[Edit: Closely related: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=5621. The links to maemo are broken, btw. Server throwing a 404 with a stack trace pointing to something called midcom.core.]

Hi, mobile devs.

I have used the N800 for evaluation during this spring, closely followed discussions, blogs etc., and played around a little bit on the "hacker side" of this thing.

Haven't coded yet anything for it - native anyway.

I would like to prepare a story on N800 as a development platform.

There seems to be a barrier, however, which I haven't yet managed to overcome. I've tried to digest some maemo articles, how-to's and samples. Many (if not most) of them contain assumptions about the reader which do not quite apply on me.

I'm familiar with C, C++, PHP, C#, Unix core and network API:s etc. but not with GTK or Linux desktop development. I done a simliar evaluation on the Windows Mobile platform a couple years ago when MS was active in Europe and had their Mobile DevCon in Paris 2003.

My main workstation is currently Windows Server 2003 with Visual Studio, Eclipse and some PHP tools. Let's pretend it's a typical XP dev box, however

I've managed to flash the thing, find the command line, install and modify apps etc. but now I would like to start coding. I've figured the best way to approach this thing is through VMware, but not sure yet how.

Creating a basic "Hello, world!" Hildon app isn't fun or useful in itself. I would prefer to build a small sample that somehow covers N800 features (mobility, built-in camera, touch screen, .. ?)

I appreciate any pointers or recommendations, especially from people with a similar background (e.g. long-time desktop/server developers who have jumped to mobile Linux development) - especially on the tool side of things.

Thanks,
Harri

PS. The final story is going to be - at least for now - published in Finnish and on my dev site, maybe also in a Finnish magazine too. Depending on the level of assistance here I might translate (or have translated) it over to English, however.

Ideally, I could also make a screencast (or two) showing the basic steps on how to get up to speed.

Ja sama suomeksi: http://assemblix.net/node/1008

Last edited by assemblix; 2007-05-26 at 16:27.