Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Are you familiar with the flashing process in general -- have you flashed before? If not, you may not realize that the usb symbol only appears momentarily unless you are following the flashing documentation very closely.

Flashing almost always works, once you understand exactly what you need to do, and are set up correctly. The main obstacle would be if your usb connector is damaged for some reason. Then you won't see evidence of a usb connection because there isn't one.
I have flashed before - only once. Right now I don't get a symbol because I have two empty batteries. But i did get one when the battery was full. It just didn't boot then. But even then, hen the battery was full I didn't see the directory tree, or get a sign from the computer that it was connected. I just saw the little anchor-like icon in the upper corner of the phone.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
It is recommended that you make sure the battery is fully charged before you flash, that is probably excessive caution since the flash only takes a few minutes, but I wouldn't try flashing on a battery you think is empty. Get an external charger to charge the battery first, or see if you can borrow a compatible charged battery from someone (remember a few other phones use the same battery)

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by oved_etzot View Post
I have flashed before - only once. Right now I don't get a symbol because I have two empty batteries. But i did get one when the battery was full. It just didn't boot then. But even then, hen the battery was full I didn't see the directory tree, or get a sign from the computer that it was connected. I just saw the little anchor-like icon in the upper corner of the phone.
As long as you saw that icon, flashing will probably work. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
No, it won't show up as a USB drive until it has booted and you have selected the "mass storage" option.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
As long as you saw that icon, flashing will probably work. Good luck!
Thanks. I will get an external recharger and then try.
I assume I should start flashing the FIASCO/*COMBINED*/"rootfs", and only if that doesn't work to try vanilla/eMMc?

Thanks. I will get an external recharger and then try.
I assume I should start flashing the FIASCO/*COMBINED*/"rootfs", and only if that doesn't work to try vanilla/eMMc?
As long as flashing works, starting with the less drastic change sounds reasonable, yes.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
exactly the same problem with me....mods kindly merge the thread.

tried flashing with ubuntu live cd...flashed the emmc then rootfs successfully..but still unable to boot.
Hardware problem I think !

will miss my N900
(

Originally Posted by ply123 View Post
tried flashing with ubuntu live cd...flashed the emmc then rootfs successfully..but still unable to boot.
Hardware problem I think !

will miss my N900
(
If you flashed successfully, you WERE booting, weren't you? What happens when you try to boot? How did you know you flashed successfully?

when the flashing is complete...the message said flashed successfully the message is something like this

USB device found found at bus 002, device address 013.
Found device RX-51, hardware revision 2101
NOLO version 1.4.14
Version of 'sw-release': RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_MR0
Booting device into flash mode.
Suitable USB device not found, waiting.
USB device found found at bus 002, device address 014.
Raw data transfer EP found at EP2.
Image(s) flashed successfully in 4.711 s (9199 kB/s)!