Active Topics

Makes sense.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
As for quality: I don't know where the hook for such a mechanism would be in the current and future build infrastructure, but I think there's room for an automated "How to further improve your package" section that developers get to see as early is possible, even in -testing.
I was chatting with Ubuntu QA people in their Developer Summit, and they're planning to adopt Mozilla's keywords for standardized usability bug reporting. Stuff like noundo is some part of an application doesn't provide Undo feature etc.

This might be useful for Maemo/MeeGo app QA as well.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
By request, the thread "[Brainstorm 2010] Mirrors for Repos and re-organization" with two posts has been merged into this thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
One of the Packages interface tasks is QA. Basic steps of QA is to check files list of a package (dpkg -L) and review developer scripts (pre- and post scripts). Currently these steps are somewhat difficult to do, so I propose that it's possible to see files list and developer scripts of a package.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
It would be nice to have a proper changelog, and even as possible the changelog as the separate tab in details, and the info would be fetched only when you click on it(as not to download extra info everytime)

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I do not know if this right thread but this place (maemo.org) is like spiderweb with weird connections to everywhere so letīs not care about it Except that this spider has huge procrastinating issues and severe ADHD. Sorry had to say that

About QA process. I think that there should be different QA for different programs. I mean for example take a quick look:
Also
Whatīs common in these threads: Widgets seem to give quite a headache to maemo OS.

Ideas/solutions:
  • Widgets should be treated bit differently and also apps that install ANY daemon to background.
    • Why widgets? They often run constantly in background and call e.g. python once in a while. So I think this is potential high risk area and should be taken with closer look.
    • Bad experiences from widgets affect directly to Maemo.org QA And Nokia [like someone cares ] image of quality
  • Nokia should release devel FW before releasing official fixed and internally tested FW (maybe solution #3 from this brainstorm)

Last edited by slender; 2010-06-09 at 09:31.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
What about showing up the changelog also in the Application Manager on the device?

For some people it could be also useful to integrate the Bug Tracker link from the package details in the Application Manager.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
What about showing up the changelog also in the Application Manager on the device?

For some people it could be also useful to integrate the Bug Tracker link from the package details in the Application Manager.
It+s true that making those links clickable in application managers detailed etc. view would not hurt anyone.

Actually it should be obligatory in QA that all apps that have some GUI window have also about page with link to bug tracker and those that run in cli or are widgets etc. have link in application manager details page.

Last edited by slender; 2010-06-11 at 16:02.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
linking not maemo's repos (vlc, firefox, opera) to maemo's extras repos, while in development and stable versions to main maemo repo

Tags
brainstorm, community, maemo, mirrors, repos