Notices

Posts: 227 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Lyon, France
The N810 has an ESC key: this is the bottom key on the left of the screen (the key that is used for Cancel).

The Following User Says Thank You to vinc17 For This Useful Post:
With an external (bluetooth) keyboard, the Nokia tablet is an awesome emacs machine. Whether you write novels with it, program code on it, check email, plan your schedule, or whatever it is that you use emacs for... A comfortable keyboard seems to me mandatory though...

I also recommend the no X version. Stick to the terminal, use the bitstream vera font, get rid of scrollbars and toolbars, and get some work done.

Ulysses

The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:
Could you shqre you configuration file ?

Posts: 227 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
With an external (bluetooth) keyboard, [...]
if you can carry one.

I also recommend the no X version. Stick to the terminal, use the bitstream vera font, get rid of scrollbars and toolbars, and get some work done.
A hildonized X version would be more practical. Here I use the monospace font (the one provided with diablo, I don't know which one, there aren't others, no mention to bitstream vera fonts), 10pt to have the conventional 80 columns (even a bit more). The scrollbar is useful with the shell and doesn't take much space, so I keep it. Also, I use a black background, and to have fonts that are visible enough, I needed to activate the bold attribute (Tools → Settings → Font → Formatting).

The Following User Says Thank You to vinc17 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vinc17 View Post
if you can carry one.

A hildonized X version would be more practical. Here I use the monospace font (the one provided with diablo, I don't know which one, there aren't others, no mention to bitstream vera fonts), 10pt to have the conventional 80 columns (even a bit more). The scrollbar is useful with the shell and doesn't take much space, so I keep it. Also, I use a black background, and to have fonts that are visible enough, I needed to activate the bold attribute (Tools → Settings → Font → Formatting).
ProFont looks good too.

Thanks to everyone who worked on this. I just installed emacs_22.1-1_armel.deb on my N800 and it needed very little to get it working.

For the record, I needed to install it on an SD card: it simply isn't possible to fit it into the internal memory AFAIK.

# mkdir /media/mmc1/emacs
# apt-get install ncurses-base
# dpkg -v --instdir=/media/mmc1/emacs emacs_22.1-1_armel.deb
# chown -r user /media/mmc1/emacs
# chgrp -r users /media/mmc1/emacs

Run with /media/mmc1/emacs/usr/bin/emacs

Mods needed (the absence of the first directory mentioned, arm-linux-gnueabi, is puzzling: without it you get an immediate error message from Emacs)

# mkdir -p /media/mmc1/emacs/usr/libexec/emacs/22.1/arm-linux-gnueabi
# mkdir -p /usr/libexec/emacs/
# ln -s /media/mmc1/emacs/usr/libexec/emacs/22.1/ /usr/libexec/emacs/
# ln -s /media/mmc1/emacs/usr/share/emacs/ /usr/share/

plus adding (setq dired-use-ls-dired nil) to your .emacs as recommended in this forum.

I still need to try and install the X version when I have time.

I'm now editing LaTeX and XML documents with psgml-mode with full Unicode support, writing my XSLT files with xsltide-mode, and executing the processes with Saxon. I've had a few gasps from colleagues too :-)

Laptop? We don' need no steeking laptop...

///Peter

Last edited by frisket; 2009-06-24 at 22:50. Reason: missed an important line

Originally Posted by frisket View Post
For the record, I needed to install it on an SD card: it simply isn't possible to fit it into the internal memory AFAIK.
I had no trouble installed the whole thing in internal memory, but perhaps at the time I didn't have as much on my n800 as you do. I did move the share/emacs directory to an SD card, though, in case I need the room in the future.

I never needed the mods that you mentioned; perhaps the different installation directory caused problems.

I still need to try and install the X version when I have time.
Even though I have a bluetooth keyboard, I don't want to need it. I would think the X version on an n800 wouldn't be any good without the bluetooth keyboard. I don't see the advantage of it on the n800 anyhow, but I may well just be missing something.

I recently reflashed my n800, so I reinstalled emacs, of course. I agree with your post: emacs on the n800 is cool. Thanks again, Daniel!

Hi!

My first post... please excuse any newbie violations!

I picked up an N800 last week with the express purpose of
running emacs, specifically with org-mode, to finally have a replacement for my defunct Psion.,

I have a couple of questions:

1. where can I get the libxaw7 dependency for the X version of emacs? I've searched here and elsewhere with no luck.

2. Has anybody installed wanderlust?

Only 3 days since I got my tablet but I'm already hooked!

Thanks for any pointers,

eric

Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
1. where can I get the libxaw7 dependency for the X version of emacs? I've searched here and elsewhere with no luck.
I think that might just be in the standard repository; try (as root)

apt-get install libxaw7

Jay

Originally Posted by belanger View Post
I think that might just be in the standard repository; try (as root)

apt-get install libxaw7

Jay
Thanks but I've tried this already (although new to the tablet, I have many years' experience with Debian):

~ $ sudo apt-get install libxaw7
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libxaw7 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package libxaw7 has no installation candidate
~ $

The repositories I currently have included are:

~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list
deb http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/certified/ diablo user
deb http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/non-certified/ diablo user
deb http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/updates/diablo-2/ ./
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ diablo free non-free
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/ diablo free non-free
~ $

My guess is that I'm missing a repository?

Thanks again,
eric