I too find the N9 camera mediocre. In some ways the N900 is better (not flash photos, of course).
Has anyone gotten the macro setting to focus? I have had no success. I don't think it works at all.

Yes, the macro focuses for me (tap once to move the focusing reticle, then tap and hold shutter icon to focus).

The only time I lose autofocus is when battery saving mode kicks in. I think it is intentional.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to impact For This Useful Post:
Thanks impact! Don't have to hold it in auto mode, so that was news to me.

The optics on the N9 are extremely disappointing. I never once expected performance similar to the N8 but I did expect something similar to my old N95 (just a higher resolution).

Pictures (overall) are flooded with light. This is indicative of a sensor that is just too small with too many photo sensors packed too tightly together (thus the flooding effect of light).

The other issue is video is horrible. It is full of noise. I also tried playing video on the N9 which I captured with the N8. The N9 can not play it. I can only assume the N8 is using a higher profile in its recordings that the N9 can't decode.

That being said I can live with the N9. I just don't use my N9 for photos or video. When I go out and I know I will be taking pictures I take my N8 instead. It's a shame that the optics seem so poor on the N9. I am fairly certain that my old N95 can take better pictures.

The Following User Says Thank You to Demati For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
This is false, coming from the N8, I agree it's not the N8 by any means, but as Damian Dinning says, the whole set up is 70% smaller, once you take that into effect, you realize quickly, that the camera is not that bad at all...

Video's aren't bad at all either, I've taken video's in clubs and I've taken video's during the day, they turn out pretty damn good for something that's 30% the size of the N8's camera module...
Attached Images

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Last edited by Arie; 2012-01-19 at 13:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
This is false, coming from the N8, I agree it's not the N8 by any means, but as Damian Dinning says, the whole set up is 70% smaller, once you take that into effect, you realize quickly, that the camera is not that bad at all...
You are entitled to your opinion but my experience is based on fact (i.e. something that is not false).

Fact: Video on my N9 does not look anywhere near as good as my N8.
Fact: Video shot on a N900 recording 720p is less noisy than video shot on the N9.
Opinion: IMO the N9's imaging capabilities are abysmal when compared to devices made within the last few years.
Fact: No amount of software or configuration can make up for the faults in the hardware imaging sensor. The CMOS sensor is too small with too many photo sensors packed together too tightly. This leads to washed out images and noise when recording video.

That all being said I still love my N9. I just don't rely on it for any video/imaging purposes.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Demati View Post
You are entitled to your opinion but my experience is based on fact (i.e. something that is not false).

Fact: Video on my N9 does not look anywhere near as good as my N8.
Fact: Video shot on a N900 recording 720p is less noisy than video shot on the N9.
Opinion: IMO the N9's imaging capabilities are abysmal when compared to devices made within the last few years.
Fact: No amount of software or configuration can make up for the faults in the hardware imaging sensor. The CMOS sensor is too small with too many photo sensors packed together too tightly. This leads to washed out images and noise when recording video.

That all being said I still love my N9. I just don't rely on it for any video/imaging purposes.
This is exactly what he said.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
I saw a big improment from PR 1.0 to PR 1.1 ... and I am expecting to see a big improvement again by PR 1.2 ... honestly, I think that we will be surprised what they can get out from camera of N9 ... I think that N9 camera software is not matured yet, not optimized (N8 has a matured software) ...

Last edited by jaripi; 2012-01-19 at 14:56.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rotterdam, port to Europe !
Demati
"Fact: Video on my N9 does not look anywhere near as good as my N8."
That is not a fact but an opinion, subjective by nature

I read the article and from my point of view the N9 does not do bad at all !
It is in the middle with the vid quality lower and some good points for stills.
Like:
The Nokia N9 impresses with spot-on exposure and superior dynamic range – it’s the best of the bunch in this respect.
Anyway if you want high quality pics, take your camera* (I am still quite happy with my Fujipix S7000, but take my Minolta and Zorkin 4).
The footprint of the N9 is small, the design beautiful and for snapshots & Youtube vids it is sufficient.

I don't know about others but I use the camera function on my smartphone in case of a traffic accident or to dispute a parking ticket
When I see something remarkable or something I want to remember. Or as I said a snapshot, say in the airport when GF arrives, my son being an idiot etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eerde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
It's unfair to compare N9 with N8's shooting abilities... we all know that the camera of N8 was industry leading.

It is equally unfair to compare cell-cams with std digicams -- they r meant to be that way -- cell-cams for 'insta-shots', while digicams for a better picture(!)... then again, do we compare digicams to DSLRs?

That said, I come from iPhone4 & find my N9 quite good in taking pics & vids... under many situations - better than my iPhone4 [the 4S is a different ballgame].

It has been long since I carried another camera in the pocket - my iPhones [3GS earlier & later 4] had been my main shooting devices - and let me state, "my N9 hasn't failed; am now using this one as a std shooter - and it's doing perfectly alright".

And yes, it shoots damn good on my son's hockey sessions!!!

Qorax

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post: