Well, as a bright spot, at least Ovi isn't the only source of applications for the N900, unlike certain other phones.

But I'm amazed that, even with all of the delays, that Nokia has managed to shoot themselves in the foot multiple times on this. Then again, working in the software engineering field, I shouldn't be. The people who usually know what the best way of doing things are often not the ones who have the power to do anything about it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Well, as a bright spot, at least Ovi isn't the only source of applications for the N900, unlike certain other phones.
Ovi store isn't the only source of applications for any phone.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Ovi store isn't the only source of applications for any phone.
I suppose that meant iAppstore....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
If you Don't know what the Word beta means dont use the service.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Ovi Store is beta, Ovi Suite doesn't even support N900 on 2.1 beta version, Ovi Maps lacks navigation, etc...

Nokia should have named our phone "N900 BETA"!! ;-)

Not that wouldn't use it anyway, but at least I would have waited a bit for the price gets lower instead of pre-ordering.

Feels like buying a Ferrari and the road to accelerate to its limit is still being pavimented. If at least N900 would attract the same attention from the ladies....

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Um...
The OVI Store page hasn't had the word "beta" on it for awhile dude.

http://store.ovi.com/

Maybe that is why some of us are posting about this now and not then.

Also:
When it did say beta on the OVI site no where did it ever say that the beta Service was providing beta quality software. In fact, the Nokia Select site says that some of the "best" software for the N900 can be found in the OVI store.

The OVI service that Nokia provides now and in the future is not the point... The point is QA.

One would hope that a corporation that profits from its sale would at least have the same standards of QA for the software it promotes for the dang thing that a non-profit users group like maemo.org has.

Right now an independent developer could deduce that it would be easier to get his program promoted in OVI then it would be in maemo.org "extras"... or worse, just pay the fee to be a "Nokia Partner" or some such and skip QA altogether.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-02-06 at 21:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Lisbon, Portugal
What ovi store are you guys talking about ? Since a couple of weeks the ovi store app link on 51.1 sends me to a static page telling me i need to upgrade maemo5 and store.ovi.com tells me my device isn't supported.

Originally Posted by chbm View Post
What ovi store are you guys talking about ? Since a couple of weeks the ovi store app link on 51.1 sends me to a static page telling me i need to upgrade maemo5 and store.ovi.com tells me my device isn't supported.
You need to install the Maemo firmware update first, then you'll get past that splash page

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Um...
The OVI Store page hasn't had the word "beta" on it for awhile dude.

http://store.ovi.com/

Maybe that is why some of us are posting about this now and not then.
go to ovi store via your n900 it clearly says BETA.
its not the software on there whats the problem its the QA process of the maemo beta store

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
You need to install the Maemo firmware update first, then you'll get past that splash page
That wasn't it, hide user agent went back to default (hide) and that was confusing ovi store.