Posts: 73 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
So when I picked my n810 up today I noticed a rattle. At first I was thinking maybe the keyboard hinge had failed and it was flopping around but I held it up and gave it a little wiggle and realized it was something internal.

So I opened the battery compartment door, and the damn battery just about fell out into my lap.

Is there nothing that holds the battery down? The end opposite the connectors seems to be moving when I move the unit. It doesn't unplug but it makes a rattle.

I might just put a piece of masking tape on it for now. But it seems odd theres no little clip or latch on that end.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The battery fits totally snugly. It doesn't rattle around any more than your feet rattle around in your shoes. I guess if I shake the device, I can make it rattle slightly, but not in a significant way.

What the heck...

What holds it in? can someone provide a picture? or a description?

Honestly. if I take the battery compartment door off and turn the unit upside down the battery will fall out.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland, Europe
Mine rattled too.

Use something like blutack, that's what I did because I couldn't stand the fact that the battery was constantly sliding.

BTW another thing that rattles a little is the stylus.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
there is a certain amount of spring in the contact points between battery and device, or at least there should be. this forces the battery against the edge of its compartment, holding it in place.

I put a bit of folded card down the side of the battery, no more rattle.

It depends on manufacturing and assembly tolerances -- most batteries in N800s and N810s fit snugly enough, but a few have excessive looseness -- folded paper, a little piece of tape, or whatever takes care of it. Honestly, I'd rather have a separate clip hold the battery in, but that's supposed to be the battery cover's job. Tape keeps mine from coming loose when I change cards, even though it has no perceptible rattle when closed.

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Bangkok, Thailand
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
It depends on manufacturing and assembly tolerances -- most batteries in N800s and N810s fit snugly enough, but a few have excessive looseness -- folded paper, a little piece of tape, or whatever takes care of it. Honestly, I'd rather have a separate clip hold the battery in, but that's supposed to be the battery cover's job. Tape keeps mine from coming loose when I change cards, even though it has no perceptible rattle when closed.
Agreed. I have no problem with the default Nokia battery. But a Mugen 1800-Ma battery was not only rattling around, it wasn't making good electrical contact. A bit of padding solved the problem.

thaibill

Thanks guys. I put 2 small tabs of masking tape and it's fine.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Yeah mine rattles too. See also another similar thread http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=26792

Tags
battery, loose, rattle