Notices

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
Originally Posted by Arto View Post
I just posted a simple python daemon (and little gui) to extras-devel named eSpeakCaller. It just basicly runs eSpeak when somebody calls.

Debian installer should also make necessary changes to xpolicy.conf. (add [stream] exe = espeak group = ringtone)

At least works for me
it says the phone number in thousands, am i missing something?

I just posted a simple python daemon (and little gui) to extras-devel named eSpeakCaller. It just basicly runs eSpeak when somebody calls.

Debian installer should also make necessary changes to xpolicy.conf. (add [stream] exe = espeak group = ringtone)

At least works for me
Arto,

Thanks for doing this! I have installed the app successfully (the changes were made to xpolicy.conf), but have not hear any recitals when the phone rings. Is there some other setting (like Settings/Profiles) that I need to change?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Originally Posted by rabilancia View Post
Arto,

Thanks for doing this! I have installed the app successfully (the changes were made to xpolicy.conf), but have not hear any recitals when the phone rings. Is there some other setting (like Settings/Profiles) that I need to change?

Thanks in advance,
Rich
A reboot might help. Then open the application and press (re)start Daemon button. You can verify it is running with 'ps -e | grep speak' command in xterm. It worked for me, although the ringtone was loud enough to almost drown the caller's name. Good job Arto.

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain

At least works for me
Thank you very much.

It works well.

I speak Spanish and the gui will not let me type accented characters (áéíóú).

Can you modify the sourcecode to allow this?

Last edited by WhiteWolf; 2010-03-24 at 11:50.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
You can find project source code from garage page:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/espeakcaller/

Im going to need little help with this one since this is my first python project.

Post source code suggestions here or send email to arto.rusanen(at)kolumbus.fi

Arto

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
This rocks. And it works fine here, but I would like to see two more things. First, name would be great instead of number, I think that would be obvious. Second, a loop setting would be great.

Symbian devices repeat the name every 10 seconds or so (maybe less) so you have a chance to hear it. Timing options would be great, like a pre-speak delay, then a repeat every setting. Say wait 3 seconds, then repet every 10.

I am not a coder here, I wish I could help.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

A couple of things need to happen before this is really useful:

- The saying of the name only, if not known number, don't say anything.
- If the phone call gets answered, it will cancel saying the name anymore.

But this is a good start.

Im going to need little help with this one since this is my first python project.

Post source code suggestions here or send email to
I can give a hand in figuring out specific problems, however why don't you put the files to the SVN repo garage set up for you, makes life easier for everyone.

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
I am also using it and I prefer the standard behaviour of saying the number when it does not find the name.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
i love this application. thank you so much! i'm aware it's in an early stage, but it's still very cool.

one problem: if the string contains german umlauts (like in "%name% ruft für dich an"), there's no audio output. espeak can synthesize the same string without problems on the command line, so i guess there's a problem with the application.

i also have a wish list.

a loop setting would be fantastic. sometimes you only hear a call after a few moments, so it would be nice to hear the text in a loop as long as the phone rings. (or whatever variable settings are feasible)

also, having UI elements for pitch, speed and volume would be welcome. yes, this can be controlled with command line parameters, but still...

one last thing would be to have more than one variable for parts of the name. e.g. %first% for first name, %last% for last name, %nick% for nickname, %name% for full name... you could provide a syntax like {%nick% | %name%} for a fallback construct: use the nickname if available, otherwise read the full name. This way, i could have a very personalized experience: "andy is calling" for friends vs. "george miller is calling".for other contacts.

i think that's all

compared to my S60 phone, it's so incredibly cool that i can define my own text. this is really fun. i know i'm gonna love it once it's stable and in extras.

Tags
espeakcaller