Quick general question from a borderline ignoramus, (forgive me if addressed already - there's 40 pages, and I didn't see the answer in op...) -

Seems like flatpak is sort of a framework that applications can be built in and run from, so mainly a dev thing, and not so much an end-user thing, but I just wondered if there are currently any applications, (or a repo or something), built and available to end-users at this time, that anyone who installs the support packages can use...

Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Flatpak is a way of distributing applications to end-users. General search online should bring up some decent explanation. As for apps/repos, see Github repository of the project with the docs in it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Apr 2020 @ Spain
Hi @rinigus! Will we have flatpak for sailfish 4?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carmenfdezb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by carmenfdezb View Post
Hi @rinigus! Will we have flatpak for sailfish 4?
I hope so. It would need OBS target updates first. those land after Jolla releases new version with some delay

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Hello !
Trying to make tablet more usable , and was thinking of flatpack, the kernel version is lower than 3.5 so not possible.?
What about running full linux distros?

Main issue is webpages with video , even with new browser very problematic. and no way to get any firef. chrome etc, because of 4.4 android.
Old firefox would run , but could not find old enough

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by feedme View Post
[...]
Main issue is webpages with video , even with new browser very problematic. and no way to get any firef. chrome etc, because of 4.4 android.
Old firefox would run , but could not find old enough.
Use IceCat for Android (preferably install it per F-Droid client app) or Fennec (the F-Droid client app will offer you the last version, which runs on your device).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Thanks for hints.
Icecat did not install, started but " not installed". Fennec installs , but does not start.
Funny thing is that same networkpages workin nicely with JollaC and std browser , are not ok with tablet.
So Full factory reset was the way I selected, we'll see the result.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:
Ok, now back on 4.0.1.48 , Icecat installs but not running , tries to open and dies. Fennec, also. I feel like there is an issue with x86 versions of the apk's since tablet is x86.

Thanks for hints.
Icecat did not install, started but " not installed". Fennec installs , but does not start.
Funny thing is that same networkpages workin nicely with JollaC and std browser , are not ok with tablet.
So Full factory reset was the way I selected, we'll see the result.
Ok, now back on 4.0.1.48 , Icecat installs but not running , tries to open and dies. Fennec, also. I feel like there is an issue with x86 versions of the apk's since tablet is x86.
Yes, that just came to my mind, when looking for "on which device is that, actually?": "Tablet" = x86!
Well, IceCatMobile (Firefox ESR for Android) and Fennec (Firefox for Android) do not seem to be available, built and packaged for x86, at F-Droid.
Sorry for my misleading comment, which addresses "recent browsers for old Android versions" on armv7a. Note, that very recent Fennec (and Firefox for Android) releases (> 68.12.0) require Android 5, while IceCatMobile will presumably be updated to newer "Firefox ESR for Android" releases, when Mozilla releases them.

Last edited by olf; 2021-02-22 at 21:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
The actual hard question and issue is the following:
I have JollaCx2( intex aquafish config as JC), XperiaX , Xperia-XA2 and Tablet running sailfish 4.
On all others than tablet , even JC, the new stock browser is usable. The question is what is missing from the OS itself on tablet because the Browser engine is the same.?

Tags
flatpak