Notices

I just got my first N900 last night and this morning set up Modest using MfE. I've got a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find answers to just yet.

1. When I reply to an email the email body as well as the "To" field are both a dark brown background with black text. Very hard to read. Is there someway to change this?

2. Also when I reply to an email the cursor starts on the same line as the headers from the original email, so I have to press enter a couple of times to get some space, and then arrow back up to start typing. Shouldn't that space be added by default like in every other mail client I've ever used?

3. I can put a widget on the desktop for new mail, but when I click on it it doesn't take me to the message, it takes me to a list of folders, and then I have to click on the Inbox and then click on the message. In N800 it would take me right to the message.

4. So I read in the Wiki that there is no search functionality (boo!) but is there no way to sort either?

I kind of feel like I might have overlooked a menu somewhere that would give the more advanced options?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
There is search functionality. Just start typing in a list. And it's better than Harmattan's which filters only the last few mails. I have been able to find years old mails with modest. Downside, is that I think you are limited to subject search but I am not sure.

As for the text fields, try using another theme. Mine are white with black text.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Thanks, switching to another theme helps with the background (although now I can't see some options in other parts of the system. Guess I'll need to download some alternative themes that have good visibility throughout)

Thanks for the start typing tip, something I would have never thought to try. Is this a new feature? Seems like the Wiki should be updated since it specifically says searching is not supported.

Is there and chance of more advanced search options like searching body of email, or searching by sender, etc...

Any tips on #2 and #3?

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
AFAIK all but message body is a searched, i.e. sender, recipient, subject, CC list, etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
AFAIK all but message body is a searched, i.e. sender, recipient, subject, CC list, etc.
That's good to know, but I was wondering if there was a way to limit it to only search by sender (in case sorting is not supported)? For instance, my boss will be CCd on just about every email I receive, but he'll only send me a few mails. I'd like to be able to find just those mails.

Is this the relevant wiki page?

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Email_Opt..._e-mail_client

Shall I remove the words "on client"?

Try searching "From: myboss@myjob.com"

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Is this the relevant wiki page?

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Email_Opt..._e-mail_client

Shall I remove the words "on client"?
Yes, that's the wiki page I was looking at, and yes I'd suggest removing the words "on client." (I'm not sure if that is the relevant place to put this, but it would be nice to have something in the Wiki that mentions how one would initiate a search, as I don't think that is particularly intuitive - I might have searched more before asking though, but from the wiki I just thought it wasn't possible)

Try searching "From: myboss@myjob.com"
Thanks for the suggestion, but this doesn't seem to work, searching for "from" returns zero results.

It was just a longshot (maybe it searched in the mail headers as text instead of the field values) as I don't have my N900 with me. Good to know though.

So any idea on how to go directly to a new email message? I have the desktop widget, and when a new message comes in I first click on the widget, then click on my MfE account, then click on the Inbox, and finally click on the new message. On Modest in Diablo I get a list of messages that pops up on the homescreen, and clicking on any one of them opens up that message directly.

I don't use mfe but try keeping your read count zero. When there are no unread messages it takes you directly to the messsageAFAIK.