Posts: 12 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2006 @ Chicago,IL
TTgowings, Last time I checked, AT&T sells a 'branded' N75.
However, I feel that people are better off buying a phone outright... unbranded, unlocked but, I
also understand others who get an affordable phone with a contract.

OP: One is a phone; the other is not. OS also is can be an issue...

A couple of significant factors.
1) The tilt runs Windows, which has a huge library of available polished software, much of which is commercial (you have to pay for it).
2) The IT software is mostly free, but very limited. Software developers for the IT, generously do so for free, but without a profit motive, they focus on application they find most useful for their own needs, which aren't what most mainstream users want. Hence, there is no PIM application that syncs with the most commonly used desktop applications. There is also no office suite that supports the most common document file formats. I've seen the argument that this is NOT a PDA, but, for god's sake, it IS a computer an should be able to handle PIM and office type aplications.

3) Web browsing is much better on the IT than on any PPC I've used, but there is a new browser called Skyfire that is in beta, that may significantly close the gap.

4) The Tilt is also a cell phone.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by TTgowings View Post
I was this close to getting a Tilt a couple months ago, but instead went with the DUO.
Yeah, the DUO looks more interesting to me than the Tilt.

I don't want a windows phone. I consider WinMo to be a liability, not an advantage. So, the DUO has all of the upsides of the Tilt, without the downsides. Except that I don't know how well the DUO does with tethering.

If there's ever a NIT with 3G GSM or EVDO, and with a sliding tilt screen, I'll probably use that single device.

Without that, then any good solid phone, with a keyboard for TXTing, and solid tethering ability, is all I need. I don't need it to have PDA functionality, because I'll use my NIT for that. In fact, if my Samsung SCH-R410 had bluetooth-dun and EVDO, that'd be all I needed. (well, that, and an option through MetroPCS to not have any port filtering/proxies)

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
I've had 0 luck with my DUO and N800, it pairs but yet they never connect or see each other after pairing, so that goes for tethering as well.

I've got posts here, Howard Forums, ATT, and the XDA developers site. No one seems to know why they won't see each other.

And I have no probs with my BT keyboard on the N800 and a BT headset on the phone side.

I just got an HTC Mogul (thru Sprint) this week, which is pretty much the same as the tilt, except the screen doesn't actually tilt when you slide it out, its more like the n810 and stays flat.

I was planning on making a new thread to compare it to my 770, but until then, I'll just post a few observations here.

-the htc is smaller than the IT's. length/width, its a tad smaller than an iphone or ipod touch, but it is thicker at .7 inches. so its easier to carry around, though its noticably heavier and bigger than a traditional cell phone.

-the mogul has both EVDO and WiFi for connecting to the net. This is extremely convenient, since you can go online anywhere you have cell reception, and instantly switch to wifi if you are near a hot spot. it also came with a 512mb mini-SD card installed. The BIG reason I got this, is because a friend of mine hooked me up with Sprint's special referral plan, which is 500 phone minutes + UNLIMITED text and data for $30/month. That was cheaper than my 350 min plan (phone only!) with ATT! yay, free internets!

-the small 320x240 resolution hampers internet browsing. especially compared to the 800x480 on the IT's. This is where the IT shines IMO. IE for PPC is actually pretty good otherwise. I was able to change some settings in IE (smaller text and page layout mode w/ full screen), and the browser is much better and much more usable now, but still not as good as the IT. Apple's safari browser scales much better than IE for what its worth.

-I tried opera with the flash plugin, and it worked decent. Youtube videos play, but they are choppy so I uninstalled opera, and just use a plugin for IE with the Core media player (TCPMP) and it works great! when you click on a youtube link, it prompts you to either download, or watch the clip. if you click on 'watch', tcpmp opens and starts playing the clip without much delay.

-The device comes with a decent amount of software on it already. PIM functions such as calendar, tasks, contacts etc are already installed. It comes with office mobile with pocket word, excel, and powerpoint. Windows media player, windows live, picture viewer, calculator, instant messaging, and more. A lot of this stuff you would need to install on an IT.

-There is a lot of free software for WM6. I downloaded and istalled Google Maps interface, and the core media player with flash plugin for youtube type videos, I also installed a homescreen customizer, and the "Touchflo" interface that comes on other HTC phones that don't have a keyboard. And I do have to say that installing extra software is so much easier on WM than it is on Meamo. no repositories to search for and download. Just copy the .cab file on the device and click it.
And I haven't had any stability problems with WM6. Except when I tried minimo, it crashed within a few minutes, but IE seems to work very well so far, so that's what I use. It does have a very annoying bug (feature?) though. A lot of applications don't actually 'close' when you exit the program. They continue to run in the background, so every now and then you have to check the memory task manager and manually close all the apps to free up memory (at least you can click "close all"). that is ******ed. thx microsoft!

-video plays video just fine. I encoded a few TV shows to 320x240, and they play perfectly on the device (I use TCPMP). Much better than my 770 plays video.

-The keyboard is small, but convenient. feel could be better, and the buttons have only a slight curve to them, but after using it for a bit, you get used to it and thumb typing becomes pretty easy.

I was hoping to replace my IT with this smartphone device, but I'm not sure I'm going to sell my 770 just yet. for strictly browsing, the IT has the advantage with a great high res screen. if the HTC screen were higher resolution, I'd already have the 770 on eBay. But for now, I'll use the 770 when I'm lounging around the house, but will use the HTC for all my other needs.

Last edited by mike-y; 2008-02-01 at 17:18.

Assuming that if you get an N810 you still want a phone, then the comparison would be between a Tilt v N810 + Phone.

In this case, the camera etc. potentially becomes less significant due to them being available in the phone etc...

I've got the N810 and looking to pick up the N82, so camera is not an issue...

Zuber