Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Since we have a locale selector now and a great set of en_US strings thanks to timeless:

As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Hmm, did DannyBiker's board die again? :P
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Would the default OS or MER be able to WINE? Would I be able to play Fallout on it (Or the second game)?

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Originally Posted by fredoll View Post
Looks like Smart Q5 is now available at DealExtreme :
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26366

price 151.51$
Shipping worldwide is Free ...

I already bought several items at DealExtreme and never had a problem with them.
Usually the item takes 3 weeks to arrive but it does arrive !

Fred
I have bought three seperate times from them and have not had any problems. I'm also very pleased with the items I did buy as they worked as they were suppose to and are very inexpensive.

Originally Posted by Devilmandex View Post
Would the default OS or MER be able to WINE?
No. You can't run 386 code on an ARM processor without emulation.

Would I be able to play Fallout on it (Or the second game)?
No. Emulation is slow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Well, it could work on an x86 box and/or Virtualbox...

Please help me make a decision between SmartQ 5 and N810.
I'll appreciate any comments, experience, or advice.

1. The picture of SmartQ 5 seems to suggest it has a microphone. Is this true? If so, can this device run the Skype client for calls?

2. Compared to N810, how long does the SmartQ 5's battery last (for example in case of Internet browsing or movie watching)?

3. N810 seems to have a good selection of programs, notably the mapper, vnc viewer, and various game emulators. What about SmartQ5? Does it also have such programs? If so, how do they compare to those in N810?

4. Is it possible to hookup a GPS device to SmartQ 5 and make it function like N810? If so, how convenient is it - the size of the GPS device, cable between devices, power supply to the GPS device, and the like?

5. Is the body of SmartQ 5 aluminum, or plastic? How durable do you think is it to everyday use, or dropping?

Originally Posted by sun4384 View Post
I'll appreciate any comments, experience, or advice.

1. The picture of SmartQ 5 seems to suggest it has a microphone. Is this true? If so, can this device run the Skype client for calls?
I tried running skype by copying the binaries of skype and a few libraries (the ones not installable by apt-get). It resulted with "Illegal instruction fault", and I did not look into it further.

2. Compared to N810, how long does the SmartQ 5's battery last (for example in case of Internet browsing or movie watching)?
Much shorter. There is no real power management in Mer on the Q5 at the moment. I did not use the original firmware enough to see if it does better.

3. N810 seems to have a good selection of programs, notably the mapper, vnc viewer, and various game emulators. What about SmartQ5? Does it also have such programs? If so, how do they compare to those in N810?
A lot of programs from diablo/fremantle extras work
on Mer (there is not much difference between Mer on Q5 and N800 in this regard). There are also a lot of programs from Ubuntu that can be installed.

4. Is it possible to hookup a GPS device to SmartQ 5 and make it function like N810? If so, how convenient is it - the size of the GPS device, cable between devices, power supply to the GPS device, and the like?
It is probably possible, though I don't know if it was actually done. You can connect to GPS by USB or BT. Sizes, cables, etc. depend on what you chose to use.

5. Is the body of SmartQ 5 aluminum, or plastic? How durable do you think is it to everyday use, or dropping?
Plastic, does not appear to be very durable - but why would you plan on dropping it?

Originally Posted by sun4384 View Post
I don't have a SmartQ, so I can't give much input on most of these, but if you're considering the SmartQ a plausible option, you should probably also consider the N800; with the N800, you save $50 or more (vs. the N810) by skipping the keyboard, get a D-pad on the face of the device where you can always use it, and get the full-capacity SD slots...

The usual route with N800s (before the N810, and for those still using them) was a bluetooth GPS, eliminating the cable issue. Size of standalone GPSes, whether BT or GPS, ranges from a large thumb drive up, but the common BT ones typically are around 1.5" x 2" and 0.8" to 1" thick; obviously, the size correlates with battery life. USB GPSes are also usable. All that should apply equally to the SmartQ 5.

As for functioning "like an N810", an external GPS should get better results, as the N810's GPS has a very bad reputation for slowness getting an initial fix. FWIW, of my two BT GPSes, one is about the same as my N810, the other one's somewhat faster, but none of the 3 are as slow as the N810 is generally reported to be. But given the level of complaints online, it's possible my N810 is just a reverse lemon.

Thank you very much for great answers!

Indeed, SmartQ 5 seems not to be a suitable device for me, since running Skype is the single most important thing to do with one of these devices. I only hope Skype video call is made possible on N8x0 in the future...

Please correct me if I'm wrong. The reason for not wanting N800 instead of N810 is the size. I hope to carry the device everywhere, from bed to bus. Pocketability/portability is really important. (In this regard, I hoped to have SmartQ 5 since it's much lighter than Nokia ones.) Also the GPS thing will be valuable from time to time, and carrying extra GPS module is somehow cumbersome, and it's not likely to be with me every moment. I'm forgetful... On top of that, N800 seems to be found nowhere these days... The extra keyboard might be useful sometimes.

Tags
parting of the red sea