Active Topics

How to make the VBUS boost stay on for long enough?? and...um....stupid question, but would the mice and keyboards be mounted to sda or sda1? and what would be the code to mount them??

Glad to hear You managed to solve problem As for posting log files, of course it's always appreciated. Don't worry, we don't bite Asking for posting is correct thread was just because HEN is *extremely* popular, and keeping order in threads (= being able to help everyone, without missing important posts) require some strict approach

I was just to say that it should be /dev/sda1 (for convenience, I would also name media/sda1, but that's cosmetic thing), but I suppose You've figured it out Yourself.

As for timeout problem, that's weird. What device You connected? It's just pendrive, or external HDD by any chance? Can You please include log from AFTER vbus suspended on it's own? ( again - remember, dmesg doesn't update on itself, so what is show is state actual only up to moment You clicked/executed it).

As for love, I would suggest loving girls and guys responsible for creating this wonderful effort, which HEN is - I'm only giving some advices, trying to contribute as much as I can If You ever feel really overhelmed by gratitude towards HEN, please consider donating. Of course, it's 100% optional and I think everyone understands if You can't donate for some particular reasons - I suggest it because people creating this spend quite high amount of money on hardware, countless (*really* countless) time on writing/debugging, and risked their devices many, many times. Then, releases everything in true Open Source spirit. They're still working on it and testing new purposes (for which, many time buying some kind of hardware is essential), so every amount donated really helps a lot.

// Edit

As for mouse and keyboard, You don't mount them. You're mounting only storage devices - pendrives, HDD's, and whatsnot contain any files, that You want to access as filesystem. Keep in mind that maemo (every system, in fact) automatically mount Your partitions, SD cards etc.

Every other device require only enumerating - of course assuming that there is proper kernel module for it, and/or driver installed.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-07-16 at 14:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Lol, went through your above post...Hmm. the problem is actually that I am unable to mount my pendrive through h-e-n, but only through terminal....and my mice and all are not getting enumerated So i was wondering there was some way to attach mice and keyboard through the terminal......you know what i mean right? I mean like the way i mounted the pen drive through the terminal???

Are You sure that your mouse and keyboard aren't enumerated? Just connecting them properly, doesn't mean they will work out of the box. You probably need extkbd and extmou packages for that (and to configure them from settings).

To be sure - please post kernel messages log from *after* trying to enumerate mouse/keyboard.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Hmm....I will post the kernel messages right away...
The error message shown after trying to mount the mouse says "Unable to connect, no file system available"
I have attached the Kernel messages below.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hostmode.txt (15.3 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by Pranjal; 2011-07-16 at 15:00. Reason: Attached the hostmode kernel messages text file.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
You probably need extkbd and extmou packages for that (and to configure them from settings).
I downloaded the extkbd and extmou packages for my N900. They seem to be installed, because I can see the Keyboard option under Personalisation in Settings, but I just cannot seem to find the extmou package installed under applications, or in settings menu as well. However, I do see it when I go to the uninstall application menu. It is installed as "Mouse Support". Is it supposed to stay hidden? And if it is supposed to stay hidden, my guess is that it always stays active in the background, draining the battery?? Battery is not the major concern I am concerned about right now, but my concern is that even after downloading the packages, I have had no luck connecting my keyboard and mouse to my N900.... Also, how can I configure these packages, as you mentioned in your above post, from Settings? from settings, do you mean the phone settings or HEN settings?

Last edited by Pranjal; 2011-07-17 at 03:39. Reason: Typo

From first to last post:

Hmm....I will post the kernel messages right away...
The error message shown after trying to mount the mouse says "Unable to connect, no file system available"
I have attached the Kernel messages below.
That's all right - cause mouse don't have filesystem inside

As for Your log, it isn't properly enumerated - probably cause You choose wrong vBus speed (experiment with it), OR You're trying to do it too fast/connect mouse in wrong moment.

Correct order should be:

1. Click "<correct speed> hostmode", wait ~2 seconds.

2. Click "VBUS boost on", then connect Your device (don't try to do it too fast, but also don't be sluggish). After connecting device wait 2-3 seconds.

3. click "enumerate".

4. Check kernel-messages if Your device was connected properly.

As for extmou, it should remain hidden, and it does not drain You battery when it's not in use. When it is in use, it uses some RAM as every AP, but you won't encounter any shorter battery in real life.

As for extkbd, I mean configuring in from settings - where You noticed keyboard icon. Ho ever, You need keyboard correctly connected first.

// Edit

If You manage to connect keyboard, but - by any chance - you got problem configuring it, be sure to first read extkbd thread (it's not as long as HEN one), then, eventually, ask in extkbd thread - not here. Still, it will be nice to know here if You managed to get it working
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

DONE WITH THE MOUSE!! HOORAY! Gotta try now with the keyboard. Thanks for the help estel!! Seems that my mouse was sposed to work on a usb 1.1 Low speed and I was connecting it on a high speed mode.....Thanks a lot again man!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Pranjal For This Useful Post:
No problem mate, glad it's working. Also remember to connect keyboard in low speed - such a devices aren't USB 2.0 - specific, and most of the times running it @ full-speed (1.1) doesn't give any advantage, except for more battery drain due to higher bandwitch rate. Unless You got keyboard with embedded USB 2.0 HUB inside - in fact, it's HUB that is connecting to host, with keyboard attached internally to HUB as "guest" (I own such a keyboard, except that it's got bundled 1.1 HUB).

Also, keep in mind, that most USB 2.0 devices will also work with 1.1, ho ever slower.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Is there a way to connect mouse and keyboard together to my N900 without the help of a usb hub? I mean....there are two headed usb cables available in the market as well.......with all the three pins as male usb...if i use a fermale to female adapter to connect this kind of a cable with he default provided cable and then attach this kind of a cable to my nokia microusb to usb cable? And then again, use two female to female adapters to connect my mouse and keyboard to my phone? Ummmm....lol it's confusing to write this lol... :P
Oh wait....lemme draw a sketch on my N900 and attach it here :P My N900 would come very handy here....

Tags
awesome!, bada rox, h-e-n hostmode, more noise