have no need for funny battery tricks or whatever on their devices.

This is where I feel Jolla has failed till date; other than the pure GNU/Linux strength it has so many basic flaws that even a fan like me rather waits it out...
No flaws here, sir

The mobile world is much more difficult and different now then when the N9 launched so expectations and functions are much higher/different. So to be worse than the n9 in basics is certainly not encouraging.
Well, My N9's been there on the shelf since last November when I got my Jolla. It's still powered on, of course, and hanging off my WLAN so I can ssh into it to do some hacks now and then, but you can hardly call it a mobile device now. It's just another linux box at my home now.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

Update can also be downgrades..happend to jolla users as well as others...but to me its easier to take issues if you are informed about release date, delays and stuff so i think jolla is on the right way, i would even want more info. Good or bad Doesent matter.. https://www.yahoo.com/tech/apple-pul...321257444.html.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-09-24 at 20:33.