Posts: 61 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Erlangen
A foldable tablet with two screens. Think of two Ipads that open like a book - or a laptop with big virtual keyboard. I'd totally buy that - even if it came from apple.

The Following User Says Thank You to greygoo For This Useful Post:
Nokia should be ready with a tablet when screen technology is advanced enough. Which means color e-ink with lcd-like refresh rates. Nobody wants to read magazines and newspapers on a lcd display. Before that I want to see a maemo netbook.. hell why not a maemo notebook?

Cheers

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by phortize View Post
tablets are for new-prehistoric post-modern unproductive consumerist and passive people and know one thing: they will disappear soon, they are an accident in history, things are a changing...
i can see in a few years the shape and size of notepads and booklet like the courier prototype from microsoft take place of them. they are foldable, they could possibly be pocketable but large enough to watch and read, good to write on, and can be used as an old laptop or just flatted down to take notes on them without the frustrating presence of the screen as a wall between the user and the rest of the world.
smartphones let the geeks out but are not really good to work, the best compromise as of now is still the n900 for me, though nokia MUST do more for it.
the tablet is just the primitive phase of the new standard, which surely wont be a tablet.
That's funny. On the one hand, you dismiss tablets as passe and a quaint relic of the past, meanwhile the N900 is an attempt at turning a tablet into a phone.. but smarter than a phone.. a sort of.. smart phone. yes. A smartphone! That's it! That's a NEW thing, right?

Originally Posted by greygoo View Post
A foldable tablet with two screens. Think of two Ipads that open like a book - or a laptop with big virtual keyboard. I'd totally buy that - even if it came from apple.
You mean something like... THIS?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by crenquis View Post
I imagine that it will be a n900-type device that has a dock that allows it to be used as a media hub and a desktop-type computer. Perhaps via pico-projector built into the dock?
etc, etc
i dont see it that way. i imagine a device which billions of students of all ages would buy to use it during classes and homework as school book and notepad at the same time, not speaking about writing professionals and creatives and casual readers. and that could be used just as a normal laptop too if necessary just rotating it and folding it a little. all folded could be a camera, a gps and maybe some mini version a phone too.. have you seen the courier prototype video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USbkrk8-pjw
though is not very similar to what i imagine.

no maybe i was not clear, i know n900 is a smartphone and its not new at all as concept: its just the best smartphone on the market, so good that you can almost work with it, but without a screen separating you from the rest of the world. and no, n900 its not a tablet more than my grandmother is, it has a real keyboard which slides in and out (the n900 not my grandmother!)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
i'm not sure if i should use the word "tablet" as it means so many different things to different people... i just know that i want a device very much like the N900, only with a slighty larger screen. the form factor of the N810 would be cool. screen size between 4" and 5", not bigger.

that's one thing.

the 10" device - i don't know. it will have "i could as well use my notebook and enjoy a real keyboard" written all over it.
OTOH, i remember a thread about computing for the elderly... I said back then that I can see a market for 17" touch devices running a Maemo-like UI, only blown up in size. I still think this market exists, it's just probably not profitable yet. (Although I would love being able to let my father try one of those super-size-tablets)

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
i'm not sure if i should use the word "tablet" as it means so many different things to different people... i just know that i want a device very much like the N900, only with a slighty larger screen. the form factor of the N810 would be cool. screen size between 4" and 5", not bigger.
id like that too; but im imagining something different here. imagine an ipad foldable in two: with a big screen foldable on itself on one side (with one part usable also as no-more-so-virtual keyboard) and on the other side a little screen and a camera. all flat would be a tablet/book/notepad, half folded a laptop, completely folded a phone/camera/gps.

Originally Posted by phortize View Post
id like that too; but im imagining something different here. imagine an ipad foldable in two: with a big screen foldable on itself on one side (with one part usable also as no-more-so-virtual keyboard) and on the other side a little screen and a camera. all flat would be a tablet/book/notepad, half folded a laptop, completely folded a phone/camera/gps.
The other advantage of that form factor... SCREEN PROTECTION. When you fold it, the screens are protected from scratches and damage. I'm with you on that. I would LOVE something like that XO-2 I pictured above.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post

that's one thing.

the 10" device - i don't know. it will have "i could as well use my notebook and enjoy a real keyboard" written all over it.
OTOH, i remember a thread about computing for the elderly... I said back then that I can see a market for 17" touch devices running a Maemo-like UI, only blown up in size. I still think this market exists, it's just probably not profitable yet. (Although I would love being able to let my father try one of those super-size-tablets)
I think the market for a tablet which serves as a reading device ist huge. Pdfs, magazines, books, newspapers could be replaced if
adequate screen technology is available. May even render printers useless. Screen size should be at least the size of A4 paper. For reading you don't necessarily need a real keyboard.

Cheers