Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
My N9 does lag and stutter occasionally, but at least I can make use of it. It's a work horse, not a shiny catwalk model that can do nothing except for looking good.

No multitasking. C'mon, you cannot seriously call WP a smartphone OS...
Even Android can emulate multitasking better than WP does.
No, WP7 doesn't do multitasking at all. It's serial tasking - same as iOS. Android's attempt is a mixture - moreso on Ice Cream Sandwich than before - but as long as I can talk on the phone and check my e-mails, surf the web or take a note on my phone, that's a good start to me.

Doing so without any lag, even better.

True multitasking is good for a lot of things, but if it means I can't do what I purchased the phone for (talking to people) and the lag intercepts my user experience with lag or difficulties, it serves me no use whatsoever.

N9 does well. Very well in that aspect. The N900 wasn't quite there because it would sometimes lag so much when a call was coming in that you'd miss the call (rotate from portrait to landscape was a killer sometimes) or you'd hit the same button multiple times in your rush (or anger) to get to the phone.

But let's just say some people don't even multitask on their computers - shock, horror... I know. But there are different kinds of users and if things are not across the board an even experience, then you do the next best thing - serial tasking. I don't agree with this, but as a mobile developer, I can see how that's your first compromise.

Multitasking... I need it. WP7 doesn't have it. iOS doesn't have it. Android gets close enough for me to complain less. Harmattan has it, but I don't find myself using it too much because of a lack of apps that I'd use beyond the aforementioned things I do.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
point taken, but you do realize that sometimes not everybody wants to tweak things on the ohone, rather just have it work out of the box?

I can say by my own experience, I loved tweaking and the customizations options, but now with lesser time I love to have mydevices just work.

Theres really two sides to every coin. Believe me.
I've reached the same point as you regarding my phones. More out of the box, less tweaking if only very light.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
lol yeah, Lumiaman has new friends, my n9 never lagging or stuttering, u just doesnt know how to handle linux machine, ur just like ur name, m$ *****
I have an n9 and I'm an n9 fanboy and mine lags and stutters . Guess I don't know how to handle it either haha. I just use drop cache throughout the day.

My N9 does lag and stutter occasionally, but at least I can make use of it. It's a work horse, not a shiny catwalk model that can do nothing except for looking good.

No multitasking. C'mon, you cannot seriously call WP a smartphone OS...
Even Android can emulate multitasking better than WP does.
Hey Pycage, knowing you a long time, do you really believe that WP7 isnt even worth calling a smartphone os just because it doesnt do true multi tasking. By thats standard ios is not it eitger. Nor is Android.

Now lets leave indv. Features aside. Does a phhone really need multitasking all the time? No. Hence the absolte neecd for a multitasking os is not that high apriority on a phone. Rather it should do each task well suited to its form factor and use case. So when making acall I want acall to be unhindered by multi tasks which make a call stutter on the N900.

So lets be objective sometimes andnot be blinded by our love for our favourite Maemo os.

In fact at one time I was dead against keyboardless
Smartphones. Now, not so much anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
why exactly are we comparing windows with meego with maemo...they're all great and everyone has their own preference as to what works for them...I love maemo...great experience, and def a lot of fun..but it's just not cutting it for me anymore..I need a phone that works, fast and easily and winOS did the trick....Hey, if you like to tweak, and you wanna stick with maemo or meego, then go ahead, no one's telling you not to. I think it's pretty neat, the whole developing your own apps and making the phone work the way you want to, but I just don't have the time or skill for all this. I want things to be done and ready for me right away. And basically wanted a stable OS that's supported.

This thread wasn't meant to force windows upon anyone, just wanted to thank people for their contributions to Maemo, esp cssu team...totally changed maemo and was one of the major reasons I stuck with my N900 for another year

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nokiaqueen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Hey Pycage, knowing you a long time, do you really believe that WP7 isnt even worth calling a smartphone os just because it doesnt do true multi tasking. By thats standard ios is not it eitger. Nor is Android.
I used to have an Android phone and thanks to developer.nokia.com, I have a Lumia 800. On both the lack of multitasking drives me crazy. This is a deal-breaker for me, as I'm feeling I'm not in control of what I'm doing on the phone. That gives me a very bad user experience.

If you come from a dumb phone, an iPhone, or an Android phone, WP is surely a great experience, because you can't know it better.
But if you're coming from Maemo, it's IMHO a huge step backwards.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I used to have an Android phone and thanks to developer.nokia.com, I have a Lumia 800. On both the lack of multitasking drives me crazy. This is a deal-breaker for me, as I'm feeling I'm not in control of what I'm doing on the phone. That gives me a very bad user experience.

If you come from a dumb phone, an iPhone, or an Android phone, WP is surely a great experience, because you can't know it better.
But if you're coming from Maemo, it's IMHO a huge step backwards.
I agree. I remember when I first got an N900 and was blown away by multitasking. Ever since then, I've been severely disappointed with iOS and Android's multitasking. They never felt like actual multitasking. Only time it "worked" for me theoretically was when I was in a call and had to look up something in an app, or put someone on speaker and texted someone else. In that sense, it works great (because my N9 lags and stutters like no other). Using iOS and Android after N900 always left me praising the N900 for its multitasking and I'm glad to have an N9 simply because of its multitasking (lag or not haha).

The lag does bother me here and there when I need something in a hurry, but I still enjoy the interface. But you are right, it is definitely a huge step backward. No one needs to open 10 apps and have them running gung-ho in the background, but maybe 3-4 should be manageable at least (and maemo and meego do this just fine whether you're ok with the lag or not).

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
lag or not, maemo with better support gonna eat wp for desert,

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Talking about the sun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK0DC...9M0WwoRLp5D9M=

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following User Says Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Cool commercial. NOKIA knows how to make good commercials.