Notices

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
Originally Posted by n900_man View Post
What functionality does this provide over whatsapp? Advanced encryption?
A lot. In example:

1) PC Client that synchronize all the conversations, photos, and every other file. So if you send me a file in a conversation by the phone I can use Telegram Desktop and download it directly from PC. (search for Telegram PC client on search engines)

2) Is free to use. Ok some bucks/year aren't a suicide but I have to include also that one.

3) Is veeeery faster than Whatsapp.

4) It is SIM independent, so I can have multiple connection using the same number from my PC, my phone, my tablet and so on.

The problem is that a lot of people stops at "But a lot of my contacts doesn't use Telegram, they use Whatsapp"

Originally Posted by n900_man View Post
Well while telegramm is ok for u, is not ok for many people. Pretty all contacts in my list using whatsapp, and I can't see need to migrate to telegram. What functionality does this provide over whatsapp? Advanced encryption?
Videocalls, no limit in filesize, no Facebook.....forget about Whatsapp.

Played around with it for a while now, but there still is lots of work necessary on N900-version/Pidgin-Plugin - I am not able to do videocalls atm, maybe a config-prob, dont know - file-transfer doesn´t work proper, menu/buttons are too small here and there....but in general the functions are great - hopefully it will be fixed and worked on soon.

But all in all it already have around the same functionality working as whatsapp! Enough to write with others.

What I did not checked out until now is a secure chat...

You´ll see it´s benefits if you use it - and the situation with your friends will change, if you´re doing the fist step and tell all of them to have a look, too.

Last edited by Micha1982; 2015-06-15 at 20:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Micha1982 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Archangel, Russia
Sorry for offtopic, but one question - does it possible to build and install on N900 purple-vk-plugin? Will it work with Conversations? Or I need to add something in plugin code?
Added: oh fcuk, Conversations based on Telepathy, it's time to google how to port PC telepathy plugins to N900

Last edited by kostett; 2015-08-12 at 13:53.

I tried this plugin a while ago and it didn't seem to work at all. Uninstalled and used the webapp (Easy Debian) but having a native solution is always preferred and I tried again and now it just seem to work
One problem though - receiving messages results in a crash.
Started pidgin from terminal
error message:

tgl/structures.c:2035: tglm_message_insert_tree:
Assertion 'M->id' failed.
Aborted

Any ideas how to solve this?

It seems to be a known issue at least for the cli version.
https://github.com/vysheng/tg/issues/740
Based on that I think an update to the latest version is needed to solve this problem.

[edit] someone suggested to run the cli app as root. I also tried to run pidgin as root, but receiving messages still resulted in a crash.

Last edited by t-b; 2016-01-10 at 12:40. Reason: see edit comment

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Krakow, POLAND
This might be the protocol related issue as telegram-purple in my Finch IM stopped working as well - client crashes with almost identical error.
I'm not using N900 anymore but I still have it so I can try to build the latest version some time later.

Don't expect much as building the previous versions has been a tedious work due to many GLib >= 2.28 only functions calls (unsupported in Maemo).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to totalizator For This Useful Post:
Thanks that would be great! Even with the crashes I am still using pidgin with the plugin.

Sulu mentioned in the easy debian thread he had created an updated patched and compiled glib to work with the maemo kernel.
https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1490871
The actual link to glib is not working anymore, but I am sure someone can provide it if it would help you to port this. If you think it would help please let me know and I will make some requests in the appropriate threads.

Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Sulu mentioned in the easy debian thread he had created an updated patched and compiled glib to work with the maemo kernel.
https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1490871
This post from sulu is about the GNU libc, not the (gnome project) glib.
Newer libglib versions (>=2.28) aren't incompatible with the maemo kernel, but they're not ABI-compatible with the one used in maemo ... and maemo is full of (core features) closed-source applications depending on glib.
Unfortunately, a lot of projects depend on recent glib stuff, as totalizator mentioned.

The Following User Says Thank You to bencoh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bencoh View Post
This post from sulu is about the GNU libc, not the (gnome project) glib.
Ah too bad.. thanks for correcting me and explaining.

No news?
Still anyone working on it?

Pidgin tells me all the time "new version available" - same for Pidgin, will the N900 get an update at all?

How big is the chance that videocalls for example will ever work?

Tags
pidgin, telegram