Notices

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
How can I download the whole City of New York and New Jersey in to maemo mapper withouth having to click and click and click?!?

Thank You,

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Take a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long drive, with auto download enabled. ;-)

Seriously, though, there's gotta be at least some clicking involved. You need to specify the NW and SE corners (latitude and longitude), plus the desired zoom levels if you want to grab everything in a single pass.

I'd suggest manually zooming around a little to decide which levels suit your purpose. Then fill in the blanks and let it work while you sleep. Not too painful.

I dont have a cell phone with data to do that so my last resource would be to get the cordinates and download it from home.

Top-Left: Latitude 41.4, Longitude -75.6
Bottom-Right: Latitude 38.9, Longitude -73.7

That gives you the five boroughs plus all of the Garden State.
Extend the boundaries if you want more of the neighboring states.

Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE View Post
How can I download the whole City of New York and New Jersey in to maemo mapper withouth having to click and click and click?!?

Thank You,
I use Google Earth or Google Maps to find lat/lon coordinates, then I plug them into the "Manage Maps" functionality to "Download by Area". You can queue up several downloads by using that "Manage Maps" tool multiple times, and then let it run throughout the night.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
You can try winmapper:
http://www.avraam.org/winmapper.htm

-ioan

Originally Posted by ioan View Post
You can try winmapper:
http://www.avraam.org/winmapper.htm

-ioan
Hi Ioan,

Good hearing from you. I did try winmapper. It doesn't work with Google street maps any more, only topo. I used the exact same URL that works in the built-in Maemo Mapper downloader. Here are gnuite's comments:

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
You're right that there is at least one thing different about how Maemo Mapper and winmapper download maps. Maemo Mapper uses a specific HTTP_USER_ AGENT string that makes it look like Firefox - winmapper probably doesn't, because Maemo Mapper added that user agent feature after winmapper was written. Maybe this user agent is what allows Maemo Mapper to download the maps successfully?

If so, winmapper would have to be modified to use a similar user agent string.

I don't know much about winmapper, however, except that the author mentioned having taken the downloading code directly from (a now-older version of) Maemo Mapper, and since that code hasn't really changed (except for the user agent string), it should (in theory) work the same as Maemo Mapper.
If you would be kind enough to retest and possibly update winmapper to restore its usefulness, I won't be the only grateful party. Thanks!

Originally Posted by jpj View Post
Top-Left: Latitude 41.4, Longitude -75.6
Bottom-Right: Latitude 38.9, Longitude -73.7

That gives you the five boroughs plus all of the Garden State.
Extend the boundaries if you want more of the neighboring states.
I did that but is asking me if I want to download 7GIGs?!?

I did that but is asking me if I want to download 7GIGs?!?

First, the estimate is exactly that - an estimate - and is often higher than the actual download size. Still, I'm guessing that you've asked for every possible zoom level. Try omitting Levels 0 and 1, and I guarantee the total payload will then be well under 1GB. (I would confirm this myself, using the same coords, but my N800 is away for repairs.)

I personally find Level 2 appropriate for most urban navigation, and might even drop back to Level 3 or 4 on highway trips. You can of course fill in the higher detail for selected areas where you want it, instead of paying the storage penalty for the whole state.

Also, forgive me if you already know this, but if you plan to store a lot of data for Maemo Mapper, be sure to reformat your SD card with the smallest possible cluster size (512 bytes for 2GB and smaller cards, 1024 bytes for 4GB cards, 2048 bytes for 8GB cards.) Otherwise you can easily waste 90% or more of the available space.

The Following User Says Thank You to jpj For This Useful Post:
The site is down: http://www.avraam.org/winmapper.htm

please send me an email
I need this utility
norther@gmx.net