Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@penguinbait: can we just repurpose a popular existing device and just 'purchase/negotiate/beg for' the drivers instead?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Heck, if they would just build a faster, RAM-richer N810, I'd be satisfied if they just stuck Diablo on it again!
Just keep out the (stupidly) "top secret" propietary stuff and let me install mandriva/mageia/ubuntu/whatever on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Again, can't we people be arguing that Nokia should've done both, a tablet and a phone? The N900 is damn fine as a phone if used right (which in my experience involves tweeking kernel settings for virtual memory and I/O, but still); it's just that Nokia should have realized that there is a market in both. That said, succeeding in business management beaurocracy and being actually wise enough to practically apply rudimentary understanding of humans to your products rarely is compatible.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Again, can't we people be arguing that Nokia should've done both, a tablet and a phone? The N900 is damn fine as a phone if used right (which in my experience involves tweeking kernel settings for virtual memory and I/O, but still); it's just that Nokia should have realized that there is a market in both. That said, succeeding in business management beaurocracy and being actually wise enough to practically apply rudimentary understanding of humans to your products rarely is compatible.
Again, no--not really. Concentrating on a me-too iPhone competitor diverted resources away from what was becoming a successful market of its own where Nokia was already ahead and Apple's iPod Touch (and later iPad) was the me-too device.

Besides all that, I thought the N900 wasn't a phone? At least, that seemed to be the defense for EVERY criticism put against it about all the lack of features and problems it has with being a reliable phone. The mantra been repeatedly, "It's a computer first, with phone functions." As a phone, it's pretty bad by most accounts I've read and from the known problems--your anecdotal experience aside.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Ask Microsoft instead if they will allow Nokia too release a tablets with linux.

I dont think soo... Nokia is now working for Microsoft and they decide whats allowed. Just look at the PC market Microshit always control this.

So I guess in the future we have to bye a tablet with some Microsoft crap OS and the tweek it to make it work with some Linux dist like Meego.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Again, no--not really. Concentrating on a me-too iPhone competitor diverted resources away from what was becoming a successful market of its own where Nokia was already ahead and Apple's iPod Touch (and later iPad) was the me-too device.
Nokia saw the n900 as a me-too iPhone competitor? Not even close for so many reasons. Here's just one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YY3MSaUqMg

And the iPod touch was a 770/n800 me-too device? Again, not even close. Apple didn't even have to look past their nose for the iPod and iPad touch ideas. They got it for free:

iPod touch = iPhone - GSM - GPS - camera

iPad = iPod touch + size

As a phone, it's pretty bad by most accounts I've read and from the known problems--your anecdotal experience aside.
Please, take off your hate colored glasses. Clinging to stale, knee-jerk, year-old comments is just conjecture.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
I always try to stay quiet with these kind of threads but I can't help it with this point.

1. I was not owned by Nokia. I am very thankful that they released such a wonderful device and I had the opportunity to use it. However I resent them for abandoning this platform. i honestly don't think there is an upgrade worth considering after the N900..I just wish it had more RAM..

2. If you don't own and use the N900 as a daily device you shouldn't speak. People will only post problems. No one will post: "Hey my N900 hasn't dropped a call in over a week!". My N900 serves me perfectly as a phone. Never had a problem with it. And I don't use features like speed dialling and whatever else is missing from normal phones. I actually don't know the features because I don't bother using them..

3. As a browser? Nothing and I repeat nothing comes close to MicroB. It is fairly fast, can handle almost any website I tried, can handle a lot of content and it hasn't been updated in at least 1.5 years. It is beyond me why Mozilla are developing Fennec and not using MicroB.

4. I like that the N900 is also a phone. I don't like having many devices. I wouldn't buy an internet tablet just like I am not considering a notebook or netbook. The N900 can do almost anything a laptop and netbook (in a smaller scale) can do, and when I need to do more powerful stuff I can use my desktop. It is very portable and for me at least replaces: mobile, notebook, mp3 player, camera, video player, GPS navigator etc. However Nokia should have continued with tablets too and release phones and tablets.

5. I hope Nokia release all the source code for Maemo and someone with more sense builds a device with updated hardware using Maemo. You say Maemo or the N900 is outdated? How can you say that when there are features missing from competitors today? Hostmode? FCam? Packet Injection? Compatible with most video formats. Browsing? And don't bother mentioning flash. that's Nokia's fault not Maemo's shortcoming. Just to name a few. When the N900 is outclassed in everything..then you can call it outdated. If you can that is...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
... diverted resources away from what was becoming a successful market of its own where Nokia was already ahead and Apple's iPod Touch (and later iPad) was the me-too device.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Apple, like it or not, single-handedly created the demand for these so-called tablet devices. MS had been saying every year for the past 10 years or so that "this year is the year where tablet/slate computers take off". So what if Nokia had been peddling NITs for years, there just wasn't any demand for them from the general populace. Even if Nokia had been successful early on with the NITs it still could have gone the way of its smartphone business if they don't wise up to the competition.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Nokia saw the n900 as a me-too iPhone competitor?
I didn't say Nokia said as much. They didn't have to. They took a tablet and tried to pawn it off as a phone. "TA DA! It's a computer AND a phone too!" Isn't that what a smartphone is? Isn't that where Apple clearly was ahead when the N900 was being developed and released? Isn't that where everyone else seems to be doing far better, or are you claiming this is neither a tablet nor a smartphone? :P What is it, pray tell?

Not even close for so many reasons. Here's just one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YY3MSaUqMg

And the iPod touch was a 770/n800 me-too device? Again, not even close. Apple didn't even have to look past their nose for the iPod and iPad touch ideas. They got it for free:

iPod touch = iPhone - GSM - GPS - camera

iPad = iPod touch + size
Correct... a me too TABLET device--pretty much where Nokia HAD been before that.

Please, take off your hate colored glasses. Clinging to stale, knee-jerk, year-old comments is just conjecture.
Please, take off your peril sensitive sunglasses and take a look at the numerous complaint threads, old AND new, posted on this very forum. Numerous, I say. Speaking of knee-jerk reactions. Did they ever get around to fixing those USB ports for customers? At least on newer issues of the N900? How well are they taking care of customers? Well?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

I didn't say Nokia said as much. They didn't have to. They took a tablet and tried to pawn it off as a phone. "TA DA! It's a computer AND a phone too!" Isn't that what a smartphone is? Isn't that where Apple clearly was ahead when the N900 was being developed and released? Isn't that where everyone else seems to be doing far better, or are you claiming this is neither a tablet nor a smartphone? :P What is it, pray tell?
If the n900 and the iPhone were to both be labeled "smartphones," they would be at opposite ends of the spectrum. No confusing the two, unlike Samsung Galaxy products. SNAP!

Did they ever get around to fixing those USB ports for customers? At least on newer issues of the N900? How well are they taking care of customers? Well?
What are you going on about? The side topic was how good is the n900 when used as a phone. Stay focused.