Years ago I bought a n770 online, having never touched one. In my estimation, I expected it to be about the size of a Nexus 7 (only thicker).

I was astonished at the size when it arrived, then immediately wanted an n800 for more power. Over the years, I owned a few n800's and n810's and always loved playing with them. They never really fully scratched an itch I had though as far as media playback and spotty wifi (MY fault) in the bedroom always made me pass them on.

Now I have an iPhone (soon going back to Android for phone usage) and use my iPad non-stop. I miss Maemo though. I am not sure what it is about it. Can't be openness because Android has that. I honestly think it is a style and design thing. I wish my iPhone had the flair of the n900 interface. I miss the styling of the styling of the n770 hardware.

There is no point to this post other than to let another voice be heard that Maemo/Meego should somehow live on. Shoehorning onto a new device is fine by me. I just miss it.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I love your post for the nostalgia reasons, I'm a 770 owner that came here knowing that I'd probably need to purchase something a bit more beefy later down the line. I've used the N800, N810, liked the N900 (reluctantly) and now own a N9 as a daily user until I replace it. I now have an iPad (3rd generation) and a Nexus 7. Both feel great, are what I've been wanting since my 770 in terms of functionality. Shame that Nokia didn't stay in that game.

And by your join date, you're part of the original ITT crew. And just like you, I miss Maemo. Loved how people would solve problems that I didn't even know I had. By the time I got the N810, I helped folks limit how much RAM and room it took up on boot that most of us never used. Smarter folks made scripts that did the same on the N900. Now? We're largely left to nostalgic posts where we recall the better days and find ourselves missing a lot of "would have, could have, should have" intents from Nokia and this community.

The spotty wi-fi is nothing compared to the spotty GPS on the N810.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Haha... You are so old. What device was your favorite?

Step 1?
Step 2?
Step 3?
Step 4?
Step 5?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
And... this is representative of what TMO ne้ ITT has to offer. See above.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And... this is representative of what TMO ne้ ITT has to offer. See above.
True. Some live in the past and think they are better than others. Some answer the questions if/when they can to help others with their questions/issues, when they can.

ITT vs TMO 0-1

Grandmothers and grandfathers Gerbick is that some rewrite of geriatric?

For me the Palm Tungsten III ( I think) was somehow optimal at its time. Then came the N800. It had lots of things the Palm didn't in terms of web, but no functional PIM for everyday use. The N900 had both, sort of, and lots of other fun, but it was flaky for everyday use. The N9 I can't even be flashed in a meaningful manner, but is OK for everyday use. Then came the Lumia, it CAN be flashed in a meaningful manner AND is almost perfect for everyday use. Strange how things evolve

But of course if you live in the past, and the iPhone is the pinnacle for which everything ELSE is to be measured, then the present will never be fun - unless you are honest with yourself and get that iPhone you always wanted and forget about the past.

I love the past, I love the present. You could too, just stop being fanboys

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by specc View Post
The N9 I can't even be flashed in a meaningful manner, but is OK for everyday use. Then came the Lumia, it CAN be flashed in a meaningful manner AND is almost perfect for everyday use.
What does "flashed in a meaningful manner" mean?
Just curious, I mean flashing N9 is quite easy but I have no lumias so I do not know how is it different with it? And what can you flash on it except windows?

Why not focus on the maemo devices here? If you even know what the OP talking about?

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-12-16 at 17:04.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What does "flashed in a meaningful manner" mean?
Just curious, I mean flashing N9 is quite easy but I have no lumias so I do not know how is it different with it? And what can you flash on it except windows?
It's impossible to "flash back". You can't downgrade, not even to a vanilla version.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by specc View Post
It's impossible to "flash back". You can't downgrade, not even to a vanilla version.
OK, that is really true. I have to concur it is not nice but it seems to be more or less an industry standard. I am quite surprised that you can actually flash an older version to Lumias. It must be because the OS is microsoft's, not Nokia's and they propably did not have time to implement the locking due to having a pressure to get the device to market.
Still, it's not possible to flash anything else than WP on the devices, unfortunately.

Tags
maemo, nostalgia