Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Don't really understand this love for the UI buttons too. Each time I'm looking at my wife's phone, I'm amazed how much room is lost in the Android UI. You can get any screen Full HD or higher, but you always loose the space eaten by those stupid buttons on the bottom. Same applies to Windows Phone too.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Can you share any details?
Not really because I already told pretty much everything I know.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bubbless For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Bubbless View Post
Not really because I already told pretty much everything I know.
Everybody else here is somewhere between concerned and convinced that the device is vaporware, so any little bit, no matter how trivial or boring would be of interest to us.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Everybody else here is somewhere between concerned and convinced that the device is vaporware, so any little bit, no matter how trivial or boring would be of interest to us.
Sure

1. At least one working prototype exists.

2. It is running SFOS(no sign of Turing's own UI on top of it that I could see)

3. It gives an impression of a high-quality, premium device.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Bubbless For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by romu View Post
Don't really understand this love for the UI buttons too. Each time I'm looking at my wife's phone, I'm amazed how much room is lost in the Android UI. You can get any screen Full HD or higher, but you always loose the space eaten by those stupid buttons on the bottom. Same applies to Windows Phone too.
I never understood why they changed the way it looks on tablets, all the information like the time, battery, Wi-Fi and the back/home/whatever buttons used to be in one row at the bottom, and now there's one at the top and one at the bottom, which takes way too much space in landscape mode. Luckily you can do as mscion, use GMD Gestures and hide those stupid bars, but it's still a pretty bad experience overall.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ @Finland
Originally Posted by BluesLee View Post
I don't know if a phone called 'oysters' can have any success but i said the same regarding the 'iphone' (ei-phone in German) :-)
According to the company, in 2014 "Over one-and-a-half million Oysters devices were sold"...

And next year: No1 in Tablets (Oysters занимает лидирующую позицию по продажам планшетов в России по итогам года)

http://oysters.ru/en/about_us/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slate For This Useful Post:
The produce shitty tablets that sell for like 40-60$.

The Following User Says Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bubbless View Post
Sure

1. At least one working prototype exists.

2. It is running SFOS(no sign of Turing's own UI on top of it that I could see)

3. It gives an impression of a high-quality, premium device.
Then it's not a working prototype. Since they claim they'll have their own UI layer on top of Sailfish on the phone.

3 weeks ago they said production had started and first customers would receive their device in the first week of June. They then deleted that comment. Comment now says on FB (from a couple of weeks ago) that people will receive their phone in late June (oh yeah?). Their Twitter has still been dead for 7 months, and website's still dead.

Regarding it being 'advanced' ... it has an SD801 in mid 2016, assuming it actually launches. The lower mid range Mediatek chipset in the Oyster is much faster. The specified screen is something that plenty of $250 Chinese phones can easily exceed in quality. I'm assuming the camera, like the main chipset is an end of bin, years old, bargain Sony unit, which was high end once upon a time, but would shame most cheap devices these days. The unobtainium alloy is what people are supposed to stump up $800-1K for? Really?

Gestures and Android:

There's no reason not to use almost entirely gestures now, as @mscion hinted at, if you're happy to root your phone (usually a simple process). The gesture options are also far more comprehensive and configurable in Android than we've ever had access to in 3 years of 'development' of Sailfish, as a supposedly gesture based OS.

Still, hardware buttons do have some use. If you have sweaty, wet or sticky hands, soft keys and gestures aren't much fun. Same regarding gloves in winter.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2016-06-10 at 22:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
personally from a dev point of view, i like how accessible sfos people are, guys like Stskeeps, sledges and so many more will happily help you on irc, while trying to get helping with building android took the piss. and get hold of the actual engineers was even harder.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
it has an SD801 in mid 2016, assuming it actually launches. The lower mid range Mediatek chipset in the Oyster is much faster.
Nope. That old sd801 is a more powerful chip than the nonsense MediaTek regularly churns out. The MT6753 is an octa core of low performance A53 cores. It's role is to be in low end devices or to be part of chips with A57 cores. The SD801 is 4 Krait 400 cores. Rather have 4 older but high end cores than 8 low end cores.

The SD801 is only bettered by SD805, 820, 652 and Exonys chips. Even the SD810 loses out due to its poor thermal efficiency. It's one of the reasons why 2014 Android devices still last and people were not too bothered to upgrade to 2015 devices.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: