Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Regarding the fact that Maemo6 is still "Maemo" these forums will remain needed and active for longer than one may think (who knows if Nokia will brand MeeGo-Nokia derived things still Maemo?!).

The vBulletin 4.0 upgrade is available for a while now but we stay back at 3.8.2 - members have asked me about it and I do not even know who is looking after the servers atm (could look it up but from my exp as serveradmin you do not have any power but getting blamed for everything if anything is not working the way it should...)

If maemo.org's license is still active - the upgrade is for free (*$175 if not).

As tmo is part of maemo.org and powered by Nokia I guess this needs action by the council if the license is inactive.

As my request for access to Brainstorm was over one year ago I doubt anything will happen without frequent reminders.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Well, the forum's still working. At least we have that.

And IIRC, the theme WILL need porting if they do decide to go from 3.8.2 to 4.0 - it's a major jump. The forum will most likely break for a few days.

Also, I think that Nokia's Maemo 6 should either be split from the MeeGo forum or put in a sub-forum, being not-quite-MeeGo and all that. Even if they do get the seal of approval from MeeGo.com.

EDIT: Can we please have SSO for maemo.org? It's pretty confusing - multiple sites with the same theme, but you'l have to re-register each time.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-05-31 at 12:29.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Regarding the fact that Maemo6 is still "Maemo" these forums will remain needed and active for longer than one may think (who knows if Nokia will brand MeeGo-Nokia derived things still Maemo?!).
Nokia employees don't appear to view Harmattan as anything close to Maemo. If the MeeGo TSG does not approve Harmattan as MeeGo, it's unclear what Nokia will call it. From what I've heard though, the "Maemo" name does not appear to be the automatic, or even a desired, fallback choice though.

...I do not even know who is looking after the servers atm
Reggie is still the t.m.o admin.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Can we please have SSO for maemo.org? It's pretty confusing - multiple sites with the same theme, but you'l have to re-register each time.
I'd still love to see some progress on this. I've given up hope for it happening though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
And IIRC, the theme WILL need porting if they do decide to go from 3.8.2 to 4.0 - it's a major jump. The forum will most likely break for a few days.
Don't know where you are coming from but in my world users do not recognize a thing from it when done properly and all functions are still supported in the newer version. Downtime is no option for a pay-for forum software!

Also, I think that Nokia's Maemo 6 should either be split from the MeeGo forum or put in a sub-forum, being not-quite-MeeGo and all that. Even if they do get the seal of approval from MeeGo.com.
Read again! If branded Maemo it will stay here! If not branded Maemo it will not merge into MeeGo forums as those are for MeeGo and not for any derived distros. Maybe the infrastructure of maemo.org will stay but get renamed and hold the then "old" Maemo and it's rusty remains.

EDIT: Can we please have SSO for maemo.org? It's pretty confusing - multiple sites with the same theme, but you'l have to re-register each time.
SSO is another "requested ages ago" issue! *remind* But has nothing to do with a vBulletin upgrade in general.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Reggie is still the t.m.o admin.
t.m.o admin != serveradmin

I don't know if vBulletin can be easily upgraded from inside itself without access to the filesystem.

Last edited by chemist; 2011-05-31 at 12:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
If not branded Maemo it will not merge into MeeGo forums as those are for MeeGo and not for any derived distros. Maybe the infrastructure of maemo.org will stay but get renamed and hold the then "old" Maemo and it's rusty remains.
People will go where they go; however, to be clear, the official intent for forum.meego.com is as a discussion area for only the central, non-vendor MeeGo project. The MeeGo Community Office have stated that no device specific forums will be created at forum.meego.com. All discussions surrounding specific MeeGo devices and any custom MeeGo UXes manufacturers might create should be held elsewhere.

t.m.o admin != serveradmin
They're both Reggie. He has a box in a datacenter somewhere.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2011-05-31 at 13:11. Reason: mergity merge

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Thank you for your post. A subforum has already been created for MeeGo/Harmattan and I suspect it will remain.

Read again! If branded Maemo it will stay here! If not branded Maemo it will not merge into MeeGo forums as those are for MeeGo and not for any derived distros. Maybe the infrastructure of maemo.org will stay but get renamed and hold the then "old" Maemo and it's rusty remains.
I can understand why you would think these things but the situation is quite uncertain. At the moment, there is no clear demarcation between meego.com and maemo.org. There is a rather tight focus at meego.com whereas the rules are more relaxed at maemo.org. meego.com is also primarily directed toward the software project and not end user devices, whereas maemo.org touches on most everything remotely maemo related (and then some at times!). The branding/compliance certification is a tricky and important issue but not necessarily determinative of the future of the website.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: