Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
The summary pof Elops statements today:

With WP7 there is no space for MeeGo and Symbian any more. Symbian will have its place in the short run until WP7 is ready.
MeeGo is called a "community project" but we all know how "community projects" are handled at Nokia. Hello Maemo. Besides, after such statements- who does he expect will by the single MeeGo device planned to appear this year after the N900 experience?

With Symbian and MeeGo going down the sink QT will also. No plans for WP7 so here you go.
And no, there is no community to pick Qt up in a way equivalent to Nokia. This will not work withtout a dramatical loss of flexibility unless an investor kicks in. Or TrollTech is revitalized as a single company.

What Elop did is to kill not only platforms but also the whole ecosystem behind them- users base, developers base, community.
There was hope for a brilliant future with lots of visions but Elop listened to the analysts. Which will prove to be completely wrong.

We can see it already today. Well, farewell.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to ofels For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
When you already have other hardware manufacturers selling their products with your OS the best trump card you can play is to merge err I mean "collaborate" with their only competition. If Nokia goes down the toilet, it's one less rival to worry about and if it doesn't, you've just secured a whole new market to sell your .product licenses to.

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Seems like nokia just does not have the guts.

Essentially they are giving up their goal of being a software company by cooperating with big daddy microsoft.

Elop said meego development is too slow...then speed it up for gods sake! You're supposed to be the software guy!

Nokia and everybody depending on it were getting cold feet (or should I say, are peeing their pants for warmth?).

Last edited by Rugoz; 2011-02-11 at 11:15.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Seems like nokia just does not have the guts.

Essentially they are giving up their goal of being a software company by cooperating with big daddy microsoft.

Elop said meego development is too slow...then speed it up for gods sake! You're supposed to be the software guy!

Nokia and everybody depending on it were getting cold feet.
Absolutely. Drain resources from Symbian and also hire additional resources for Meego if it's going too slow.

Simple message to give out:
1 Devices before October 1st 2011
5 Devices before January 1st 2012

Throw money at it and say: We're doing this for real.

Axing the software people means they can quickly axe the hardware people as well as there won't be that many devices to sell. So yes a reduction in Nokia employees for real!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
@Ofels:

I am afraid that you are correct. Sad day.

Well, if you want to post your feelings to Nokia there is lot of comments being posted at Nokia Conversations "Ask Steve and Stephen" post:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...n/?sf1066352=1

Twitter:

Stephen Elop
http://twitter.com/#!/selop

Niklas Savander
http://twitter.com/#!/NiklasatNokia

Tero Ojanperä
http://twitter.com/#!/TeroatNokia

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Germany
I find it kind of hard to comprehend that tweets like those are going to convince anyone:

It's now a three-horse ecosystem race #NokMsft
Great opportunity for devs & operators in war of ecosystems. Welcome to the new ecosystem. http://nokia.ly/f0InQe
#NokMsft have some of the world’s most admired brands, like Windows, Office, Bing, Xbox Live, NAVTEQ & Nokia
Empty marketing waffle. Anyone for some "Bullsh*t-Bingo"?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigLebowski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
This would make the n900 even more a classic device than it is today...

By choosing the WP7 route they are also giving up their goal of being no. one again. No way that is going to happen with WP7. Their only chance for that is Meego...

But surely it seems bad... there are big chance i will go as i do when i buy a computer next time.. that is for specs. And the flash it with Ubuntu or some other flavour.

But who know... maybe another company can see the light now? There is no way to stop evolution. Especially if it is better and free.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Symbian too?

All that time an effort on QT, Intel partnership and what not. What a waste of cycles.

Bye Nokia.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Qt will live on for other open source projects.

This is without a doubt the dumbest move in Nokia history.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
So Flop's talk about ecosystems and burning platforms meant:

A). Handing out Nokia's ecosystem to Microsoft for free.
B). Setting Meego on fire.
C.) Setting Qt on fire.
D). Throwing gasoline on allready burning Symbian.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:

Tags
where's dan