Active Topics

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
I have had battery drain issues on my N810 when I flashed to Diablo. It's been frustrating, since it does not appear to be consistent across all user experiences. According to posts here, it happens to many people but not to everyone.

I installed the Diablo update last week (4.2008.30-2). I have had no battery drain problems since! Something must have been fixed ... at least for me.

What has your experience been -- if you had drain issues?

The Following User Says Thank You to frethop For This Useful Post:
I've noticed the same thing.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Actually, from what I've been hearing, the update wash pushed mostly for that purpose.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by frethop View Post
...I installed the Diablo update last week (4.2008.30-2)....

How did you find out earlier than anybody else?

bun

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
How did you find out earlier than anybody else?
Oops...I just guessed the date wrong. I got it like everybody else.

The Following User Says Thank You to frethop For This Useful Post:
I too noticed much improved battery life, but it was from a chinook to diablo upgrade.

Last edited by st5150; 2008-08-13 at 06:36.

I have observed something strange recently and I have absolutely no idea if this has been true in past firmware revisions or is related to the power drain issue. When I powered off my n800 last night because the battery was low I had the alarm set. Typically, I wake up 5 minutes before the stupid thing goes off so I didn't worry about it. This morning I woke up as usual and at about 2 minutes before the alarm was set to go off, the N800 actually switched itself on (from a power off state) and the alarm sounded (although not the music file I had previously set). I wonder if the power issue was somehow related to the machine trying to save enough power to allow something like this to happen. And if this is well known or has already been reported than I apologize for wasting your time=)

Originally Posted by jnack95 View Post
I wonder if the power issue was somehow related to the machine trying to save enough power to allow something like this to happen. And if this is well known or has already been reported than I apologize for wasting your time=)
Probably not. Even when your tablet is "fully off", it draws the tiniest trickle of power to keep time. That way when you turn it back on, it still knows what time it is.

The same hardware that is typically used to keep track of time typically also provides the ability to set alarms, and further usually allows the system to be powered on again based on an alarm.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by DataPath View Post
Probably not. Even when your tablet is "fully off", it draws the tiniest trickle of power to keep time. That way when you turn it back on, it still knows what time it is.
Not "probably", definitely not. It's yet another cool feature of ARM that it can power on quickly and easy to fire off alarms without impacting the power usage idling for them.

Originally Posted by DataPath View Post

The same hardware that is typically used to keep track of time typically also provides the ability to set alarms, and further usually allows the system to be powered on again based on an alarm.
I understand that. What I was specifically wondering is: If, in trying to allow the machine enough power to still wake up, boot and start the alarm (which requires significant power from the non-soft-off), the code to shutdown power threshold had been tweaked with to allow this to happen i.e. a virtual power threshold scheme was (improperly) implemented (maybe only if an alarm was active).....or maybe this feature always existed and I only noticed it now. I've alot of trouble with the alarm after upgrading to Diablo (seems to work properly now...maybe too good). Anyway, it doesn't really matter so I'll just stop rambling

Tags
battery drain, diablo