Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
If "freedom" is so important to you, than go and make your own phone for Christ sake. We are talking about consumer devices here, and no one is forcing you to use them.

You are acting like there is a human right to use a mobile phone - and - a human right to have access to a "open" ecosystem. Guess what, it will never happen. The very least you can do is to get a dumb phone and a tablet and stop whining.
Aaaand again, I couldn't resist... I need to stop reading backwards through this thread, though:
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
As long as you're going through BC, take a look at #31.

Preordered blue N9 16GB yesterday.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Where and hos much?

Originally Posted by lma View Post
As long as you're going through BC, take a look at #31.
...Or, you could have posted it, like I did. I'm TOTALLY guilty of this.

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
ho ho ho dan - comics capture it well

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
ho ho ho dan - comics capture it well
Hey--the thread started out with them, might as well. Besides, a picture is worth.. what.. ?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
If "freedom" is so important to you, than go and make your own phone for Christ sake. We are talking about consumer devices here, and no one is forcing you to use them.

You are acting like there is a human right to use a mobile phone - and - a human right to have access to a "open" ecosystem. Guess what, it will never happen. The very least you can do is to get a dumb phone and a tablet and stop whining.
WTF kind of post is this, we just told you the n9 is satisfying these requirements for now, so we will buy it. It is my right to buy it, I don't have a clue what your point is supposed to be.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
lol @ all this freedom talk. No one seems to feel free to update these ancient n8x0 apps. Or perhaps release new apps for them. Seems y'all have a lot more in common with these big bad corps than you know.
when I get an updated Tear and webkit I'll be sympathetic.
Sorry, but you fail at reading comprehension -- we are all free to write apps for the n8x0 and other maemo devices, but it is not your right to demand anything. I'll be sympathetic when you let me know what contributions you've made yourself.

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
shallimus rant = abill-uk epic fail
in case you did not notice - the consumers HAVE SPOKEN
they LIKE the iphone - they WANT fart apps - they DONT give a **** about FOSS ! They are OK with a walled garden !
most dont even know what FOSS is ! and they DONT CARE
so yea the consumers are all powerful - and they have voted with their wallet just kicked your FOSS ***
anything else ?
You're right that most consumers don't care and therefore don't have anything to say about these things. The purpose of many posts in this thread is to be to educate such people, but it's hard to do with others like yourself that seem unable to grasp the concepts, and continue arguing without any purpose. If you want to help Apple or Google or Microsoft dominate the market, fine, that's your choice, and there are plenty of short-term benefits of doing so. I have no problem with that as long as you can find a better hobby than bad-mouthing open source and those who believe in it! Think about the mobile phone market, it's a fractured mess already with so many different operating systems all with their own incompatible architectures. Nobody wins in this situation; your apps are useless if you change platforms, you will have a headache transferring data from one type of device to another, and in the fight to make their platforms more attractive to consumers, the corporations in charge of these operating systems are constantly looking for new exclusive features and services they can add. Open source is great because of its potential for the future, compared to the road we are travelling down with the big corporations in charge. You can laugh all you want, but think about how attractive a royalty-free fully customizable operating system is to phone hardware manufacturers (other than apple). Android is not free btw, Microsoft actually collects $5-12.50 in patent fees from any manufacturer that doesn't also make Windows phones, I bet they love that. So the closed platforms are already a pain, getting worse, and of course if apple or Google actually wins in 10 years we all lose when they get to play "how much can you pay" for all those features we took for granted when they were free. But hey, if you want an iPhone or android phone instead, because it's better in your opinion, go ahead. Just stop trying to convince the rest of us to follow you. We aren't all sheep.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think you're setting yourself up for a big disappointment with those over optimistic assumptions...
If s40 devices continue to sell and developers use Qt to write apps for those millions of devices, they can click a button and compile a version for maemo6 too. It's not exactly a huge leap of faith that this might happen. You aren't backing up your own opinion with any facts, I assume you are just bitter at Nokia or have an amazing insight such as "history repeats itself". If being optimistic requires me to be “set up for disappointment”, I still think I will still be optimistic. You don’t have to go running home every time there is a cloud in the sky, sometimes a few minutes extra in the sun is worth the risk of getting wet.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
I was really hoping for a hardware keyboard on the n9. The only feature that's making me keep hold of my n900. I know the n950 is coming out too but is seems like besides the screen size and screen resolution, the CPU speed, and the camera, its inferior to the n900. That's my opinion anyway. I don't think the n9 has support for flash in it's web browser as well.

p.s. Will Meego come with a built in terminal?

Originally Posted by qasman View Post
p.s. Will Meego come with a built in terminal?
Are you talking about N9 (no, you need to enable developer mode in the settings to get terminal), N950 (yes, developer mode is enabled by default), or MeeGo (non Harmattan)? (I do not know the answer for the last option :-)

Hartti

Tags
nokia_n9, repeatedhistory