Active Topics

I really don't get the comment cbbtri but the comic strip was funny and weird in a way.

To answer the question; no N9 for me.
N950 -- is a maybe, because it is a beta/development device.
If these were released last year the answer would've been "FU CK YEA"

Major gripes:
-no qwerty/gamepad (hehe)
-I dislike side-edge-to-screen swiping because it means no protective case
-Also means its accident prone for doodling apps/swiping apps (like fruit ninja or Swype)
-I prefer the UX from WebOS or MIUI
-There is less development from community as opposed to WebOS/Android (afaik)
-Nokia has promised for abandonement

... so Android is most likely to suceed Maemo5 for me, but I will keep an open mind.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I plan on trying to apply for an N950 through the availale channels, personally. I'd rather get my hands on the beta-level -devel device, than get the touch-screen-only shiny. I pointed out why I feel I need a hardware keyboard including phone previously, in the N9 Finally Announced (or something like that) thread...

If I HAD to upgrade, I would seriously consider the N9, BUT as things stand now, I'm happy with my N900, and if I don't get an N950, an N9 wouldn't be worth it for me - regardless of whether or not it's 2 years old and outclassed by most competitors hardware-wise.

no keyboard,
screen still to small,
no portable memory (microSD)

DOA

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
i do not see your point
<snip>
Half your post is about mobile providers, which I don't mention at all. Then the other half is how companies have the right to chain their customers in order to make money, which is fine because there is a sucker born every minute, so if they want to be chained for the sake of convenience, go ahead!

What I lament is that, different from the PC market, there is no relatively free option for consumers that don't want to trade freedom for convenience.

Consider this: even desktop Windows 7 gives more freedom to its users than Windows Phone 7.

Both Symbian and Maemo/MeeGo let you fully control your data and personal information, as well as being efficient and relatively frugal regarding your data connection. Maemo/MeeGo were even open source and you could tinker down the source code well. Now both are on the death row.

In other words, Nokia had two platforms, and both let you control your information and data, and even one was mostly open source.

They went from that to a platform that funnels everything through controlled channels. How sad.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Last edited by mrojas; 2011-06-23 at 06:11.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I really don't get the comment cbbtri but the comic strip was funny and weird in a way.

To answer the question; no N9 for me.
N950 -- is a maybe, because it is a beta/development device.
If these were released last year the answer would've been "FU CK YEA"

Major gripes:
-no qwerty/gamepad (hehe)
-I dislike side-edge-to-screen swiping because it means no protective case
-Also means its accident prone for doodling apps/swiping apps (like fruit ninja or Swype)
-I prefer the UX from WebOS or MIUI
-There is less development from community as opposed to WebOS/Android (afaik)
-Nokia has promised for abandonement

... so Android is most likely to suceed Maemo5 for me, but I will keep an open mind.
They have not promised abandon. They have said "future disuptions!" And remeber this is comming from one person and it can change. No one, including myself, knows what that really could mean its just pure speculation!

I will for sure buy this step 5 device.

And less development depends on what you mean. Qt is used on desktop too and I am sure when people start to learn QtQuick they realise how simple it is too write apps on this mobile platform too.

Btw. Readed somewhere that python will be allowed in Ovi too thats awesome cause many dev prefer Python over C/C++ means even more apps.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-06-23 at 06:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I don't want it or need it. Don't bring anything new to the table. No pre order for me. I might buy one after a year or two or second hand.

No killer features at all.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
They have not promised abandon. They have said "future disuptions!" And remeber this is comming from one person and it can change. No one, including myself, knows what that really could mean its just pure speculation!

I will for sure buy this step 5 device.

And less development depends on what you mean. Qt is used on desktop too and I am sure when people start to learn QtQuick they realise how simple it is too write apps on this mobile platform too.

Btw. Readed somewhere that python will be allowed in Ovi too thats awesome cause many dev prefer Python over C/C++ means even more apps.
I think you're setting yourself up for a big disappointment with those over optimistic assumptions...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yes. Qt is a great idea. But not gonna give us the amount of apps you seems to believe.

Originally Posted by mohannad View Post
Makes sense I guess. But still, I feel like Nokia has gone out of their way to copy apple on this one, and THAT is one thing I dont like.
-No Camera shutter key
-No microSD card slot
-No (customisable) homescreen(s)
To me thats much less freedom of uses than the N900, which is almost 2 years old now.
I agree. To me this is the closest copy of an iPhone by any manufacture.

Not as much in terms of hardware (or lack of it) or even software but in terms of the fundamental idea of what a phone is and used for by the average user.

Apple has unashamedly put more importance on a sleek UI, usability and design than functionality or features. And although I personally never buy an Apple product the fact remains this has worked extremely well for them.

What Nokia have done with this phone is proved that whatever apple can do, Nokia can actually do better with all the advantages of being open.

Now I just hope they don’t just stop here.

LONG LIVE MEEGO

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cleonkennedy For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia_n9, repeatedhistory