Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I'm no expert on photography, but I'd think that a compressed format like jpeg would reduce the file size at any rate?
Silly me, forgot to save as .jpeg was still working with psd

Image down to 218k much more reasonable!

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
Hi,

Should there be some easy help section? I just installed Zephyr (comes with Maemo SDK) first time and went to N900wallpapers site with Zephyr and I could not figure out how to save the image as a wallpaper (and yes - i'm quite new Maemo user - but so are many others (when the N900's hit the streets ))

Some more info:
* Used default browser in Zephyr and went to n900wallpapers.com
* I picked up one 4 image pack wallpaper
* Then I clicked the first image in the set (icons)
* and browser loaded the image to a new browser window
* Then I kind of get lost - since I tried to find 'right mouse' menu - but maemo doesn't seem to have one.
* After couple of tries I found that when I click the link info upper part of screen between clock and X mark) I get new menu. And I thought that this must be the right place. But no. There are 'save page as' but that doesn't seem to be the place. And options - no. Downloads no.
* So I'm still a little bit confused and haven't been able to save the image as a wallpaper. And as a average user I would have give up already.

And I also assume (or would like to have a feature) that I can do it easily for these packs? so that I can save all 4 pictures at once? (if I need to make those manually one by one - that would be good to mention somewhere - and how to define which wall this picture is going - that one I'm in currently?).

So I think that some easy how to install the wallpaper section would be good (with couple of screenshots).

And I have used web since 93 and I'm a java coder, so I think I know at least basics about internet and computers

Of course Zephyr is used with mouse so this might be easier and more intuitive in actual device.

Or maybe I just couldn't find the help page on the site?

"Save page as" (->image) should work once you've opened the image only in a new window no? (don't have a device/sdk, just firefox )

images have to be saved one at a time, no packs available. Only some gaming wallpapers have a one-clik install possibility via application manager.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
Hi,

Story goes on...

Ok, now I figured out where to change the wallpaper:
* When in desktop - push couple of seconds you get the 'options' or 'edit' icon and after that 'Desktop menu' and there you have 'Change background'. Yeah.
* But. When clicking 'Change background'. You see 2 default background images, but not the saved one (saved from website).
* Then you need to Add your saved background image from web and after that you can choose it.

So it seems that I need to save every image from site and then add them one by one to the 'Change background' and then select each desktop one by one and choose correct background image.

Is this really this complicated? Or am I doing something wrong?

I kind of thought that this is just one click from site and it downloads the 3200x480 picture and I choose save as wallpaper and that's it (well... might be impossible/not feasible task for browser to know where to save and what to do).

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hello!

Changing backgrounds on the N900 really is that complicated.

However. All is not lost!

I am working on a new N900wallpapers site, which will hopefully have easier downloading. Additionally, I have almost completed Prismic Wallpaper Manager, which I hope will provide a user friendly solution to everyone's background changing needs.

In short: stay tuned, I'm working on it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
You can also change wallpapers from the Images application itself: just go to the image you would want to use for the Home screen you are currently one, and choose the command to "set to wallpaper" from the view menu. Much handier way, imho.

Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
...Changing backgrounds on the N900 really is that complicated....However. All is not lost!... I am working on a new N900wallpapers site...In short: stay tuned, I'm working on it
That is great news. I imagine for many users, including me, the process of changing four background in so many steps is no fun, so being able to download a 4-pack image set that would make it a one-step "change background" process. Looking forward.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
I think you can make it in to a set yourself if you have photoshop (or similar program)
Not sure if this is a very complicated method aswell but here goes...

make one combined picture from the 4 wallpapers you have downloaded (in right order ofc)... then "devide slice" that combined one into 4 pieces and "save for web"

actually follow directions of this guide (about 2:00 min. in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6DO...eature=channel

The "text"file he edits to save as .anytitle.desktop is the "text"file created when saving to web. That file should make it possible to change background from an image set... instead of individually... Hope this makes it easier for you instead of complicating things further... please write if this was helpfull or if I should delete/edit this post

Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
Thanks for reminding me about that "how to." I would rather not spend the time creating the Maemo image set and devide-slicing on Photoshop. Much better to download an image set straight from the net and we're good to go. Worth the wait, IMO.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
he he that's quite understandable

@code177 if you need a hand making image sets of the allready existing 4 piece wallpapers on the n900wallpapers.com site just ask... I'll be happy to help out :-)

Tags
backgrounds, maemo 5, masturbatory fantasy pics, n900, themes, wallpapers