Active Topics

http://m.gizmodo.com/5638995/nokia-i...alds-of-phones

I know Gizmodo and Engadget are frowned on here (to mainstream for what we consider to be a geek site). But this is a very good article (and if McDonalds have poor customer services then I agree completely).

I am shocked to hear that Nokia's profits dropped from $9bn to $300m in just two years. That is the most shocking profit drop I have ever heard and probably one of the greatest drops in history for any company. Shows how much trouble Nokia is in despite what people may think here. Yes they sell a billion phones but profits are in the high end where Nokia has nothing for now.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Nokia World September 2010: the one where they present Symbian and sack their directors

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Why do you care about the company's profits? How does that affect your phone's operation? Gizmodo is all Nokia hate all the time. I

don't get how excited consumers can get when Apple make tons of money by selling them overpriced phones.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Let the god of walls of text start thy smithing!

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I am shocked to hear that Nokia's profits dropped from $9bn to $300m in just two years. That is the most shocking profit drop I have ever heard and probably one of the greatest drops in history for any company. Shows how much trouble Nokia is in despite what people may think here. Yes they sell a billion phones but profits are in the high end where Nokia has nothing for now.
Hmmm. I do not know correct terms for bookkeeping, but maybe we should look what kind of depreciations Nokia has made (e.g. Navteq and how it affected). Trying to just say that we need more numbers than just profit.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1

Page 9

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
This is why Nokia is the EXACT OPPOSITE OF McDONALDS

Nokia named as "world's most sustainable technology company"

Nokia has been named as the world's most sustainable technology company according to the 2009/10 edition of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Already rated for several years as the leader within the Europe and Communications categories, this year Nokia was also chosen as "World Technology Supersector Leader", making it number one across the entire global technology sector. See below for extracts from the press release.

"Nokia has been integrating environmental and sustainable activities into the way it does business for more than a decade and the company considers the environment in ALL of the devices it makes by reducing environmental impacts in packaging, energy consumption, materials and manufacturing processes, and recyclability.

Nokia works with a number of public sector bodies, NGOs and voluntary groups to harness the power of mobile technology to address environmental, social or economic issues. Some of its most recent projects include developing dedicated mobile software that is being used by health workers to help monitor and fight the outbreak of disease in Brazil, and using mobile devices and connections to delivers high quality educational materials to children in remote or unprivileged areas in Brazil, the Philippines, and South Africa.

As part of its climate change strategy, Nokia is constantly working on reducing energy consumption and increasing efficiency across its business. Some of its actions include reducing travel, investing in research and development of new technologies using renewable energy resources, and plans to increase the usage of green electricity which already accounts for 25% of all energy the company consumes."

More information on Nokia's sustainable practices can be found at http://www.nokia.com/environment and http://www.nokia.com/corporate-responsibility

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
LOL, hahahahhaa, LOL

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Itīs in a way sad & funny when people realize that to be able to even vaguely analyze you need ~10 year of accounting data and then at least some kind of understanding on how to measure. I think that most of blogs currently analyze on level that is same as what construction workers (no offense) could talk in their lunch breaks after seeing FOX news.

Suddenly in ~2 years we have hundreds of experts (mainly seems to be USA blogs) telling us how some corporations are doing lousy and what they should do. Same time I try to understand some of my friends who are undergraduate industrial management students. They do as school work quite big analyzes on different companies. I just have to say that itīs quite amount of work to really rip stuff out and analyze big corporation sector by sector. I do not have enough time nor education to do it as it should be done to write blog and sometimes I admit that I have problems to really understand all the different financial analyze methods and how companies that look in terms of profit not good are actually doing damn good job :|

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Well! When McDonald's comes out with a burger as nice as the N900, I might eat there again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descalzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
This is why Nokia is the EXACT OPPOSITE OF McDONALDS
Wait a minute, I would think that Nokia's sustainability would make it MORE like McDonald's, which has demonstrated that it has the most sustainable business model for fast food.

What am I missing?

Is red font supposed to mean sarcasm?

Tags
troll alert, wifries, world hunger