Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
And after finding a message on screen 'SIM registration failed) or similar, I'm back to where I was before, albeit in R&D mode.

The odd thing is that if i switch the lock button, or press any of the cam butons, open the shutter etc, the keypad flickers (which it does in R&D mode to indicate activity) so there's there's life in there.. Weird... Don't really want to have to reflash AGAIN, but it looks like I'm going to have to..

The Following User Says Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
Reflashed, working again....

Battery ran out, now back to square one...

I guess I'll back everything up and flash the eMMC this time.

It's weird as previously when I got it working the first time, if I took the battery out and put it back in it would still boot properly...

And again...

Weird, it seems that if the battery runs out, it will cause the non booting behaviour, but if I take the battery out (Which I generally do if I notice it's about to die, to avoid having to flash) it works fine when i put it back in.

Power button still does not work, not sure if those two things are connected or not... Weird...

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2011 @ /dev/ttyS0
I ran through this last week and didn't have to reflash. The cause was a low battery when I rebooted it... and my phone always thinks the battery is lower than it actually is (available power increases a bunch several minutes after a reboot).

It did have me wishing I had a more recent backup... that wasn't on the phone. I ended up pulling the battery for a couple minutes, put the battery back in and just plugged in the charger. I didn't do anything else and then I checked on it about 6 hours later, power button worked and it came up fine. I had to redo the initial basic setup (location), and change how I prefer my time to be displayed, but everything else was intact with no reflash.

Mine won't boot once it's in that state even if I leave it until the charge light is green..

The plot thickens - if it dies while the alarm is set, I get the usual 'do you want to switch phone on?' message as it comes alive to sound the alarm.

I plugged it into the charger and pressed yes, and it came on...

Really bizarre this..

The Following User Says Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
Have you tried flashing with the alternative method, as described in the Wiki?

Flash O/S first (no -R switch).
Then flash EMMC (no -R switch).
Flash O/S again (with -R switch).

Had to do this myself when I couldn't boot.

@ijAcK:

Have you tried flashing with the above method too?

Last edited by stickymick; 2012-05-30 at 08:46.

Sorry if i'm new to this and seem like an idiot,
i had the same problem with my n900, battery was low, as i was using a different phone at the time, i left it to one side, ignored the battery warnings.
the next day the phone wouldn't start, totally dead, so i plugged it in to charge, the green light came on quite faintly, i left it to charge and the green light was on as bright as it should be.
again will not power up, swapped battery, still nothing,
put both batteries on a desk charger, still nothing at all,
tested the power button, no problems there,
unable to flash as when i plug in the usb lead, no matter if i hold "u" it doesn't do anything at all apart from the green light coming on again, no sign of booting at all.
the only thing the n900 seems to be any good for is testing my chargers or using it as a paper weight...
does anyone have a clue whats going on?

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by billyguk View Post
Sorry if i'm new to this and seem like an idiot,
i had the same problem with my n900, battery was low, as i was using a different phone at the time, i left it to one side, ignored the battery warnings.
the next day the phone wouldn't start, totally dead, so i plugged it in to charge, the green light came on quite faintly, i left it to charge and the green light was on as bright as it should be.
again will not power up, swapped battery, still nothing,
put both batteries on a desk charger, still nothing at all,
tested the power button, no problems there,
unable to flash as when i plug in the usb lead, no matter if i hold "u" it doesn't do anything at all apart from the green light coming on again, no sign of booting at all.
the only thing the n900 seems to be any good for is testing my chargers or using it as a paper weight...
does anyone have a clue whats going on?
I know this situation is very frustrating as a new user....but try to relax and take things step by step and hopefully, you will get your N900 working again....

I just went through a similar situation recently....you can read through the thread...maybe it will help you...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84630

there's some references to some variations on flashing technique, one called 'Cold Flashing', see link in post #23 in the thread....but read all the posts....was a journey to get it working, but I did....

Good luck!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

The Following User Says Thank You to ArchiMark For This Useful Post: