http://www.semsons.com/wigiwblgpsre.html

You have to set it to 10Hz but that is the maximum update rate and it will output sentences at that rate. It can also do 2Hz and 4Hz and others.

I just got it so I don't know much beyond the initial impressions.

It has USB (as CDC acm serial).

It takes a bit longer to get a cold cold first time fix.

Manual and setup utility is a bit confusing - DO read the help for each page and/or the ONLINE manual for the setup.

It claims it is waterproof, but I wouldn't immerse it.

Surprisingly small (like the common sized ones that all use the same batteries but not as thick, nor long).

I'll have more to report after a test-drive and some more analysis, but so far it looks good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Wow, that is a spicy gps

It gets better (though I've not tried it with the stock mapping/nav program or the others, only my own "Zmapper", which I have to tweak to handle 10Hz gracefully when there are thousands of waypoints).

It is probably the most sensitive GPS device I've used - and the MTKs used to have that honor. The difference is not that great, as both are rated around -158db. But indoors, it can be used several feet farther inside (after acquiring a lock).

I don't know about SBAS/WAAS - it is enabled, but I don't see the satellites on the list, but they may not be listed there as they are on most others. I have to check other sentences for DGPS which I've not done yet.

It is doing the full 10Hz update rate. The battery life seems OK, but I've not gone to full discharge yet.

The setup program is only for windows (until I find the command set), but it is very much like the MTKs, except it enables extra sentences including error, and the satellite lock is updated at 10Hz too. There are many versatile and useful options, but it takes some reading of the online help to figure out exactly how to do things.

As I mentioned, the serial port is CDC/acm, but not recognized on my MacBookPro/Tiger (but I can use BT). It is recognize under Linux. I've not yet tried n810 host mode.

I just checked - with the cdc_acm.ko module installed, it is recognized, and the NMEA stream is at /dev/ttyACM0. No extra power required, but most new GPS units use far less than 100ma (and this comes up as an ANTARIS(r) 4 with 100mA max). And it does appear to charge it, but I think it would drain the n810 if that was not connected to a charger.

One small but annoying problem. I can't get WAAS (SBAS) to turn on, or it is on but isn't giving any indication. I've used their configuration utility, but might have to try something else. The precision gain would be small but useful.

So far, that is the only thing I can complain about. And it may be me (I have some emails to various support places).
+

There is apparently an error in the firmware (or actually it is merely out of date) that the WAAS satellites listed (122,134) are old. This might just be in the configuration program under the SBAS tab.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAAS

I just tried setting SBAS to Enabled, all three boxes checked, then Other 135,138 and it locked in.

There is nothing in GSV which I can see, but the DGPS indicator in GPGGA shows it is on.

So I've got 10Hz, WAAS, good battery efficiency (it goes to sleep but not off if bluetooth detaches and doesn't use much when on), in a very small case (the widest dimension is that of the n810's screen) for $70.

I did have a hiccup with BT detaching but it may have just been where I had them in the car, or trying to tweak my mapping program to keep up. For several long periods it has worked perfectly.

I have a Wintek 300BT and can't get it to comunicate with my Toshiba e750 which has the expansion device giving it host capability and is running Mobile 2003. I don't know if you can help me but this would be the perfect combination for my kart racing. My other options are in the $600-700 range. As you were describing your devices, it sounded like you know alot more about USB than I do. Please help me get past this problem.
Thanks,
Mark

What is an e750 / Mobile 2003?

The Winte-C- 300 is an alias for the GRays1.

My suspicion is the "host capability" doesn't include cdc/acm serial ports, or doesn't recognize the Wintek as one.

Try bluetooth if you have it.

I had it out for my motorcycle ride last night - the n810 to the GR1 via bluetooth, and I apparently missed a few GPS sentences. It was just in my bag and I didn't attempt to keep things on, so it may have been a powersave mode or something. So this morning I tried the USB host mode (with the cdc_acm.ko module), and it grabbed every bit of data, and it was sending to the point a 115200 baud link would be almost saturated. I'll have to arrange power (though I think it would likely last a while), but this might be even better.

I have to retract it. Apparently when it is retuning or changing sets of satellites it can skip a fix (or two). This is not necessarily wrong - if it hasn't computed the coordinates. I could try 4Hz but want to see. It seems that when it has a good and consistent lock (not me blocking alternate halves of the sky every few seconds) I get the full 10 samples.

This probably works for Bluetooth as well, but I can't get some of the "private" detail sentences which would help determine why some of the points are missing.