Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Oh I know, I blame mostly the bizarre decision to stick w/MeeGo branding, even after they'd ditched the strategy.
They went to great lengths to secure it from the LF....
When they could've immediately subverted MeeGo, & referred only to Harmattan, Maemo, or even just Nokia N9.*
It wasn't as though MeeGo was a household name by Feb 2011...
They hadn't done a great deal of marketing by that point for the handset side of things.
It's almost like they wanted to attract the "MeeGo is dead" ridicule/mantra from the blogosphere.

*granted they did do this to some extent
Maybe it was the deal people say they had with intel that made them release the N9 in the first place that required the OS to be refered as Meego.

Originally Posted by mahead View Post
Afaik Ollila wanted to make Vanjoki as a new boss after Kallasvuo. That didn't happen because (north american) investors insisted new director must come outside of Finland, otherwise Ollila will be replaced as soon as possible. The rest is history. How different things could be if Vanjoki would be there leading Nokia...
I didn't know that. But I was refering to the Finnish governement that did nothing to stop the deal with MS. They seem to go out of their way to ask reasurances from Greece that they will get their money back even though everyone knows they wont get back anything but when it comes to the 30% of their tax revenue they just stood there. The legal reasons were there just take a Look at the B&N defense against MS.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
Maybe it was the deal people say they had with intel that made them release the N9 in the first place that required the OS to be refered as Meego..

Yeah the blogosphere has often speculated about such a deal...
Never seen any iron-clad evidence that such an obligation existed & was enforceable.
I reckon they kept going mainly because they'd invested far too much time/resources.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Is it dead?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Is it dead?
Meego purely as a name (I mean literally the string meego) is dead, but not to worry I would say

The source is open, so in practice the work done on the open dimension can't get lost. So the effort put in by nokia and intel in meego is all good for open source/linux point of view. Samsung and intel are already continuing the work in tizen, and they have some kind of more open agreements enforced by the linux foundation there, so I would be surprised if we wouldn't see linux on more and more of devices in the future. Also the tizen probably isn't a threath for nokia, since they should know the ins and outs of the system pretty well, so I would see it as samsung chipping also in for the platform, which can be used by everybody.

or something in the lines of that

Last edited by Aparaatti; 2012-03-10 at 07:54.

Originally Posted by Aparaatti View Post
Meego purely as a name (I mean literally the string meego) is dead, but not to worry I would say

The source is open, so in practice the work done on the open dimension can't get lost. So the effort put in by nokia and intel in meego is all good for open source/linux point of view. Samsung and intel are already continuing the work in tizen, and they have some kind of more open agreements enforced by the linux foundation there, so I would be surprised if we wouldn't see linux on more and more of devices in the future. Also the tizen probably isn't a threath for nokia, since they should know the ins and outs of the system pretty well, so I would see it as samsung chipping also in for the platform, which can be used by everybody.

or something in the lines of that
The biggest problem I see in the moment is fraction. Even if we get Tizen, then there still is Harmattan, Maemo (for those of us still using the n900), Ubntu Mobile and Mozilla's System. What I would love to see would be a Nokia device running open webOS, since HP is doing a good work in the moment and while the system itself (webOS) still has its flaws, a Nokia device with the new release would be great.
Don't get me wrong, the community is doing a great work, inventing and developing things, but it's gonna be hard to be one community, if we have Maemo, MeeGo, Mer, Nemo etc etc, since all are slightly different...

My two cents,
blck

P.S. But then again, WP7 looks like a great system to me and even if I would have a more open OS (like open webOS could be), I doubt that HP has the ressourcesto make it succesful, whereas Microsoft has - in the end: everything that's not iOS or Android is more than welcome...

Is it dead?
Umm, why repeat that...
You were reading the thread earlier on & saw all explanations.
You even commented at one point.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-10 at 08:35.

Originally Posted by blck View Post
Don't get me wrong, the community is doing a great work, inventing and developing things, but it's gonna be hard to be one community, if we have Maemo, MeeGo, Mer, Nemo etc etc, since all are slightly different...
Maemo5x is winding down sadly (but she's a nimble old fox, so she may creep onwards a bit longer)
Maemo6x* will soon too, given enough time w/no new devices (but it's early days, the best are still ahead of her 'touch-wood').
WebOS = no thanks.
MeeGo = MeR+Nemo/Plasma/Cordia/Place-your-UX-layer-here
Tizen = maybe (Qt may have a significant role thanks to SteelRat, but it's not the EotW if it doesn't)

In many ways WebOS + Tizen + Mozilla would be a nice fit, their core tech/libraries are quite similar.
Then again, sometimes bringing these things together can be worse than they are positive!

*AKA MeeGo-Harmattan

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-10 at 09:05. Reason: typo

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Umm, why repeat that...
You were reading the thread earlier on & saw all explanations.
You even commented at one point.
Still, I don't know, no answers yet. No conclusive evidence. I might have to ask again later.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
MeeGo is in fact dead. Harmattan is alive (still, sort of)

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Still, I don't know, no answers yet. No conclusive evidence. I might have to ask again later.

jk

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-10 at 09:04. Reason: editing is fun

Tags
buysomethinelse, it's undead, maemo's dead, meego's dead, r-d-f, tizen lives, winding down