Notices

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
Originally Posted by mikaelh View Post
Go to the tvkaista.fi site and click one of Facebook, Twitter etc. buttons at the top. By connecting your TVkaista ID to one of those services you get 2 weeks for free. Please note mrp's comment earlier that you need to use the ID/password tvkaista emails to you, not the ID of - for example - Facebook.
kiitos paljon !

Anyway, version 7-1 now in extras-devel has the option of selecting better-quality h264 as the download/streaming format. Files take more than 5 times as long to load, but the picture quality is noticeably better.

The smaller format seems to work ok for streaming over 3G.

There is also the option of selecting the original MPEG2-TS format, but that is intended for special purposes only, because the standard Media Player does not play it, mplayer does not support subtitles, picture quality is not visibly better than h264 when viewed on N900, and downloading takes about 2 times as long again.

Short poll! Pick one feature that you would most like to see included:
  • Subtitles with streaming
  • Ability to resume playback at the same spot where you left off, even if you have closed Media Player
  • Ability to resume partial downloads

Resume playback would be great.

Version 8-1 now resumes playback.

Thanks to Python guru Thomas Perl of the gPodder fame for the relevant code.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Vantaa / Helsinki / Finland
my wishlist:

better error handling and reporting
integration of connection manager

and last, maybe a support for flash downloads for even faster downloads - that is, if theres reliable way to play the flash versions.

And i thought theres already a support for season passes but atleast the ones i have tagged in tvkaista do not show in the fetcher.

"better error handling and reporting" - I can understand the need, but do not expect significant improvements, because this is a load of work without actually adding any new features. So, right now I just recommend a stabe network environment when updating and downloading.

"integration of connection manager" - can you please explain this a bit, I do not understand what it means

"support for flash downloads for even faster downloads" - yes, implementing this is a matter of uncommenting one line, but I do not like providing useless options, so I am waiting for flv's to become playable first

"season passes do not show in the fetcher" - yes, season passes were where this whole application started, so they definitely should work.

Debugging checklist:
- do you get any programs listed on the main screen?
- when you update from the server, are there any errors?
- after update, are the shows shown on the left side of the "Haut" page?
- can you check that the specific show you expect to see is listed normally on the TVKaista web service (on PC)?
- can you try changing the format to original ("Alkuperäinen"j, and see if that helps? TVKaista has problems with conversions at times, and I have added code to survive most of them, but...

Got fed up with the many weekly reruns (uusinta) of some of the shows I am following, and implemented an option in version 9-1 to hide the reruns. As the feed from TVKaista contains no show IDs that could be used to identify reruns, application uses the following heuristic:

Show is a rerun if the name is the same and the show description is 95% same as the description of a previous show. Unless the shows are within 4 hours of each other, in which case it is most likely not a rerun but a longer movie that has for some reason been split into parts by TVKaista.

This option is by default not enabled.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikaelh View Post
Short poll! Pick one feature that you would most like to see included:
  • Subtitles with streaming
  • Ability to resume playback at the same spot where you left off, even if you have closed Media Player
  • Ability to resume partial downloads
I missed that poll. Is it difficult to download subtitles file before streaming starts to get streaming with subtitles work?

The problem is that I do not know how to make the player understand a situation where the video and subtitle files are not in the same local directory, with identical names. Will dig a bit deeper - any help appreciated.

In other news, the rerun filter is a bit broken, so recommend leaving it off until further notice.