Posts: 27 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by Deedend View Post
Hey you say that you want to support anyone want to port another os to this device... Have you ever considered to contact the Ubports or plasma mobile communities (both have a group on Telegram)? They are very active and if you support them I reckon that they will be able to port that OSes to this device.
There is also PostmarketOS that is promising, even if at the very early stage...
Other than that is an utopia to have a port like the one on the moto mod, maybe since you want to keep the same size of the motomod have some sort of similar (and maybe compatible) port, to use theyr mods?

I am dreaming to have finally an hacker friendly device, the only downside for me is the dimensions, 5.5 is way too big unfortunately. I reckon that the perfect size is 5, anyway I cannot expect too much!
Well, the most important is a bootloader free hardware! For the OS there is a lot of possibility. sailfish OS, maemo, PostMarketOS (i like the idea), OpenEmbedded or a good old Debian!

The Following User Says Thank You to kinchan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by fridlmue View Post
I would love to see the new device qith qi-carging. I still think this is the future of bringing power to a device
The device will have USB-C and I'll be happy to use that to charge the phone, this will already be a significant step in the present after the steps back to the past I made recently with my recent purchases (like the tablet having only micro-USB ).

I fail to see real benefits for Qi charging to be honest. For me it just brings bigger chargers and you can't hold your phone while it is charging like you would with a regular cable. And I would not have a Qi charger in every place I need to charge my phone, like work, next to the computer at home, during trips, so cable-charging will always be a thing (or maybe you mean real-wireless-remote charging? I've seen that but the distance from the charger was just a few centimeters).

By the way Chen, will we have some kind of fast-charge like some laptops have nowadays (like the Xiaomi Mi Air)? It's very efficient and really makes you feel a lot more comfortable when traveling, not worrying about saving battery anymore.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Well, I think that qi-charging is really nice since it minimizes the possibility of breaking the USB connector; the only time you need to connect a cable is if you need to flash something since you can use WLAN to ssh to the device

It is good that USB-C is more robust than micro-USB but I still fear for connector damage...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
By the way Chen, will we have some kind of fast-charge like some laptops have nowadays (like the Xiaomi Mi Air)? It's very efficient and really makes you feel a lot more comfortable when traveling, not worrying about saving battery anymore.
Quick charging depends on the platform. This is another benefit of using Qualcomm SoC despite the high upfront cost.

This MSM8953 indeed supports quick charging. So I don't see any problem that it can't be implemented.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Quick charging might sound nice on paper, but it breaks USB compability.

You need to have the one charger in the house that supports it when you go somewhere or else you will be trapped in slow-charge mode ..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I thought an incompatible charger would just charge at a lower pace (doesn't it?).

I'm not too concerned about the USB connector to be honest. This has been my nightmare with the N900, but never had any issue with N9, Jolla or Jolla C, and they were even more tortured than the N900. It's not a rule of course, and it will depend on the soldering on Chen's phone, but at least USB-C is more robust and doesn't have these small friction pins to keep the male connector in.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
so...... it's better not to have it at all? Even if most of us cgarging the phone at home. Or we can get another cahrger for work.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Yeah my personal opinion (which is just mine) is if we go for a 400-600€ phone that's going to be our long-awaited keyboard slider phone with good OS, it's worth moving on and taking advantage of the new technologies. Especially if they provide actual benefits. We'll have to use our brand new USB-C cables anyway, so there's no real point in trying to keep compatibility with our old N9 chargers. And chargers are not really expensive enough to justify downgrading the device capabilities. But again it's just my view of it.

I'm curious about this incompatibility thing. Is it a fact for all fast charging devices juiceme, or just for those with bad implementation, or just bad chargers?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I'm curious about this incompatibility thing. Is it a fact for all fast charging devices juiceme, or just for those with bad implementation, or just bad chargers?
There are at least 4 different implemetations from various device/chipset vendors which are incompatible with each other.
Also just the Qualcomm version seems to come in 5 different generations...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_Charge

And none of these are part of the USB specification!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
But AFAIK, nothing is broken. It will charge with any other charger but slower.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen