Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
OK, I hold my hands up, As I have been guilty of this as well, but it's time to call an end to it now and be positive
Yes, I get app envy and want more sites to support maemo/meego, with my two bugbears being zinio reader and ovi maps..

The N900 is a great phone and exciting things are happening with a lively community to support it

PR 1.3 fixed alot of bugs - an update nearly 1yr after release - that's not bad - continued support from the manufacturer..

NITDroid - OK, it's not ready, and until full call support and camera/gps working, I won't touch it, but guys, this is pretty cool, and when finished will rock..

Meego - same, not quite ready, but it's getting there, and it will appear for the n900 - yet again, really cool and will breathe new life into the phone

Lots of improved camera apps, and the repos have shed loads of apps, games,utilities, seriously, go to the app manager and select all and browse away, the dev's on this site have done a great job with supplying the apps that we have..

All the custom kernels for overclocking - wow..

Add to that the port of ubuntu, and things get really impressive, stick a big enough memory card in, and in theory, you can choose to boot maemo, meego, nitdroid or ubuntu, how many phones can you do that on?

Sure, it's not perfect, but what phone is? Go look at the android forums and the debate over task switching and killing processes to see what I mean.
Plus, look around you, all the Android phone adverts, have you noticed something - they all look the same! Who wants the same phone as everyone else - not me!
The point is that the n900 gives you possibilities far beyond any other phone. My contract is up in Dec, and after initially looking at the streak, Im staying with my n900 as there really isn't any other phone that can give me the same functionality as the n900 can, so Im sitting tight and will see what happens.

So lets stop trolling Nokia and the N900 and be happy with what we have, these forums have changed to endless posts moaning about Nokia and N900, to the point that I only check in once a week now as there isn't the nice vibe that there used to be. The n900 hasn't stopped being a great phone and can still hold its own against the desire HD or the Galaxy...

Rant over

:-)

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to edgedemon For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
All the custom kernels for overclocking - wow..

Add to that the port of ubuntu, and things get really impressive, stick a big enough memory card in, and in theory, you can choose to boot maemo, meego, nitdroid or ubuntu, how many phones can you do that on?

Im staying with my n900 as there really isn't any other phone that can give me the same functionality as the n900 can, so Im sitting tight and will see what happens.
Linux is Linux, and for an open mobile computer to be able to run a small handful of Linux distros, isn't all that impressing, not really. The moment we get Symbian running, I will be impressed (and this may happen). But I agree, it is damned cool, and no other mobile device can do it.

And yes, there are no better device out there right no. The E7 looks extremely cool - but it has en E instead of a N, kind of drags it down a bit.

Long live the N900 - at least until N9

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Linux is Linux, and for an open mobile computer to be able to run a small handful of Linux distros, isn't all that impressing, not really.
Long live the N900 - at least until N9
Impressive when compared to other phones on the market, which IS what he was doing.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ New Hampshire, US
Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
I agree. How many phones can run Openoffice? Firefox? How many can run desktop Java apps? With the N900 you have almost everything that desktop Debian and Ubuntu have. How many phones can say that?

On which other phones can you sit down and write a quick Python app to evaluate some data you've collected in the field? Which ones can run a full-power editor like Emacs or Jedit, and then compile and run the code right on the device?

I use my N900 to manage servers, to keep in touch when I'm on travel, sometimes to write code or documents, browse the web from my back porch, and to play music and videos at the gym and on airplanes. And it gets me to the hotel when I get to where I'm going.

The other guys may have a "cool factor", but for me the N900 is a sort of Swiss Army Knife device that does all kinds of things that used to require multiple gadgets. I'm very pleased with it.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bobh For This Useful Post:
screen is to small

get it

hey you

you sure

do you get it

screen IS TO SMALL

WHAT DOES THE NOKIA ENGINEER NOT GET

HEY YOU

THE SCREEN IS TO SMALL

THE REST IS FINE

THE PEOPLE WANT A BIG SCREEN

NOT A LITTLE HOBBITY BOBBITY ONE

BUT A 4 INCH SCREEN

MINIMUM

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yukop4 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Can we phone our friends on it?

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Nah, seriously. It could be worse. You could be stuck with an N97 like I am. Why the hell would anyone want to run Symbian on the N900? LOL!

Originally Posted by yukop4 View Post
screen is to small

get it

hey you

you sure

do you get it

screen IS TO SMALL

WHAT DOES THE NOKIA ENGINEER NOT GET

HEY YOU

THE SCREEN IS TO SMALL

THE REST IS FINE

THE PEOPLE WANT A BIG SCREEN

NOT A LITTLE HOBBITY BOBBITY ONE

BUT A 4 INCH SCREEN

MINIMUM
I think the screen size perfectly allright as it can fit into my jeans perfectly and I can hold onto it easily while talking on the phone ..
I wouldn't like to have a bigger screen and sprain my wrist or so while talking or the phone or worst use two hands to hold it instead for the same scenario :P

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PathFinder@9GS For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PathFinder@9GS View Post
I think the screen size perfectly allright as it can fit into my jeans perfectly and I can hold onto it easily while talking on the phone ..
I wouldn't like to have a bigger screen and sprain my wrist or so while talking or the phone or worst use two hands to hold it instead for the same scenario :P
hold the galaxy or iphone

they are fine and easily fit in the pocket

they also weigh +_ the same as the n900

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Personally, Galaxy and iPhone 4 look ugly to me. Precisely because they look so f'ing flat.

You want to get something, y(I-don't-have-enough-respect-for-you-to-scroll-up-to-look-at-how-your-name-spelled)?

YOU. DON'T. NEED. A. SCREEN. A. FEW. MILLIMETERS. WIDER.

Get it yet? You sure? I wrote it in caps and everything...

If you survived five years ago on the phones with smaller screens than the N900's now, you'll survive with this. If a bigger screen is that important to you, go buy something with a bigger screen. If it isn't important enough to stop you from wanting the N900, then it's not important enough to ***** about.

As for the positive thinkers of the forum - this is why you don't let the ****-chucking apes drive you away. Ignore them - I don't even look at a thread nowadays if the title suggests anti-Nokia-bs will abound. But I read and post where it matters. But if you leave, then you leave everyone else with a higher proportion of *****ic twats to valuable contributers. And they get to feel like their ******** is more valid than it is because more people agree with them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: