Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
no more maemo, no more maemo, maybe someday android or maybe tizen give us something like on our N900?, no offense,
I'm hoping for tizen, sounds promising. Just hoping that there will be some hardware manufacturer that go for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'm not a developer and have no significant problems with my N900. On the other hand, it appears that my new Android tablet will NEVER be able to read a chess book from my tablet and display the moves from the tablet at the same time because using more than one window at a time doesn't work very well.

Guys...everybody has different use cases but it's clear that xxxts is not happy and wishes to move on. Respect that and give him suggestions, not arguments. Arguing senselessly how your own choices are better is getting nowhere fast.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
some of you guys have so much tunnel vision.... lars i am laughing so much at your last post right now...

how about this... i open the door and let some light into your dark little world....

... how do you access mobile services from a third party provider with the n900 ? i trade shares/fx - how do I do that on the n900 ? no broker has release a trading platform for maemo. You expect me to use a clunky web interface (lolers) ?

or internet banking - how do I do that on the n900 ? do i have to use the website and squint on that little screen to click links ? example here in Australia we have ANZ goMoney app - i can do most of my banking on the bus and do stuff like pay to mobile...

or what happens if I need to open and edit business documents ? you want me to load up open office ? lol

most of my friends are on whatsapp - what do i do with the n900 ? make them move back to msn ? yea the majority should accomodate the minority...

do i need to mention games ? or good navigation ? list goes on and on....

the only thing that n900 offer is pure linux functionality and multitasking - thats it. just because there is alot of **** on the android/ios markets does not mean that its all ****... talk about focusing on a strawman.

From a functionality PoV (who really gives a SH1t about FOSS outside of the fanatics?) the n900 is in the stone age. The "dumb smart phones" have everyday functionality that normal ppl actually use. you know, the ppl you actually see out there walking on the street.

But hey whatever floats your boat.

i honestly am not sure if some of you guys are serious about what you type or you just pulling my leg... lololol some of you guys are so out of touch... no wonder FOSS mobile never gets anywhere if it is ppl like you who drive it...
All of that and spell check/voice recognition. People call navigation on the iPhone because it does not use text to speech like Android. AND WE DON'T EVEN HAVE SPELL CHECK!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Isn't it up to xxxts to reshape the conversation if he doesn't like the way this one is going?

Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
All of that and spell check/voice recognition. People call navigation on the iPhone because it does not use text to speech like Android. AND WE DON'T EVEN HAVE SPELL CHECK!
I find it pretty pathetic that people can't spell their NATIVE language. Oh, unless the errors occurred from using that crappy on-board keyboard. English is not my native language and I don't find anything wrong with it when it comes to speling (sarcasm alert). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Nuuskis; 2012-03-07 at 13:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nuuskis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
@xxxxts

Your use case has dramatically changed, then.

The N900, was a developer's platform - what other phone is out there, that has a hardware keyboard, works acceptably as a normal phone and can boot any ARM Linux distro you can find?
It's a geek's toy, clearly not aimed at the John S. Smith consumer.
And as you may have noticed, it is quite rough around the edges.
And yes, I will parade around the word: COMMUNITY COMMUNITY COMMUNITY. It's the one thing the N900 can still rely on these days. Same for the N9. It sucks, but Nokia doesn't seem too keen on making a Harmattan HE for the N900 like the NITs before it.

Oh, and before the N900, Nokia has had a history with pump-and-dumping Maemo users. Especially regarding the whole opennness thing. And the PowerVR MBX driver thingy.

And post-N900 (aka N9) - it's stillborn. Period. Nokia will probably cease updates after PR1.2 or PR1.3.
Had lots of potential though. What a waste.

Android, is well, Android. As long as you don't buy from Moto and HTC, and stick to flagship phones (hint: these cost the same price as Nokia flagships), you bet it'll stick on XDA for years.
The difference is just in the hardware, really.
It's pretty easy to use, and for aforementioned (modern) flagship devices, only massive autists care about the lag.

iOS devices are plain, simple things.
They work well enough to be a phone, and a platform for casual games (Infinity Blade is a b***h on a 3.5" screen)
However, doing serious geek things on them is a pain. Yes, I've tried. Yes, I've jailbroken all iOS devices in my house (wanna see them side by side with my N900?). The VKB takes up almost half the screen, and is tuned for daily typing, so any sort of CLI admin work is a real PITA.
(P.S.: The overclock video you showed was basically turning off power management. That's like "kernel-config limits 1150 1150")

tl;dr: Nokia does things half-baked (but lets 1337 users bake the other half if they wanted), iOS devices spoonfeed the user, Android devices are kind of a middle ground, given the right hardware and community.
#1 I am not making an argument. #2 If I was it has not changed.

When the N900 came out it was a developers phone, and it was top of the line in terms of hardware - top display resolution, front facing camera, competitive processor, excellent rear camera, Fennec (we were promised Flash 10.1), it was and still is an AMAZING device.

But I am all about practically. If I have a task I want to get done, I want to get it done in the quickest, most efficient way possible. When the N900 was released that option was given to me. I could go to https://facebook.com and easily navigate it. Now with the Timeline and all that nonsense, I need an app. Same with online banking, the list can go on and on.

The N900 just is not an efficent device anymore, not only by hardware specs but by Maemo 5's lack of features - I don't even have spelchek!!! For me personally that is a huge deal, I am a horrible speller.

For all of you guys talking about, "Well just boot into NITDroid!" - WHAT IF I GET A PHONE CALL??? NITDroid has been in development by some very smart and very amazing people and I still can't answer a call using it on my N900 - hence it is pretty worthless to me.

I really know next to nothing about iOS, I had the first gen iPhone for 4 days and returned it all those years ago, I asked to play with my buddies iPhone 4S and it was much more efficient than the N900, in nearly every way.

It does suck that I cannot run SSHd, X11VNC, etc. but you gotta weigh the pros and cons - from what I know iOS gives you more possibilities. It is very simple and mindless, however if it gets the job done then what's the problem?

And come on people - don't give me this nonsense about a keyboard, I am really ticked off that psychical QWERTY keyboards are going the way of the dinosaur, I really am. However - it is a PITA to connect the N900 to an external keyboard and the iPhone has this: http://youtu.be/GZPa8MBFKMA

What I was really hoping to come of this thread would be some kind of realism. "Yes, for many the N900 is not as useful anymore and there are better options; here they are;" But instead people are suggesting a still born OS (MeeGo), a dead OS (Maemo) and then making outrageous claims that are blatantly not true (neither one of those OSs are open, if you want to disagree with me on that claim show me the source code for the phone application).

I have always been an Apple ANTI-fan boy and a Nokia fan boy. But I am also a realist and it is quite obvious that Apple is offering a far superior product than Nokia. That cannot be argued with. Especially if you live in North America.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nuuskis View Post
I find it pretty pathetic that people can't spell their NATIVE language. Oh, unless the errors occurred from using that crappy on-board keyboard. English is not my native language and I don't find anything wrong with it when it comes to speling (sarcasm alert). Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong. Einstein was a horrible speller. Some people excel at certain things, I am a very poor speller.

A side note and a funny story: When I asked to see my friends iPhone 4S to play around with it I asked him, "I know iOS has multitasking now... how do you get to the screen to see all the running applications?" He replied, "Well, it's not like your phone - your phone is like a mini computer - there is no screen where it shows all the open applications."

It was quite discouraging, however there is a VERY GOOD possibility that iOS 6 will have that. There is NO POSSIBILITY that MeeGo will ever receive an update of that magnitude.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
#1 I am not making an argument. #2 If I was it has not changed.

When the N900 came out it was a developers phone, and it was top of the line in terms of hardware - top display resolution, front facing camera, competitive processor, excellent rear camera, Fennec (we were promised Flash 10.1), it was and still is an AMAZING device.

But I am all about practically. If I have a task I want to get done, I want to get it done in the quickest, most efficient way possible. When the N900 was released that option was given to me. I could go to https://facebook.com and easily navigate it. Now with the Timeline and all that nonsense, I need an app. Same with online banking, the list can go on and on.

The N900 just is not an efficent device anymore, not only by hardware specs but by Maemo 5's lack of features - I don't even have spelchek!!! For me personally that is a huge deal, I am a horrible speller.

For all of you guys talking about, "Well just boot into NITDroid!" - WHAT IF I GET A PHONE CALL??? NITDroid has been in development by some very smart and very amazing people and I still can't answer a call using it on my N900 - hence it is pretty worthless to me.

I really know next to nothing about iOS, I had the first gen iPhone for 4 days and returned it all those years ago, I asked to play with my buddies iPhone 4S and it was much more efficient than the N900, in nearly every way.

It does suck that I cannot run SSHd, X11VNC, etc. but you gotta weigh the pros and cons - from what I know iOS gives you more possibilities. It is very simple and mindless, however if it gets the job done then what's the problem?

And come on people - don't give me this nonsense about a keyboard, I am really ticked off that psychical QWERTY keyboards are going the way of the dinosaur, I really am. However - it is a PITA to connect the N900 to an external keyboard and the iPhone has this: http://youtu.be/GZPa8MBFKMA

What I was really hoping to come of this thread would be some kind of realism. "Yes, for many the N900 is not as useful anymore and there are better options; here they are;" But instead people are suggesting a still born OS (MeeGo), a dead OS (Maemo) and then making outrageous claims that are blatantly not true (neither one of those OSs are open, if you want to disagree with me on that claim show me the source code for the phone application).

I have always been an Apple ANTI-fan boy and a Nokia fan boy. But I am also a realist and it is quite obvious that Apple is offering a far superior product than Nokia. That cannot be argued with. Especially if you live in North America.
Superiority of iPhone CAN be argued. For example, the iPhone warranty: winters where I live are cold. This, regarding to Apple, voids your warranty. And they do not even tell this until it's broken.

At least Nokia brings knowledge of this to the people living in NA.

I understand that different users have different needs from their phones. In my case, the N900 satisfies all of my needs better than any other phone in the market. There are some unique stuff that only can be done with N900, that cannot be argued. Then there is these mainstream apps that just make life a little easier than using N900 to complete these tasks. I don't use any of these apps.

IMHO, the user interface in Maemo is better and more efficient to use than Android, but again this is just an opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nuuskis For This Useful Post:
You're wrong. Einstein was a horrible speller. Some people excel at certain things, I am a very poor speller.

A side note and a funny story: When I asked to see my friends iPhone 4S to play around with it I asked him, "I know iOS has multitasking now... how do you get to the screen to see all the running applications?" He replied, "Well, it's not like your phone - your phone is like a mini computer - there is no screen where it shows all the open applications."

It was quite discouraging, however there is a VERY GOOD possibility that iOS 6 will have that. There is NO POSSIBILITY that MeeGo will ever receive an update of that magnitude.
So you are stating here that there is something wrong in my spelling then?

Since you cannot correct opinions, your argument is invalid.