Notices

Hi All,

Because I love using the Google Maps App on my N95, and will miss it on my N900 (the web browser version will not do - it would be awkward t ouse and isn't location aware).

I'd love for the big G to port the mobile app to the N900/Maemo5. So I created the following post, under the Maps, Feature Requests / Suggestions section. Hopefully if enough people post there to express their interest hopefully it'll get noticed, and something might happen.

So feel free to post here:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...ee0c06c6&hl=en

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dexter1759 For This Useful Post:
Hey that's a great idea, Dexter. If you check the post you made, you will notice someone has replied in support

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I'll just use Ovi. It's good enough for my needs.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I'll just use Ovi. It's good enough for my needs.
Other than needing internet, Ovi maps doesn't even come close if you're trying to 'search' for a store,landmark or even address in USA... its not even close it's sad. Maybe in Europe its just as good?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Nope, at least in Italy. Google's coverage is way better.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Good shout Dexter, have been trying to find out about this myself for a little while too.

There's also this thread in a diffferent part of the google mobile forum that someone put up:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...5398e001&hl=en

It's asking pretty much the same thing but the more noise made the more likely it is that something to get done so can't hurt for people interested to post in both.

Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Good shout Dexter, have been trying to find out about this myself for a little while too.

There's also this thread in a diffferent part of the google mobile forum that someone put up:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...5398e001&hl=en

It's asking pretty much the same thing but the more noise made the more likely it is that something to get done so can't hurt for people interested to post in both.
Thanks, didn't realise there was a mobile area too.

I didn't realise that Android was Linux based and had Google Maps already, so hopefully it should be easy to get it ported.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Is maemo-mapper being ported, anyone talked to gnuite?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by Dexter1759 View Post
Thanks, didn't realise there was a mobile area too.

I didn't realise that Android was Linux based and had Google Maps already, so hopefully it should be easy to get it ported.
The problem is that the android version makes use of the Android API which is based around the Java API (admittedly with many changes and tweaks). It wont be quite as simple as a recompile. I have hope it will happen though.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Google Maps on Maemo would be one of the best apps to have for an always connected device like the N900.

I also have to switch to my N95 with Google maps and Latitude when meeting up with friends in the city (where I am lost always).

Edit : Google Traffic updates on the maps itself has often saved me a lot of hassle when on the road too.

Tags
google maps, port