Apt-get update before sleeping ...every time a bad idea sorry

Given how far its getting and where its failing, its likely to be something preventing hildon-home or hildon-desktop from starting properly. I dont know how to find out which package (probably one of the recent clones from Freemangordon)

You should never run apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade on a N900 EVER. It can and will cause problems (as you have found)

i know i was half the way asleep i ran apt-get install

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ .pl
maybe cssu-devel should require a password? make it known one but specific enough, for example:
yes-i-know-what-im-doing-an-will-never-indiscriminately-install-packages-from-there

The Following User Says Thank You to KotCzarny For This Useful Post:
FYI, do NOT install maemo-launcher from cssu-devel, when I did it prevented anything relying on it (e.g. hildon-home, hildon-desktop etc) from starting and I had to use RescueOS to restore stock maemo-launcher (there is no version of that package in cssu-testing or cssu-stable, its only in cssu-devel)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
My clone of connui-cellular (specifically connui-statusbar-cellular) now works and is in cssu-devel.(it doesn't crash hildon-status-menu and it displays the correct icons as far as I can tell (I didn't test the "no sim" icon but I imagine it works)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Do not use libplayback-1-0 package from cssu-devel, it makes media player crash.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Freemangordon fixed libplayback and it works now (at least in so far as mediaplayer and notification daemon play audio correctly)

The Following User Says Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Well, while i agree with the "devel" concept and related warnings....

When you discover that a package is bugged at the point that can break ANY device that installs it, you have two possibilities: fix or DELETE IT.

Leave it there to kill some other development device seems to be a complete non-sense.

http://maemo.merlin1991.at/cssu/comm...aemo-launcher/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
You should never run apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade on a N900 EVER.
I don't agree with this. upgrade and dist-upgrade are part of the functionality of APT. As xes pointed out, if there are broken packages/dependencies, they should be fixed. If fixing them is considered to be out of scope for CSSU, please remove upgrade and dist-upgrade functionality from the CSSU maintained fork of APT.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:

Tags
easter egg, lockslider