It's certainly possible. It's even possible on a Palm PDA (I think there are several native compiler/build systems for it, at least I know for certain about a Pascal compiler). I never tried that, because the screen isn't big enough (I'm too used to lots of screen estate for development). But the N800 would be better than a Palm PDA for this. GCC is probably a bit large, but there are other compilers.. lcc, for example. You can compile it yourself. I haven't used it for years, but it should still be out there.

Besides, my first Linux computer was a 33 MHz 486 with 16 MB RAM. I routinely compiled gcc itself on it. And even Mozilla, when it was still called Netscape and just open-sourced (took 128MB of extra swap and I had to leave it overnight but still..).
Compared to that, my N800 is a supercomputer.

I tried to find a lcc compiled to be used inside my 770, but no chance, and I have no idea how to compile a ... compiler inside 770 without the compiler ....

Someone would have to build the compiler in the cross-compilation environment of scratchbox for the 770 (on a PC).

EDIT: Actually, I'll have to retract the whole idea about using lcc. I just checked, and it doesn't appear to have an ARM target, so I was mistaken. It can't be used, unfortunately (unless someone's implemented ARM support elsewhere, not included in official lcc sources)

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-05-25 at 10:48.

So, there is anyway to use gcc now in maemo OS2006 nokia 770, last version of os?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by lucky-luke View Post
Yes. but the problems that I have are that I can't have a PC with linux and scratchbox, and I use my 770 as a main device, and a long time ago was a livecd to do this, but now there is only a wmware image with OS2007, and there is very large.
I was trying to install gcc but there are broken dependencies, there is any repo with all of them ok?
Thanks
That VMware image is a waste of time, as far as I am concerned. I downloaded it, and it would not run on my mobil pentium processor. So I downloaded ubuntu cd, which you can run from, used a 30GB usb drive for my /scratchbox filesystem and ran the install script. Worked great for me, and it worked on my laptop....

I had no chance, I tried to download:
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/mae...ree/g/gcc-3.4/
witch seems to be for OS 2006-3
all packages but them seems to no install under my 770, so there is anyone with scratchbox that can create a .deb of gcc?
It would be great to make simple portings.
Please help us trying to do simple portages to our "OLD" N770...

Thanks

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
You must add that repository to sources.list, and then install gcc-3.4 by means of 'apt-get', it should work.

Then to compile you are going to need some packages -dev since the majority of the header files (.h) don't come for default installed, though you can try it.

Cheers,

And, ¿where I can find these -dev packages?
Thanks

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
i believe he is refering to packages ending in "-dev", e,g, "libxau0-dev".

you can do a "$apt-cache search dev"

anyway, i have gcc-3.4-base installed, but i get command not found when i use gcc. g++ doesn't work too.

help will be greatly apprecated.

Originally Posted by lucky-luke View Post
Yes. but the problems that I have are that I can't have a PC with linux and scratchbox, and I use my 770 as a main device, and a long time ago was a livecd to do this, but now there is only a wmware image with OS2007, and there is very large.
I was trying to install gcc but there are broken dependencies, there is any repo with all of them ok?
Thanks
You can run scratchbox on Windows with the QEMU emulator.
http://box.mmapps.net/~keesj/qemu_maemo_gentoo/