Poll: What do you think are the shortcomings of the alleged N900? Multiple votes.
Poll Options
What do you think are the shortcomings of the alleged N900? Multiple votes.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
As posted here

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/05/...blet/#comments

What do you think nokia did wrong with this one?

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
in the poll, you should hage had an option for storage, seperate to memory.

I could dump 64gb into my N800 today. I would have preferred 2 slots, and a bundled card

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
I voted. Especially the screen size is turning me away. Ebooks are by far the most used offline application. Going for a smaller screen is really a no-go. Wasn't there a second device announced?

icke

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
My Votes:

1) Screen Size -- One of the N800/N810 strengths is the screen size, they should have kept it.
2) D pad placement (meaning "there is none"?) -- definitely bad. The Nokia Mako does it right :-)
3) Device Size -- I want a generally N810 size device.
4) Keypad -- Give me 5 rows, or give me ... well, not death, but, yeah, similarly strong emphasis here. Qwerty keyboards without dedicated number rows SUCK.

I didn't vote for Carrier locking ... because, while I would prefer something that can work with both T-Mo and AT&T, I'll be happy with a T-Mo device (that's my current carrier). And, I didn't vote for the battery, because I'm not sure what the actual/total battery life will be on this thing (it isn't mentioned in the specs on that page, that I saw).

(I now have to admit that I've just seen a 4 row qwerty keyboard I can respect: it's on the HTC Fortress, for AT&T -- it still has a dedicated number area though, off to the right side of the qwerty keys, sort of like a full desktop keyboard, only thumb size; there's a picture on Engadget.)

Last edited by johnkzin; 2009-05-25 at 09:31.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
One option missing in the poll - the stand. I'm missing it.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
otoh, with a screen too small to be used for watching videos or such... would you really need a stand? i don't have a stand on my current phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
It is hard to summarize everything in a poll. I don't mind that it is available with carrier lockin, as long as it is also available sim-free.

I don't mind that it has GSM radio, but I expect that it will make it more expensive (In israel, for example, taxes on cellular phones are higher than on computers).

our official nokians haven't voted yet.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post
our official nokians haven't voted yet.
You are kidding me, are you?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Do I see "Cellular voice" in there ?

This is the make or break. If it has voice, I'll forgive the screen size and three row keyboard (the only serious advantage N810 had over new smartphones). If this is WRONG, it's very diappointing hardware-wise. Basically a higher DPI more CPU N97 that fails to be a phone (and manages to lose a dpad in the process). Might be interesting for some people (although not sure who the target audience is...), but then I seriously do not understand why should I upgrade my N810+dumbphone setup. I just seriously (though likely naively) wish this is a Maemo phone with a more NIT-ish (5" screen ? bigger kbd ? full SD ?) second device coming after it.